Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ducted fan or Jet powered boat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Ducted fan or Jet powered boat

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 01:39 PM
weaselphd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ducted fan or Jet powered boat

Can anyone tell me if there are any builders whom have created or built a ducted fan powered or one of those german JET powered boats, im trying to design and build something new and different, and obviously insanely fast...

please let me know..

thanks
WeaseLPhD
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2003, 03:30 PM
WeLaserCut

Default Fast, no..... Neat, yes.

Any of the turbine or jet powered boats I have ever seen, are not very fast. They look and sound real cool though.
At this point, semi-submerged props are still king. If you could rig a turbine to a transmition and then to a prop, you could get some insane speed. If the prop held up that is.
Right now we are bending current props with the speeds we are running. That is less than 100 MPH. Getting a prop to hold up at greater speeds than that is a black art unto itself.

Peter.

Visit www.climatemodels.com NOW!
Old 07-25-2003, 04:35 PM
weaselphd

thats odd, i noticed on your web site most of the boats are electric?
now you cant run a ducted fan on a boat, i thought that would haul... what jet boats have you seen?

anyway check out the photo below here is the jet drive system i was interested in trying it is like a jet ski drive system... below is the description and picture:

11-1/2” long, 2-1/2” wide. Weighs 10.5 oz. This is perhaps the EASIEST drive system to install in a fast boat. It can be installed into deep-V’s, and flat bottom boats with by just making a simple cutout and some reinforcement in the boat bottom. Turn rudders and reverse bucket are included. Enormous acceleration, extreme maneuverability (it can turn on a spot!). Use glow engines from .21 to .90 or strong electric motors like Mega and Ultra’s. Design of the suction channel allows running at a pronounced tilt or in rough water. There’s no prop or rudder damage from running over rocks or other obstacles. Strong, glass fiber-filled nylon construction. Shaft is 7mm but the end to be coupled to a motor is 5mm. Impeller diameter is 40mm (1.58”).

WeaseLPhD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96376_42318.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	55215  
Old 07-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Peter knows Nitro too.
Ducted fan and turbine powered boats have been tried over in Europe with not much success so far. Blow-overs have been a problem along with the high CG. Blowing one over would be costly. There was some talk in the IMPBA of making a turbine 1/8 scale class but the details have to be worked out which would probably take years to do.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:23 PM
golf_lake

I hope the pic shows up. If you want to go fast this is what you need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96834_13995.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	55216  
Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 AM
shinbones

I know of a guy in Darwin, Oz who's building a ducted fan Wing in Ground-Effect (WIG) r/c boat. I haven't seen it, just heard about it from workmates. I'll try to find out more about it, but I don't think he has a website or any photo's of it posted anywhere, yet.

WIG, huh?? try....
WIG Page

or

r/c WIGs