RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11411721-bro-rc-surfer-custom-boards.html)

YPC 07-05-2013 04:23 AM

RE: Bro rcSurfer's Custom Boards

1 Attachment(s)
Laminated all the other main 'components'........good curing period over the weekend....ready for Monday !

Ombre' Bro' is coming together rather quickly.......its great been in the school recess ....so I have more time 'in the workshop'

Have a Great Weekend all !.....surf is not looking promising.....

YPC 07-05-2013 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ending the day/week off........applying a filler coat to the deck while it is mounted on the stand ...before I turn it around to fit/bond the Pod

YPC 07-05-2013 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shaping the Pod............the Pods shape and symmetry effects the overall ride of the board so accuracy is very important !!!

I always shape the Pod entirely 'before fixing it' onto the boards surface...I use a JIG and templates to ensure consistency and symmetry in the shape...

YPC 07-06-2013 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Podding along !...........hey Ombre' Bro

The Pod, being the part of the board that is most vulnerable to impact of all sorts - being submerged in the water - needs to have good strength.

I lay the pod up with 4 layers of cloth...tapering out toward the rails.....always ensure 'no air bubbles' are present between each layer as you lay the pod up....especially present around the aft section of the pod where the radius is tighter......

Be present as the resin 'kicks' so as to press out any delamination....bubbles....make sure that the corner where the hull and pod join is also free of bubbles and that the layers of cloth are tightly tucked into the corner....

YPC 07-06-2013 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
10 000 views....plus..........wow !

5 months into the thread with 10 000 plus views !!!..... is a huge encouragement to me !.........awesome !

Thanks 'to all' for 'pulling' in.....I do hope you have had some great 'sessions' as you have 'surfed' around.....

Much of what I am posting with regards to the build process is being repeated - mostly because I like to give individual clients the option of myself sharing their very build on the thread...Its an easy upload process for me and an easy visual upload for them... they seem to really enjoy it..

I also know that when I started out.....I really enjoyed 'seeing' as much of any builds as possible....so every one gets to see 'it all'....

Its still absolutely amazing to me how 'easy' it is for us to share and communicate that which we do ....globally !......directly from our place of work......in an instant.

ALWAYS ! feel free to post any questions or to share your build on the thread.....or simply PM / e-mail ( [email protected] ) - I will be stoked to help !

To the next 10 000 views !

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...63/Qn38337.jpg

Visit my YouTube page for Bro rcSurfing action .... http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish .... SUBSCRIBE to stay updated...

Bro'

YPC 07-07-2013 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hull...Filler Coat !......

Before I hollow out the housing and Pod I apply the filler coat to the hull to add the extra strength to the structure.

Remember to level the board out in width and length to ensure a equal flow of the resin.

You can see the Drip Skirt doing its job.....ensuring that the excess resin flows off the board - rather than flow around the rail onto the opposite surface.

The 'blue tape' is a low tack tape that does not leave a residue on the surface when it is removed.......most standard masking tapes I have found leave a tacky residue behind which has to be cleaned off...."mission"

Surf Session !.....Good surf report conditions for this afternoon.......Off-Shore 4-6 ft face......should be good !

bearcave 07-07-2013 03:18 AM

hey bro nice work on the Mexicans.... like the newish pod glass layers and so hear you with the tape... all good bc

YPC 07-07-2013 03:33 AM

Howzit BC !.....getting ready for an afternoon session.......Kids had Ice Hockey this morning !....high tide is at 3pm- so it has worked out well .....

The Pod Layers also add strength to the housing base as well - totals 7 layers all in....seriously strong and rigid !

YPC 07-07-2013 12:58 PM

Enjoyed a 'cold' ....Winter swell.... off-shore session down at Cemetery beach this afternoon...filmed with a very basic 5 X zoom camcorder....as our camera is 'still' being repaired !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXxCNZhIqY

YPC 07-08-2013 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Always great to work being 'Charged' after a great session the previous day !...............I picked up some awesome face size waves at the back line - unfortunately !...the 5 X ZOOM could not film at the distance....Bro was a mere blip.......

Back to Work !.....music on.....workshop vibe happening !.....creating Hombre Bro's housing.

This not only seals the walls of the housing. The Cloth plays an integral part in joining the hull to the housing wall....If this is not done...the hull/floor of the housing will eventually pull away from the foam surrounding it.
If you look at the direction of the cloth weave closely....you will see that both the directional strands are traveling up the wall at 45 digress...this is to add more strength to the bond as you will in effect have twice as much strand strength in the vertical as apposed to perpendicular placement.
Ensure 'no air bubbles' in the corner and that the lamination against the housing wall is well soaked out with no air bubbles. Initial sanding of the wall surface is imperative for this.

YPC 07-08-2013 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Metal Prop arrived to-day.......got it balanced......sharpened......fitted.......AND THEN........WET !......had a awesome 2 pack late evening session down at Muizenberg.....2'3 ft face off-shore.....felt good not to have to 'hold back' on the throttle !

YPC 07-09-2013 03:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hollowing out the Pod and Flow coating the housing/Pod

I now leave the back of the Pod open to remove the pod foam more easily - as I leave a portion of the housing deck in place for the battery to rest on.
It is sealed off with tape so that the flow coat does not spill through whilst coating the housing/pod.

It gets closed with epoxy when I am fitting the drive shaft housing in place.

Once the flow coat has cured -the overlap around the housing wall is trimmed down - this method saves the deck from the flow coat.

A great rcSurf stand is a simple ice-cream container......"my kids love buying me Ice-Cream containers.....LOL...they are so kind !"

YPC 07-10-2013 02:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Housing laminate trimmed - deflection rim fitted......

Before fitting any 'appendages' ( things protruding the surface).....I give the filler coat a thorough sand....flatting out any bumps etc. If you try doing this once their are appendages its makes it harder trying to work around them.

Once the deflection rim is fitted- it get s a coat of sanding resin to saturate it.....when cured it will be sanded and another coat of sanding resin will be applied when the gloss coat process is done.

YPC 07-10-2013 02:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rudder Tube installed............

This installation needs to be done 'right' as the rudder tube is constantly under strain and also absorbs the impact when the rudder hits an object.

Besides ensuring good epoxy saturation within the foam around the brass rudder tube by drilling an oversize hole filled with slow set epoxy....also ensure that an epoxy rim is built up around the brass tube at the surface. This rim around the brass tube, now connected to the laminated surface - will add 'extra strength' to the brass tubes fixing.

When the final Gloss Coat is applied...it to will flow a rim around the extended brass tube....once cured the brass tube can be trimmed down on either side......now well secured.

YPC 07-11-2013 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gloss Coat on the Deck.....

The filler coat is sanded down to a smooth finish.....the Gloss Coat fills in any small imperfections.....

YPC 07-11-2013 09:55 PM

Surf Session:........had two great sessions yesterday !....it was a 'peach' of an afternoon !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rUKzpO-lUY

YPC 07-12-2013 12:38 AM

Second session down at the 'berg'....our local beach...very social fun hang out....especially in the late afternoon.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GJ2mX22Ww

YPC 07-12-2013 11:59 AM

Had another 'sweet' session this afternoon................just saw the movie 'Big Wedding'......great laugh !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkmXM2ChlNE

YPC 07-13-2013 12:18 PM

Bro enjoying a 'Mexican wave'......

It always great to 'share the stoke' between sessions....my mate - recently back from the US - has opened Dos Vacas ( Mexican restaurant) on the Muizenberg beach front....a Great Spot to pull into for great food and vibes if you are ever local !......from 8 till L8 !

Even when the surf is far from perfect.... their is always a little pocket to exploit....'making it that much more challenging and satisfying'.....when it happens......not to mention the 'good vibes' that come with beach lifestyle !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpu-PYCpnY0

bearcave 07-14-2013 04:52 AM

Nice vid Bro imo it's all about lifestyle and chance happenings... best vid yet 5 stars for you... bc

YPC 07-14-2013 07:55 AM

:)

YPC 07-14-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks BC.....glad you enjoyed it.......Yep ....Life is for the most "what we make it"

Had to give up my 'day job' for this lifestyle....LOL My kids sure keep me out of mischief with their sport Itinerary. Soccer - Surfing - Skateboarding - Dancing - Figure skating - Ice Hockey - Drama ....... and some !

Here is a vid I put together of their Pee - Wee club match to-day: Tough little Guys !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhJY-tCHig

YPC 07-15-2013 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well ! our three week school vacation is over - Its Back to School in the Yoiung'z house ! We had an awesome time....chilling and doing all the things we love to do....but its back to 'work' for now.

I little tip to share as I had an inquiry about sand clogging up the water cooling system.

Every time I come back from a session I flush the water cooling system out with a degree of high pressure from the garden house. If the system is left 'un-flushed' it is sure to eventually block up with accumulated sand and salt.

bearcave 07-16-2013 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bro and all ******** enthusiasts.

The cooling system is very important... i have been running dual systems for motor and esc in case one system blocks up (replacing motor or esc not both is cheaper..)

I am going just one system on my new building board... theoretically should give enough coolin... btw not likin the way the cooling tubes stick up and create mega drag did modify them a bit on a kyosho but not on an nqd.... didn't notice any difference in performance streamlined or stickin up... then again that perception is un- important.

The fact is they will block up whatever system one uses especially in the shore break....

I always have a tomatoe sauce squeezy bottle full of water (maybe two) whenever surfing.... helpsclean off the salt before removing thedeck BUT works best at reverse flushing the coolingsystem after every battery, sometimes even after a bigsand shorey mid battery, andfits themega drag cooling pipes perfectly.

Hose pipe is good... mandatory reverse flushineven better.... maybe thesethoughts will help others not cookin the expensive stuff...

All good Bro just sharinwhat has worked sofarhere's a bad pic of what i'm sayin..... lol..... bc

YPC 07-16-2013 11:37 AM

Hey BC.....great contribution.....its all about "Staying Cool".......a good life lesson.......LOL

I like the Tomato sauce bottle - I carry a small 10 ml syringe in my beach pouch with a short piece of silicon tube connected to it. Its great to 'back wash' the water cooling system with a degree of water pressure - should some sand be blocked some where in the system....

INFORMATION IS "KING"....sharing is caring....that what we teach our kids.....LOL