RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC fishing boat? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/11642024-rc-fishing-boat.html)

krashkart 09-30-2017 09:17 AM

RC fishing boat?

I am considering trying one of the RC fishing boats. I am older and semi disabled and walking shorelines is not an option for me but I grew up fishing and love it.
The Radio Ranger II gets a lot of press.
Are there others I should consider?

Tidnab 09-30-2017 10:04 AM

First check with your states fish commission to see if it's legal to use one of these. I too have old age problems and have arthritis in my shoulders which makes it hard to cast. The PA fish commission said no to my request to use a boat,unless it on your own pond.I only wanted it to take the bait out, but they refused and said I'd get fined.
Second ,even though the boat is about 3' long, a good size fish will probably swamp it. May be good for sunfish ,bluegills or simular fish.
This isn't even a big fish. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...4C&FORM=VRDGAR

krashkart 09-30-2017 10:15 AM

I checked with AZ Fish and Game a couple of years ago and there is no regulation against the RC boats. You do still have to have a fishing license to fish with one however.
I have seen videos of the Ranger bringing in quite large fish although locally about all we have are stocked Rainbows. the local lakes. Also some catfish and bass of course.
I have seen conflicting messages about how the line release works with the Radio Ranger and I may have been looking at some older posts.
Some say the line will release from the Velcro dot when the fish takes the line and others say you press a button on the remote and it releases and I would prefer to have the later.

This is what is on their website right now referring to a button on the remote.Use Line Release

If you don't want to waste any money on fish food to bait them, you can try out the R/C Fishing Pole's line release feature. As soon as the fish takes the bait, you can release the line with a press of a button on your remote. Once the line has been released, you can manually reel the fish back in or use the automated function on your remote. This method has been proven to be time-saving.

FISHFUN 10-01-2017 12:24 PM

I thought best to chime in to clarify the line release question or anyone. The Rc Fishing Pole, and the Fish Fun Co. Rc Fishing Boats don't have a push button style line release system. All the Fish Fun Co. products which includes the Radio Ranger use the Velcro dot line release. I've been with Fish Fun Co. since 2008 so I would consider myself a good source if you have any questions. One thing you can consider too is that The Rc Fishing Pole will attach to any rc boat, so if you have a rc boat in mind you want to use you can. Also, worth mentioning is the Fish Fun Co. 2 year warranty any defective parts replaced free.

krashkart 10-01-2017 12:26 PM

TNX for info, but that leaves the copy and paste from the current website a bit confusing to me.

Tidnab 10-03-2017 04:10 AM

Your thread got me thinking about building a 1.5 x the regular size Springer tug to use as a fishing boat and also a rescue boat for my gasser.I started one a few years ago which is 12" x 26" but never finished it. The hull is sitting on a shelf. It would have twin lathe motors and would have enough weight and torque to fight the largest fish in a private pond I some times fish at. That pond isn't governed by the PA Fish Commission.Right now I have my Expresscraft VX Rocket back on the work bench to work on after my before winter projects are done.

aspeed 10-03-2017 06:26 AM

I have been thinking of making a boat for fishing as well. The Ranger one said something about a 2 lb limit. I live on Lake Erie, so there are a lot of things over 2 lbs. The neighbor seems to get a lot of channel catfish, and I have seen a few pretty big sheephead carp. It would be nice to get some yellow perch or pickerel, but I would hate to lose a boat because the fish is too big. Like maybe a Muskie or something. Not sure what the rules are either. I have a lot of big slippery rock on the shore which could make baiting a bit dangerous too.