Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Temp Gauge Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Temp Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
oneboatnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Gauge Question

Could you use a food probe temp gauge instead of aninfrared to check engine temp? My infrared gauge is 30 miles away from me and all I have at the house is a food probe. Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Temp Gauge Question

Why the need to check engine temp?

I imagine you might have a tough time getting accurate reading with a food thermometer since it wont make much metal/metal contact with the motor.

Another question - do you know what temp your motor should be in the first place?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:34 PM
oneboatnut

I was going to use it for a 3 tank bench break-in.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You probably already know what we're thinking about bench running but since you're going to do it anyway, a very simple way is the old spit test. Saliva or drops of water on the head will tell you if you where you're at. If it sizzles, you're hot. If it slowly bubbles away, you're good. Just keep the needle on the really fat side so that it's smoking a lot and barely running.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 AM
amax

The temp gage would work better than the meat prob, like mentioned the probe is meant to have a lot more surface contact. The spit test will work in a bind as it will let you know if your To Hot, if you spit on your finger and touch the water jacket, If it's about right you should Want to pull your finger off in about 3 seconds depending on the calluses on your finger[&:] if it takes longer than 3 seconds it's getting on the Cool Side, If you Think it's Over 180*F do the Spit Test before Touching,,LOL.

But I prefer the Temp Gage Method.

DO NOT Over Rev the engine, High Idle and quick Blips on the throttle no more than about 1\3 throttle.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

A better way to do a break in in to run the boat without cooling ON THE WATER. Run it rich for a couple of laps at a lower speed then bring it in and check the temperature. If it's still cool enough to touch, send it back out. If it's hot enough, you shut it down and make sure the piston is at the bottom of the sleeve and let it cool. When it's cold enough to hold, fire it up and repeat. You will note, I didn't give a high or low temp. There are lots of opinions on high and low so I'm going to let others chime in on their favorite temperatures
Old 09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
oneboatnut

Thanks for the advice. I tried the meat probe and it didnt work so I went out and bought a new infrared gauge.