RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

surfcurls 11-25-2012 08:12 PM

RE: RC Surfer

Glass Class 101

I have stated over the years, I never glassed, and couldn't Glass A Glass.
I Proved myself wrong, I have glassed my first board, Still dizzy from the fumes lol.

I have a couple of glassers, One in Oahu, One in Florida and they are great and into it, and help me tons.
But They are Also SURFERS, And if the swells up, No work gets accomplished.
I totally understand, and now know how my bosses felt when I didn't show up for a work day
Because it was offshore and firing ...

Hence I wanted to try and learn. I Have enjoyed the processes
and Have total respect for all the Builders that glass so professionally.

I'm loving the UV Lam / Sand rez. They Bake immmediately.
Looking at using a Blacklight system if no sun, Anyone tried it ?
The internet has some info, but I want to try a simple system
with (2) 40w T12 bulbs and a basic shop ballast
would cost under $50 to rig it up.

InDaTube 11-25-2012 08:42 PM

Hey,<div>I'm trying to post some photos and get a SERVER ERROR... 500</div><div>Any tips?</div>

surfcurls 11-25-2012 08:52 PM

Me too, Same Error.
I'm trying to upload a pic of my glassing 101

It's definetly an RCU Issue

bearcave 11-25-2012 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys most appreciated...... especially kite for posting my first go thanks mate.

I live close to flat water but not close to the waves for me can be up to an hour drive (I hear you powerpark)..... just had to post something being so excited getting the camera finally operating.

My mate took a vid of this board a few years back in the local waves when it was running a 7.2v NiMh batt..... It's not much better than my latest first/last attempt but worth a laugh..... going to try and upload it now.

maui john... if i persist with this camera thing I hope topost some wet and grizzly action in the waves soonish... maybe even a roartoo butmore than likely astray fish will jump in my mouth..... at least i'll get a free dinner but......lol

bearcave 11-25-2012 11:30 PM

nup not happening working on it......... rol (roar out load)

InDaTube 11-25-2012 11:38 PM

Bearcave.....

That video was awsome ........
You were ripp'in
InDaTubeLarry

bearcave 11-25-2012 11:55 PM

i give up for now..... crow noise

bearcave 11-26-2012 12:57 AM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT5rFQThDj0&amp;feature=share&amp;list=PLE 6CE934979BC2912[/youtube]

YPC 11-26-2012 01:50 AM

Hi Bearcave.......I dont know why but it seems to be skipping your video and starting on a French chaps upload.
Just paste the link so that I can go to the YouTube screen

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 11-26-2012 04:05 AM

YPC i just did all the antivirusfull scan stuffon my computer thinkin there maybe somenasty virul dogs hiding in them trojan horses.... but there were none.
Spent some time re connecting with you tube too...... might need a solicitor to help outonthat trip but.

I tried to upload the vid i wanted numerous times but all it did was keep reloading the vid that we all see..........it is in my "favourites" section onyoutube.

Cut and paste without scissors and paper... sounds likeswimmin in kelp within a body bag.....Oh well best i try again so having another go at it all soon.

bearcave 11-26-2012 04:35 AM

ok after checking out my mates vid it seems to have a very small youtuby thing to paste?..... i'm gunna paste it anyway.... If it doesn't work doesn't matter i cant spend anymore time on this.

If you are still realy bored and want to see very basic surfing of beach slop go to youtube and punch in "******** cronulla australia" and it should come up its the only one under that name...... it was about 3yr ago my mates channel is 'mome888'

Sorry for all the problems guys.... have to go hunting for food now.... rcsurfing is good but

[youtube]http://youtu.be/RT5rFQThDj0[/youtube]

powerpark 11-26-2012 06:56 AM

Bearcave .....<div>Wow you guys have some great long waves to ride. Big air jumps. Enjoyed it very much!</div>

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 11-26-2012 08:19 AM

ITs got to be cybermonday ,, messing us up

YPC 11-26-2012 08:33 AM

Hi Bearcave..........

That board handles the surf 'very well'.......you had a good few great rides and airs........STOKED!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 11-26-2012 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: powerpark

Bearcave . Nice video , looks like it can by tilted up and few degrees and it will be right on. It pans good and looks very clear. Nice Job!<div>Can we get a look at that board? It handels well and its fast! Very cool.</div>
Thanks for the nice comments about the flat water vid guys....and those that saw the old footage on youtube.... InDaTubeLarry, not sure if I was rippin but was certainly punching in the power, much more than is usualy needed in the waves.

As I am unable to glass a glass either (classic surfcurls) but I hope to learn one day so I can eventually build a proper board too.

Anyway one of the biggest probs with these production boards is the "bounceing" they get the faster they go. I didn't want to go down the negative rocker thing so I tried tapeing bits of foam on the tail to try and rectify the bouncewithout messing up the surfing ability. At one time I had a very long pintail then a square tail. Anyway it got so confusing Isettled with a general round tail then painted it so I wouldn't keep changing things and just went surfing. I used epoxy resin with some fiberglass to seal it all after the shape was done.

Here aresome old pics of what I did to the tail of this board so you nqd/kyosho guys can get an idea of my trip..... would recomend checking the tails of the pro guysbutasi'm not sure if this is that great...... not sure iffilling the cutoutswas a great idea either... but the experimenting iskinda fun if you have thetime.

surfcurls 11-27-2012 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MJ
Cyber Monday is totally slowing down the Web.

Bear
I found that actually trying to glass wasn't that hard (got some good tips from the best)
It's kinda like painting glue onto cloth. With The UV Resin, it makes it a bit more easy. Dries in 3 minutes !

With The Chine/channels I have, I learned to tack a few spots on the cloth
then dont allow the rez to be at any folds you plan to resin later (like rails, Channels)
If Resin hits those spots, the cloth will harden and not allow the cloth to fold into the curves Properly.
My Fisrt go was OK, and with a few more trys it should be dialied in...

InDaTube 11-27-2012 02:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MJ,

InDaTubeLarry has a new Servo......
Fast and Precise, love it.

YPC 11-27-2012 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys......rcSurfing....just keeps going strong!

Indatube....... awesome photos.......the waves look so chilled......your Maui Surfer looks very comfortable on the face, pulling great cut backs and hanging on the lip !.....love to see some video action...........

Curls.......remember ! when glassing "patience is a virtue" - don't rush it - no second chances..............Glassing the way you are - with the boards foam core profiles being an 'all in one' set up, is very challenging, requiring a few various sections of cloth and overlays......Your 'cut - a - ways' look somewhat 'deeper' than the original kyhoso and as you say can pose a 'glassing problem'.....How many layers of cloth are you applying and what ounce cloth are are you using ?

My latest board has a softer nose shape, still being of the same size and general profile. I have gone with a slightly 'larger' pod- to increase center line lift in the turns - wanting to increase the lean further. I have found that with the smaller Pod, the center line lift in the turn is minimal, leaving all the lean effect to the Bi-Fin.

Like when the board is placed on a solid surface, the raised pod will lift the center line and the board will rest onto one of its rails - I reckon by increasing the potential of the pods ability to lift the center line in the water. more lean will be achieved...........as the CG is shifted onto the turning rail.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE!

YPC 11-27-2012 03:31 AM

Hi Bearcave...

With your board pics........have you extended the prop out further ?.........and...........is their any theory to share around the thin/raked/rudder fin ?

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

YPC 11-27-2012 05:13 AM

An interesting concept now available on brushless motors allowing one to switch between a 'Y' or 'D' configured motor - the exsplanation and numbers help to exsplain th edifference.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

powerpark 11-27-2012 06:35 AM

Bearcave ..<div>I checked out the still photos. I have the kyosho board. Mine does bounce. I kinda got used to it. It does bounce more on flat water running wide open. In the surf I use short blasts of throttle up and down the waves. And the bounce is now bad to deal with. I like to drive in the waves in and out.</div><div>Its the best race course , always changing and keep you on your toes. LOL. Like Tony the Tiger said. "ITS GRRRRRRR  GREAT" Im showing my age. hehehehhehehhe</div>

powerpark 11-27-2012 06:59 AM

YPC...<div>Wow the electric motor is moving head. If only Testla was here to check it out. We owe it all to him. A<span style="font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Arial;">djustable phase wiring. Warp speed is comming soon!!! Very interesting tech tip.</span></div>

billybongo63 11-27-2012 09:46 PM

<span style="font-size: medium">Thanks for the welcome everyone, there is definetly surf in Oregon, but it is cold and I'm not sure I'm willing to swim/paddle for a retrieve. That said I've been doing a little recon for possible spots and found a few that look promising.

Finalized (I hope) the build plan and have ordered parts. They are starting to trickle in.
Kyosho Lisa Build:
Stock hull, shaft rudderand figure.
Leopard 3660 3060kv 2 pole, Leopard 36x50 cooling jacket
Swordfish 90a esc
Duratrax (futaba) waterproof servo
Turnigy nano-tech a-spec lipo, 3s 4500mah 65c
FrSky tfr4 reciever, compatible with my futaba 4PKS

Worked on the water pick up/outlets today, drilled them @ 3/16th" (5mm) and braised some brass tube to 90* fittings.
Firts time braising, and the micro torch that didn't solder well kicked butt at sweating the fittings!
Planning on 2 seperate cooling systems,1 each for the esc and motor.

Pics to follow, my hope is to have it together and flatwater tested by my birthday, Dec 15th.
Thanks again for all the knowledge and stoke shared here!
Aloha 'oe-Billybongo</span>

billybongo63 11-27-2012 10:06 PM

Here's a 5mm to 4mm coupler for anyone using the original solid shaft:
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB4259
5mm to 4mm 23mm long

can also be found on ebay</p>

surfcurls 11-28-2012 12:08 AM

Indatube

Great Pix !

YPC
The boards glassed by the crew are 2 layers of 6 oz.
The one pictured is my test project. I'm doing (1) layer 4oz then (1) layer 6 oz.
My real board has 1 layer of 4 oz & 1 layer 6 oz for (bottom) & 2 - 6 oz on the deck, so it got me thinking 12 oz of glass may not be needed
so I'm gonna test 10 oz and maybe 8 oz.