RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

bearcave 01-25-2013 01:15 AM

RE: RC Surfer

ORIGINAL: YPC

A lighter hull - going much faster - will be sure to be 'light' on the water. (scitish)....Like a race car with no down force.........

JIMI and others have always advocated that extra weight added to the keel and some inside gave the board a better ride.........I think the average weight was about 2kg or even just over - 2.1kg's.

Its a constant 'ding dong' battle - finding the best relationship between ideal weight and best run times...........the best scenario is to be able to 'add weight' if and when.....depending on conditions.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

hey YPC i agree..... but if the waves are small and glassy little lightweight kyo's aregood.... a bit bigger the heavier NQD goes better.... none of them likemuch chop.....adding theextra weight helps a bitbut imo just made em more sluggish.

Yeh the kyo is abit scitish (bit likea cat when its let out ofa bag its been in for a while..... lol) your points are valid.... i have changed the tails and played with fins and weighting but seriously think they have reached maximum hull speed and probably maximum everything.
I would never go back toheavyNiMhbatts but can't agree more with surfcurls regarding the bigger the mahthelonger the run times.

That said.......
I recently purchased mauijohns 'how to' dvd..... been keepinpart of an old surfboard for a while now for this trip.... after a first quick dvd look last night I realised how much bigger and different these custom boards are compared to the little ones.
yes have a lot to learn espec with the glassing/shaping trip and a garage full of crap in my way but hope to build one of my own this year..... another reason why ive beenwatching you and the others for a while taking the ******** into the future....

I only know about the little boards and add my 20chopingit helpsother enthusiast get more into it....... BUT if i knew back then what i know now i would prob not even bother with all the work involved getting it together but if you have one and keen still rekon they are a cheap starting point to get into the stoke.

just sayin...... bearcave

bearcave 01-25-2013 01:49 AM

Hey surfkiwi well done glad your getting addicted..... having no water inside is a great starting point.

Yes you can cut Lisa legs shorter she is a bit tall. I stayed away from the foam stuff inside it doesnt work that good and adds extra weight.
I glassed around her leaky joints and drilled holes in her feet so any water in wouldhave a wayout BUT she is a basket case and you will eventually divorce her.

Btw i've heard and seen plastic bottles used as dudes. Theyhave no visual connection with reality but work good getting you're hull more sorted!

In a perfect world you will take RC Resinators advice along with mauijohns... heading that way now myself but hey stick with what you have for a while and with minimal expense you will learn lots about you're new addiction.

PS.... as far as i know Kelly Slater grew upEast coast USAin the warm but small swell waters. No doubt he was way keen and learnt how to milk everything out of them little waves.... F1 motorcyclists and all iguess start off with no power learnthe racecraft and how to get around thetracks withthe most efficiency... anyway what i'm sayin is whatever you learn nowwith practical experience can only help later.

Thinkin you alreadyknow that a variable throttle will be better than flat out or nothing hey

YPC 01-25-2013 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Howzit Bearcave......all good points..........and as you say, the Customs are certainly 'the next step'

I have no doubt that you will be able to put a Custom board together.......in fact.......it is as cheap.( if not cheaper).......most guys are paying around $60 - $100 for a plastic board, which they then gut entirely, only to replace most all the running gear with much the same as one would use in a custom build.

The $60 cost of the board will quite easily cover the cost of a block of foam - glass - resin - sand paper etc .........in my estimate it should cost no more than $40 for the Foam - Resin and Glass.

I reckon, as I have quoted before - if you had to build a board equal in size to the Kyhoso etc - purchasing all the gear from HK - you could get away with $200 for everything.

Shaping and glassing the board is not 'rocket science' .......I have a few formula's which a believe have helped in the design.......but a good eye and some common sense will go a long way. The great thing is- its very cheap to make the actual board - so - like most of us - accept upfront that it is a journey and that the first board will 'not be' the last.

The TRIP is shaping every new board with the anticipated expectation of its performance.................like Resinator expressed........its as exiting as that first wave !

Why not get that garage cleared out.......put the plastic on the shelf........strip that old board you have been storing.........and get down to SHAPING.........

WARNING - ONCE YOU START YOU WILL NOT STOP !!!!

This one is ready for the final 'GLOSS COAT'

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

The only 'COSTLY' resource is TIME.......if some one else has to do it for you .........it will be COSTLY.....

RC Surfer 01-25-2013 10:36 AM

YPC not everybody has a hobbieshop or the money or the talentor the timeor the go proto just fling out a custom Board and take pictures.,LOL The plastic boards do just fine in fact in the more exsperienced hands they kick *****. Once your at the point of keeping the board water tight is all that matters and then from there you can start tweeking the board and doll for performance. Since I haven't finished my custom board yet I can still kill it with my Old Dude (13+ years) some 4000 + runsand from what I see on the vids every body is putting out I really don't see the difference or any better performance than what I have. There is so much more to it than meets the eye,and the plasticboardsare a good learnig platform.I think stick (radio) time is really the performance end of it, but you can't get there without asound board and it's not to hard to geta plastic board to really perform.

Surfkiwi, The surfer is key what ever you put on the board keep it under 4oz. and short as possible. Adding weight to the bottom islast resort but it may benessesary and ballance the center of gravity maybe byplacing weight where needed.The chick has had every thing that you can think ofdone to itand it just doesn't work!! YPC has a great idea for a light weight surfer. Iove the foamy original dudes if you can find one!!
I run a 6 cell 5000 NiHd battery w/5800 kv brushless motor 20 to 30 min run time pending conditions, 120 amp/240 amp surgeESC and 200 in.oz. steering servo. most of the electros are8+ years running and still going!
As far as the mods go there hasbeen so much written on it, you'll have to go back and start reading, you'll save time and money to read first and ask questions seems to help. good luck withit and as far as the STOKEcomes with the territory.
Hope it Helps, Later BB

YPC 01-25-2013 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey BB......LOL

My point 'was not' in any way to discredit what a number of guys such as yourself have been able to achieve with the various 'production' boards......I am always amazed when I see a production board handling as well as some of them do......! Major respect to you all......Fixing a problem is often more of a challenge than starting from scratch..........
I've recently got up close to a production board and cant say I would want to 'go through' all the work...

I do re-iterate though..To build a Custom......your 'very own board'...........you don't need a hobby shop ( I don't have one ).....you don't need lots of money ( I hate spending to much).......you don't need to be a sculpture ( I'm not)..... yes ! you do need time........but so do you with the production board.

Sprayed Pin lines around the rails........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

surfcurls 01-25-2013 05:59 PM

There will always be decisions to make starting out.
Do I: Buy a stock and build, Buy a built, Shape my own ?

The information/statements posted On This forum is considered by most that read it to be true and accurate.
Sometimes that is not the case but should be.
So when one reads about This great deal or that great plan it should be taken with a grain of Salt (water)
and do more research.
It's the old saying again "If it's too good to be true" ...

dirkydiggler 01-25-2013 08:18 PM

Thanks for the response. What size motor is that at 2200kv? Is that the biggest and baddest that fits? Also how does the coupling work to the drive shaft of the motor? It looked like a hex nut, not your typical RC boat coupling. Will that work with a 5mm shaft motor? I can figure the ESC based off the motor, looks like an 80-90 amp though.
How are you guys making the dudes also? Anything off the shelf work?

I have also been into building electric skateboards/mountainboards using RC stuff. My summer project was potentially an electric surfboard. I figure since you guys are doing smaller versions of what I want to do, there might be someone who has already attempted it. The few boards that I have read about use jet stuff, which might be a good idea for the little ones. Props might be a bit too dangerous for a life size version!<br type="_moz" />

YPC 01-25-2013 09:57 PM

Hey Curls.......I'm going to say this once more.....get someone to read it to you......LOL......THE LOW NUMBERS DO NOT MAKE PRODUCTION VIABLE !

I will be selling my Custom boards 'no elecs' for $500 + Bro for $100 if you are intersted !!!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 01-26-2013 02:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
dirkydiggler

ive seen some attempts at motorised surfboardsand yeh they were all jets.
Some have tried jets in ********s too but if they worked good rekon we would have seen one going by now? ..... think a fixed jet with a rudder might work... anyway best ofluck withthe the bigone.

The 2200kv motor is a Feigao 540s approx 36mm diameter 50mm long bought from offshoreelectrics (certainly not the biggest and baddest but when i started i tried to get a motor similar size to the std brushed can motor that was fitted)
They don't make them anymore but aLeopard 3650 with kv rangeing from 1650 to 5400 is the now equivelent.

The brass thing on the motor with plastic (i think) prop shaft coupling.....
If motor and propshaft are inline a strait coupling works without changing anything.... lots of sizes available... but the bouncing of the motor being mounted at one end can excessively load up the shaft, more friction more volts more wear less run time.
A simple uni joint system elimanates much of this but the motor tends to flop more, especialy if you have it hangin out more to accept the couplings extra length. I put some foamunder the other end to help reduce flop

Check out offshore they have many motors all diff sizes, couplings etc and lots of stuff you cant get elsewhere..... Hobbyking is another place for generic rc stuff.

If it helps here are three pics.
One is of a straight coupling, another my atm unijoint with antispray and stop battery getting ground away from spinning fast coupling gaurd, the otherhow itmight look in your board.

Remember just my opinion..... all the best getting a functional rider ( water bottle dude's workbut...)

dirkydiggler 01-26-2013 01:17 PM

Thanks again for the guidance.  I was going to order some stuff today from HK.  The pictures were great.   My sons boat (Christmas present) has a direct coupling and I have seen some with dog bones.  Like I said I am not familiar with RC boats.<div>In searching out parts for a real electric surfboard I did see some NQD jet setups.  I didn't know what they were until I got here.  It would be interesting to see one of those on a custom, but from what I understand is a jet is a lot less efficient.
<div>One other thing I'd like to grab on that order would be a new prop since I lost my spare. I know that would help the performance also. Any recommended sizes and do most fit the drive shaft? </div></div>

surfcurls 01-26-2013 02:18 PM

Here's an rc surfing jet drive in action

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNfwuM99mrk[/youtube]

powerpark 01-26-2013 04:37 PM

Now that is a cool video, Dogs are amazing. Buddy really looks like he's enjoying every minute.

surfcurls 01-26-2013 08:15 PM

Power
Buddy is the First inducted to the surf dog hall of fame. So Cool. Didn't even know it existed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_945704.html

Dom
Once order 1 gets shipped I'll consider it ?

YPC 01-26-2013 08:42 PM

Curls........LOL

You will have to complete the 'client profile form'....to hopefully qualify......LOL

Their is NO deposit' system........as I make them, those who would like one, buy one......ie I'm not making to order.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

surfcurls 01-26-2013 09:15 PM

If you have 30 , you might want to re-think your system ...

YPC 01-26-2013 10:59 PM

30 LOL.......WOW !........I would not have the time or inclination to 'custom build' more than 1 or 2 boards a month 'at best' .......!

I'm much happier building a board when and if I have time........hence the four week lead time on my web.....I like having my own artistic licence to a degree and if someone happens to want to purchase the board once its done, like 3 of the boards I have built so far.........they can buy it.

I'm amazed that you have 30 orders - not even showing how the board actually surfs............?

Bro ********
Share the STOKE !

Hughengland 01-26-2013 11:03 PM

Maui Report:
Thursday - good North Shore waves big enough to break Silver Surfer's neck - see picture on way to surf & carbon neck repair after great surf session of 6 bricks
Friday - small surf so went play golf
Sat - great waves 4ft-6ft with light offshore winds - got in 8 bricks with almost perfect waves with Shiela - wish there was a video/camera guy to catch it all....
Sat night - 125 cc shifter go kart races.
Sunday - early rc surf session planned before on road rc truck/buggy races.
Life is soooo sweet here on Maui.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0689.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/IMG_0691.jpg

YPC 01-27-2013 12:32 AM

Howzit Hugh....... you're having a blast.......have you been home yet ? LOL

Love to sea the action...........

Bro

bearcave 01-27-2013 03:24 AM

dirkydiggler

You could be right research i've done says Jetboats have their advantages (horses for course's) but there is much eficiency lost within the jet drive....

Props..

Car speaking they are like diff ratios gearbox ratios speed/tourque required at different speeds and loads etc.... iemind bogling and variable.
I couldn't get any props to suit years ago and went to a 4mm threaded shaft and fitted threaded props to suit... some are faster some more grunt but idea was to get the next equation right... ie the power sucked and heat generated regarding torque and speed required for my surfer.

Long story short its mathematical and the pitch, diameter, blade shape and construction all play a part as does the weight, shape of your hull and what you want it to do...... clear as mud hey LOL

YPC is the master at working out whats needed for a certain weight model regarding speed torque etc BUT i'm thinkin for you atm with std 1/8th dog shaft offshore has a fiberglass/plastic prop 30mm x 1.4inch pitch (ose-2bl-3mm) that might suit..... $2 each..... you may get the equivelent elsewere you just have to do the looking.
Recommend buy at least 6 and other stuff to make the postage worthwhile.

Hey surfcurls
Great link to the jet board.... even better link to Buddy the Jack Russel Terrier surfer and his owner Bruce Hooker.
I like Hooker's comment at the end regarding why Buddy surfs.... "I am a surfer and had a dog that wanted to surf"

bearcave 01-27-2013 04:15 AM

One more thing before i go.....

For everyone that has a production board..... RC SURFER Bad Billy has been doing this for a long time maybe even since it was invented with Ed Dietrich and others.... their old school websites were where all the info was..... he doesn't post often but when he does hope you all read carefully what he says cause it's all real and all good.

Just sayin... bearcave

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 01-27-2013 08:02 AM

<div><span style="font-size: large;">quote]ORIGINAL: RC Surfer</span></div><div><span style="font-size: large;"> from what I see on the vids every body is putting out I really don't see the difference or any better performance than what I have. There is so much more to it than meets the eye,</span></div><div></div><div>bad billy,,, you have to give billy high fives he has been doing this senses i was in diapers,,,, but i totally disagree did you not watch the the bro down two video, the only plastic board that made it out was curly ,,, Justin broke his Lisa in less of 2 mins ,, the dog could not make it out on his lisa,, when culry came in his leg was busted, all the time this was going on 5 custom fiberglass rc surfers were killing it, where were the plastic boards,, all busted up,, sitting high and dry on the sand,</div><div></div><div></div> ps i am not bagging plastic boards i just tell it like i see it[

mau john

YPC 01-27-2013 09:37 AM

Howzit MJ..........Yeah Yeah ! to second your statement.

As you say .......with no disrespect to what 'some' have been able to achieve on a wave with a seriously modified 'plastic production board'....incredible !
What I find interesting and even amusing, is even after these 250 pages 'No absolute resolve/recipe has been found to cure the production boards many ailments........for most even starting out now to mod a board - even with all the relevant info and advice at hand.......it still seems to be a time sapping and costly mystery for most , without guaranteed performance .............??? even when the best of the best gathered at the Bro down......only one modified production board made it out ?'

As BB says' their is so much more to it than what meets the eye "in all the videos"

Without a doubt - Quality 'Hand Made' Custom boards 'out perform' any production board that was 'made in an 'instant' only then to be painstakingly rebuilt ................

The thing is, in fairness'..... they should not be compared.........IMO......two very different boards overall.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

kitekook 01-27-2013 10:01 AM

John,
I am pretty sure that is why production boards are no longer available...

They leaked water, broke if you gave them a hard glance, and were gutless stock.

They took/take someone who was passionate to make them Surf as intended...new electronics and splitting the hull to make them seaworthy...carbon strips glassed on the Surfer to make them stronger/more durable...reinforce this, reinforce that...

They were the best we had at the time...

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...2013/003-1.jpg

This would make my Lisa wet herself...the Kyosho dude might fair better...

Thanks to you, Maui Rc Surfer the modern day innovator of Rc Surfing, have lifted the bar so high...I'm sorry to say the 'out of production boards' will never achieve.

Taking on water...water intrusion is so not an issue,you saw my boards did not even have sponges (now they do just in case I bust a hole on the reefs at low tide)

Power to spare...I have been in 10ft surf and still looking for bigger...

The fiberglass Surfer is battle ready...I have been making them lighter lately..but the 'ol Divas were strong...remember, I wouldn't even pay attention at times as they got washed up on shore...I have had them thrown completely out of the surf onto the beach in wicked shorepound...picked them up and went back to Surfing...

Most importantly...the Maui Innovation allows for complete design freedom...what is beautiful in my eye is what I get to Surf.
No longer limited by the design team in Japan, we can now build boards for our own conditions and the Surf we are attracted to.

I image the modern/future retailers of RC Surfers will be more like real Surfboard Shapers today...They will sit down and talk to you about what you Surf, where you Surf, and what you dream of Surfing...then build you a board to fit.

We are now future proof...better electronics...better materials....better techniques...are just the next board away.

Thank You.

The 'out of production' Boards are, well, out of production...no doubt they will be remembered better than they really were...

YPC 01-27-2013 10:19 AM

KITE ..........MONSTER PICTURE !..........that must have been a great session !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

surfcurls 01-27-2013 05:40 PM

We Can Call This The "Plastic Fantastic" Boards Nearly gone
just like the real surfboard under that label. Remember those ?
Valid points made by all. Like Kite Said it's all we had at the time.
Once I saw Yellow Mon, I knew RC Surfing Was going to change forever and for the better.

MJ
Bro #1 & #2 were such a blast, and great to meet you and crew in person
along with witnessing the Maui Shredders you built in action.
I had actually started working on my new model back in Jan 2012 before bro #1
and seeing your boards durability told me I was on the right path you started (Glass/foam)
My Plastic board survived #1 without a flaw, #2 The Kyosho Figure (not reinforced) Took The Hit
But the waves were good size and we were all charging the set waves for the halibut.
BB and Dog had Elec issues, Justin was a madman with the Li-po set up (Speed Kills lol)
But even the best Glass boards will take a toll when its breaking top to bottom or over exposed reef etc.
Look at Hugh and kite's figures (even with carbon). It's more fun to charge the line up than the batteries anyday.
It's all good, and most everything is repairable...

YPC
I said if "You had 30" Not meaning I have 30. But me having 10 is amazing to me without fancy pix and vids (yet)
I got tired of the "Coming Soon" Myself, so I decided to get things moving...

Kite
Thats some size brah, whats your guess on the face size ?