RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

M°°K 07-12-2009 07:10 AM

RE: RC Surfer

Morning all, <div>
</div><div>My first post here, Woooo. Glad I found this forum. I'm a surfer in Cornwall, UK. I injured my knee last year so have been unable to surf for a while, and so I was given a chineese Lisa as a present which is sooo cool. I have a problem with a leak that hasn't been mentioned in any previous posts.</div><div>Alot of  water gets into the hull via the rudder. If I take the rudder out, I can see the hole it goes into (The pipe) is not glues or sealed on the top side ( where the rudder pokes through) so water is comming in through the rudder section, into the 'Pot' and then off into the hull. Has anybody else had this problem? And should there be a small rubber ring on the top of the rudder as well as the bottom of the rudder? I have one rubber ring. Many thanks in advance. Matt</div>

M°°K 07-12-2009 08:11 AM

Also, can anyone write me a list of stuff I need to put into my Lisa to make her run longer and faster. I have no idea about RC surfers but would love to make my surf dudette fun and reliable. I've looked at all the previous posts and there are lots of cool things to do to her but I need a list of what to get. I can understand the 'fix all the leaks' bit. Haha. I'll start a list so whoever can add stuff onto the end.<div>
</div><div>I need an engine, I understand that a Brushless one is good<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>A battery or two for longer run time. Lipo or the other type<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>An ESC. Dunno what it does but sounds like I need one<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>A waterproof box to put the electrics in like some of you guys.<span style="white-space:pre"> </span><span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>A propella and a shaft and a bolt thing to hold it all together<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>A better Remote Control Steering thing (excuse my lack of knowlege) The unit you hold.<span style="white-space:pre"> </span>:</div><div>
</div><div>And whatever I might be missing.</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks in advance again</div><div>
</div><div>Matt</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

LONGBOARDT3 07-12-2009 01:55 PM

I wonder how many 540 watt motor gives the serial ...
this Motory, drums 3200nic. 30A and drive is only 5 minutes to 100%!
I am losing hope!

TechyJoe 07-13-2009 07:33 AM

M��K

I've encountered this leak as well. I removed the rudder and the rubber grommet, then placed a coat of thin CA glue around where the rudder assembly (tube thingy) meets the hull. I also added a thin coat of epoxy glue inside the rudder hatch where the tube thingy meets the hull.

Also, some answers to some of your questions above:

1) Yes, Brushless motor (540 type) Lots of selection out there.
2) Lipo batteries are the best. You will need a Lipo battery chrager as well.
3) ESC is the speed controller to control the speed of the motor. Get one with Battery Elimination Circuit (BEC). This removes the need for a second battery to control the radio receiver. Your ESC will need to be for a brushless motor (if you go brushless).
4) You surfer probably already came with a semi-water proof box?
5) Your surfer already should have a sufficient propeller and shaft. You will need a shaft to motor adapter (see previous posts - there are some listed).
6) Yes, you will need a better radio transmitter and receiver (propertional steering and speed controll). This doen not need to be fancy. Two channel pistol grip AM radio will work fine. They usually come with the receiver and 1-2 servos. You will need to replace the stock surfer servo with the one which comes with the radio.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aggressor..._7310_prd1.htm

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JAC

M°°K 07-13-2009 03:24 PM

<span style="font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; ">Thanks very much for the speedy reply TechyJoe. I'm going to have a look on Ebay uk and see what I come up with. How many lipo batteries would I need?</div></span>

M°°K 07-13-2009 04:56 PM

How about this for the motor<div>
</div><div>http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported
</div>

LONGBOARDT3 07-14-2009 02:49 AM

someone who is not using bruslhes it works well and fast?
I am a student and I have no money to spend on this hobby in brusshles... S.O.S
thanks

I found this page .... I hope you will be of great interest
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp#

TechyJoe 07-14-2009 01:36 PM

M��K

Be careful, this looks like an "out-runner" motor to me as apposed to an in-runner (and ebay is not providing that info for you). With an out- runner, the outer part of the motor is connected to the shaft and spins with the shatf. Where an in-runner, the shaft turns inside the can portion of the motor (like a normal can motor). This one may also not be of 540 size. So, you want: in-runner brushless of 540 size. You also should find a motor which can produce about 3000rpm. The one pictured on ebay says 1000rpm.

Do a Google search 540 brushless to learn more about these motors and then once you find something that matches the criteria, then search Ebay for it if that is where you wich to purchase from.

TechyJoe 07-14-2009 01:40 PM

M��K

The motor advertised beneath the one you selected is more like the one you need. It is a can style in-runner 3600kv per volt rpm.
However, it is of 370 size which is physically to small a motor for the surfer application and is only rated to 7amps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...BUCI%26otn%3D4

LONGBOARDT3 07-14-2009 01:54 PM

we really need?
rpm?
or force?
maybe too many revolutions, the propeller makes vacuum in the water?
you use another type of helix?

M°°K 07-14-2009 03:44 PM

Wow, thanks <span style="font-family: tahoma; font-size: 11px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">TechyJoe . I had a look in my local model shop today and they showed me some 540 motors but they all looked really small. This one on ebay looks the right size. I think I fixed that leak with a load of window and door sealant. That rubber stuff. Ha. I'll go for the motor you showed me on ebay if you think its the right one. Thanks for helping out. Now I need an esc (with a thingymawhatsitsname) and some Liposucksion batteries. Ha</span>

M°°K 07-14-2009 03:54 PM

Ha, you're post was really long and it went off the page for about a mile and I only read the first part first time around. I've read the whole of it now and will look for a different motor. Oops. Almost ordered it too.

Yowza 07-16-2009 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Techyjoe -<div></div><div>Here's a pic I took of the cooling system. It's not finished or cleaned up, I was testing how it went like this.</div><div></div><div>Ran for about 20 min non-stop and no heat issues at all. Battery was probably the hottest.

Also here's a link to a Youtube clip I made of it's first run. The surf was rubbish for it and the video quality just as bad :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ZgEtxdvTc[/youtube]</div><div>

</div>

TechyJoe 07-16-2009 08:07 AM

Yowza

Looks great. The You-Tube video displayed right from the RCUniverse page..... How cool..... Didn't know you could do that. I thought you could only provide a link to YouTube. NICE :)

Thanks for the internal picture. I noticed that the Kyosho water intake port and output ports are located much closer to the center of the board making your hose runs much shorter and straighter. The NQD versions are much further back. This makes the hose runs much longer and the water must travel further to get to the electrics. I also needed to put in several arching bends in the hose, which is also probably restricting the flow.

I did improve the input port. I purchased some aluminum tubing which is has a diameter of about 4mm which is much larger then the original. My though is that this would work like hydraulics where there is a larger input diameter which condenses to a smaller one which should cause a pressure in the tube to push the water to the electrics. Seems to work better.

One last thing: Did you add the weight to the bottom of your board? I noticed you where getting some skip at high speed. The weight should help reduce/remove this skip as well as upright the surfer faster. I purposely positioned my weight so the board is balanced in the middle with a slight bit of bow heavyness. This is so when I do jumps, the bow starts to point down as it falls.

LONGBOARDT3 07-16-2009 09:45 AM

someone has to try another type of helix?

M°°K 07-16-2009 11:58 AM

Thats a cool vid Yowza, what set up have you got, motor and the other stuff. I'm just trying to source a whole new inside's for mine. So far I've stripped everything out and hopefully waterprofed it.

TechyJoe 07-16-2009 01:33 PM

LONGBOARDT3

You can only chnage the pitch of the prop/helix because there is no room to change the diameter. More pitch will improve speed but reduce power. A larger prop and less pitch increases power but reduces speed.

If you are using the stock brushed motor, this already has NO power so increasing the pitch would only decrease the power further. You really need to upgrade to a brushless motor.

M°°K 07-16-2009 02:06 PM

<span style="font-family: Times; font-size: 16px; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; -webkit-background-clip: initial; -webkit-background-origin: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; ">Just ordered some screws and the deck seal from surfcurls.com as my dude still leaks.:(. Hopefully won't take too long to get to the uk. Pesky leaks.<div>There is water getting into the hull from somewhere. Had to drill a small hole in the hull and suck the water out with a straw. I'm hopeing its just the bad screws and seals.</div></div></span>

Paolo.75 07-16-2009 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: M��K
There is water getting into the hull from somewhere. Had to drill a small hole in the hull and suck the water out with a straw. I'm hopeing its just the bad screws and seals.</div></div></span>
Probably from the motor shaft...

surfcurls 07-16-2009 03:24 PM

Nice Job Yowza !

Your first video was great, cant wait to see more !

Could you take a couple of shoys of the antenna set up again, the inside and the top deck close up would be a lot of help to perfect this new set up.

M°°K 07-16-2009 04:35 PM

Have now sealed up the motor shaft with loads of bathroom silicone. Thanks Paolo. I hope dudette is now watertight. 

M°°K 07-16-2009 04:56 PM

Me again, I've found a place where they seem to have alot of motors and esc's. Not sure which one is the right one, or the combo of both the esc and motor. Any help would be most welcome. (And try not to pick the most expensive one) :D

surfcurls 07-16-2009 05:01 PM

Got your order packaged, and will ship tomorrow ...

M°°K 07-16-2009 05:20 PM

Wow, thanks very much. Still confused about motors though. I see you have an upgrade kit on you're cool website. A bit expensive for me though unless you have any used or second hand stuff? haha:D

surfcurls 07-16-2009 05:27 PM

Matt, I'll hook you up a great deal, I'll email you now