RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

bearcave 01-29-2013 05:54 AM

RE: RC Surfer

Hey guys was thinkinthat the next So-Cal rcsurfing get together could be biggest and best ever.

Imo you could/should get many camera's and many participants and saturate us who can't be there with as much visual entertainment as possible.

Yes ok i'm trying hard tojust shut up and watch but have a good feeling about this years mastersshowdown....the contest the participantsthe free riding the winners the loosers and the many many visual takesof many at one spot that atm only happen once every year.

just sayin....

YPC 01-29-2013 08:11 AM

ANNOUNCEMENT !

I read over at ********s.........JIMI shared that he spoke with Brendon recently about their production board........Brendon said that their board 'wont be coming out' any time soooooooon !...............

Looks like its now up to the Custom Boards to keep the rc Surfing Flag flying..........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 01-29-2013 08:57 AM

<div>jimi</div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div> god bless you,, your pics are inspiring to us all,, hope we see more soon,, </div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div></div><div>kite </div><div></div><div></div> your new ride has it all ,,, nose rocker ,, twin fins ,, sick looking man,, and 5 cell lipo,, Tesla would be proud,, 5 stars

maui john<br type="_moz" />

RC Surfer 01-29-2013 09:17 AM

Jimi all the best dude! I know what your going through stay strong, there is a lot of new medicine out there. My younger bother just pasted from cancer he didn't make it to surgery, chemo or radiation. Chances are good you'll make it through this!! Hell you made it through RC Surfing and thats a huge battle!!!

The weight of the stock Dude painted is 84 gr and stands 10 inches
Weight of the Kyosho Lisa is 128 gr and stands 12 inches
Weight of the NQD Lisa is 107 gr and stands 12 inches

I tryed a Hobby King 2.4 gig in my set up and it unbinded andglitched out at about 30 feet. Since my radio gear ESC, Brushless Motor, and Servo sre 10 + years old I went to talk to the manufactor of the ESC/Brushless Motor and was told that they had changed some of the electronics to accommodate the new 2.4 gig radios handed me some capacitors/resistors but didn't helpto much. So I guess It's all about new Electrics for me. I ran MJ,s and Kites with out a hitch and really impresed with the distance too, got to drive Curlies board seemed to work fine.
Hope this helps Later BB

kitekook 01-29-2013 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: YPC

ANNOUNCEMENT !

I read over at ********s.........JIMI shared that he spoke with Brendon recently about their production board........Brendon said that their board 'wont be coming out' any time soooooooon !...............

Looks like its now up to the Custom Boards to keep the rc Surfing Flag flying..........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

That's a shame....I was looking forward to the third generation model coming from 'down under

But maybe its a good thing...R&D takes time...

Only a fool puts something out just to have something out..

Brendon wants it right before he puts his name on it.

It will be worth the wait I am sure.

Good Luck Brendon! If we can help in anyway...please ask.

I guess in the meantime everyone gets to look forward to these kind of prices...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-RC-SU...item337f841d94
$1550 for an orininal Dude and Lisa NIB

or even worse yet...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Surfer-NE...item3f216fe86c

$310.00 BuyItNow NQD

YPC 01-29-2013 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only a fool puts something out just to have something out.. .....LOL.......the fools who put all the previous production boards out sure 'fooled' a whole bunch of people - Cant say I have 'ever' seen a stock board of any brand surfing anything worthy of praise, yet they kept on buying them..........Umteen years and 250 pages later - some are still trying to figure out just how to fix em................WOW ! as they say..........their is a market for almost everything..........

BB.......all my rcsurfing in the vids is with a cheap Hobby King 2.4 gig radio.........at times ! am as much as 80m's out ( roughly 700 feet plus) absolutely no problems, even without an external antenna. Any further, and my eyes cant cope with the range, let alone the TX coping.............
As for the production board surfers weight..........I take it that is before any 'extra strengthening' is added.
2nd last Pic ...... comparative size of a Lisa and Bro......excuse the pose......Itfishi was welcoming one of my original Bro's to OZ..........

Well Bro now has his 'neoprene flesh' and has put his head on.........still needs to catch some sun.........LOL
All the Bro's weigh much the same as they are made in the same fashion in a mold.......this one came in at 140 grams. Of that overall weight, the head only weighs 10 grams, which is great in reducing the centrifugal force generated by any 'top weight'

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

RC Surfer 01-29-2013 03:33 PM

YPC... So I guess you should of mentioned what ESC, Motor, and servo you are using to help other people pick a package to go with. All Isaid was it didn't workwith my old electrics so if someone out there pulls his surfer out and wants to upgrade, that there maybe a few isues with the old stuff they are using! And as many years that I've been into RC buying cheep and then buying the more exspensive gear I can honestly say you get what you pay for!

As far as my dude goes,I love the real lifelook hebrings to the over all exsperence,I'll run him without reinforcement and when it does break in the same place 4 or 5 times willI use a CF hollow rod with foam friendly CA glue adding only a few grams(5 or 6)of weight to him at the break, I don;t use heavy epoxy to glue things together! I've only gone through 2 figures in the 4000+ runs and the heaviest he's weighed was around 130 gr and then it's time to go. So if and when you get to that point, then we'll talk about it!
Later BB</p>

RC Resinator 01-29-2013 07:28 PM

Thor sends a message, " Billy is the only one with contest experience,  he would probably wax us all, maybe we should just have a powwow at the van again,  before the Bro Down 3 , instead of a contest".  I think Thor just wants to drink beer with you guys!<div>
</div><div>KITE,  I AM GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN,  YOUR MODELS ARE LOOKING SICK!! </div>

surfcurls 01-29-2013 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
YPC

I know you know math and quite well infact.
Just not sure on your take regarding riding the 10 foot face Myth ?

Look at Kites Pic. He mentioned that the figure is 15" tall.
My calculation shows this wave face at nearly 10 feet.

Garrett Mcnamara Just surfed a possible 100 foot wave (face) today. It will take months to verify the size.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOHDZpPvbIc[/youtube]

BB
I think your ESC / motor combo was the problem.
That TX tested well at 1500 feet in range.
Same one I used at Bro #1, #2.

Thor
The Beer Is Supposed to be at The BBQ after the session, not Before Lol

dirkydiggler 01-29-2013 08:32 PM

I've watched about ten hours of how to shape/make a surfboard on youtube and now might just have to shape one myself. I saw the video about the home depot surfboard and Surfersteve showed him shaping mini surf boards for practice. I thought I might do a combo of the two. Are you glassing in the tub or just using something else like a tupperware container to keep the electronics watertight? Also the six bolts on the lid seems excessive. I know the boats use magnets to keep the lid on. I know they aren't getting pounded in the surf. Maybe a combo of the two.
In my experience the HK 2.4 radios work great. They work further than the eye can see.
<br type="_moz" /></span></span>

YPC 01-29-2013 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BB- - to summarize : I'm not hoping to get to any point where you may be - I'm on my own journey, happy with where I am -just adding some valuable experience to really help others make good affordable decisions !.....the HK 2.4 gig radio is a good radio...I've used it extensively.........and its been ......tested to 1500 ft ( your old equipment is 'another' issue)

As for the Surfer........I've said it before. For myself, function comes before close up scale looks........at 30 ft they all look good on a wave face - Its more a case of proportional size - weight - and more importantly, which ones DONT BREAK !......I enjoy making things........not fixing things.

Curls........as they say -Photos speak a thousand words...... that's why I prefer 'video footage'......to get the actual !.....

If you measure Kites picture...he is ahead, out of the trough.....his surfer measures 1.5cm's and the wave is 10 cm's ....... I would say that is more a 7ft face.

Harping on about rcsurfing 10ft face is somewhat out of context for rcsurfing IMO.......If anything, it happens once in a blue moon and when it does,happen I have no doubt my board and surfer will be up to the challenge.

How about sharing more pics and info of your board - its features and what you have been up to on the development side of things.........add value !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

kitekook 01-29-2013 08:56 PM

quote: all the previous production boards out sure 'fooled' a whole bunch of people

Easy to Judge in hindsight...

I bought my first Lisa in 2002 or 3

Brushless motors had just started coming around...Am radios were the norm...FM if you had some xtra coin to spare

lipos were nowhere in sight...Nimh was the bomb when I started...2400mAh! 3300mAh when I gave up...

Where were you then?

I'm sure you were racing those very fast boats of yours...so you know the history of RC in the 2000's...

Kyosho released the best product they could...Sure, by today's standard it leaves you wanting... but back then it was FANTASTIC! Mind Blowing!

You could make your point with the NQD's...shameless ripoffs!

I imagine Brendon wants to put out the best possible 2013 version of his RC Surfer, something to be proud of, if that take a while longer, so be it.

I get the feeling he has a real job and not interested in a few quick bucks at the expense of his name...

Until then, if you rely on production boards, you have to tread water...hoping to find a deal somewhere...I think they are going to get real expensive as time goes on...

Hope John has a supply of DVD's handy.

kitekook 01-29-2013 09:17 PM

Managed to get out again today...4 packs

Conditions a little better...not by much
At least the camera was pointed in the right direction today[:@]
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...fdivas/035.jpg

Horse ran great!

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...fdivas/034.jpg

no surfers out early...so I was way out at the main peak...hard to see so I climbed up the cliff some for a better view, All good, depth perception was tricky for me at the extended distances...

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...fdivas/032.jpg

The 5S has so much power...I can make those sections now!

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...fdivas/031.jpg

Punch it!

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/...fdivas/033.jpg

Battling the whitewash sure is fun with this new board.

Batteries are a charging for a morning session...

RC Resonator thanks for the props! \Could be heading your way next week...

surfcurls 01-29-2013 09:22 PM

Dirk

The wave jet will eventually come down in price, but at this time it's cutting edge tech
so the R & D cost them a ton of dollars.

YPC 01-29-2013 09:24 PM

Howzit Kite.......I'm not sure the intended new board was going to have anything different when it came to the elec hardware. Here is an extract from some correspondence I had with Brendon.

"The kit itself includes a Brushed 540 motor, radio gear, NiMH batteries, battery charger, etc etc, followed by a complete range of spare parts and accessories with total product support....along with a few surprises!"

As you say, all copies of the Kyhoso board are a 'shameless rip off ?...........I agree.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

surfcurls 01-29-2013 10:56 PM

Dom

When you hit the scene in 2012, I saw your passion/talent and I already wanted to pull something together
on a global scale, with a global team along with you, MJ, Kite, Fish, Canz Seb, Jimi, Wombarra

I recall, you didn't even know who Jason Hall Was, and were not interested in including him
even after I told you about the Wombarra Kyosho history ?

I'm sure, You, MJ, Kite, Fish, Canz, Seb, Jimi, Wombarra will recall the emails
I sent out to work on "THE Project"

Sad Truth Is, I had The answer to global stoke with Wombarra being The Mother Ship
on a the Top of the line rc surfer, inwhich we could all be stoked about. They chose a different path ...

As far as my new boards, you could always sea the updates on my site.

YPC 01-29-2013 11:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DO YOU REALIZE KYOSHO'S RC SURFER WAS WOMMBARRA ? They can't be a rip off of themselves ... Uhh Durrr.!......like I meant Wombarra.......LOL
You should rather listen closely to 'popular opinions'......their are not that many fools on this forum.

As a matter of fact....... I have a received a number of personal e-mails corresponding with Brendon, discussing the details of the new board and him enquiring about the possibility of myself being the Africa dealer for the product. I will FWD them to you if you like........

I feel that this forum is a great place to showboat our work and to add to the depth of the wonderful Tech Spec that has grown over the years. At least I show and discuss as much as I can for others to see and learn from. As I have shared 'many time' I'm not in this 'to sell boards........But - if someone would like to purchase one...........they have a price......

I love this picturei picture of 'your board' ........kind've sais it all

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Hughengland 01-30-2013 12:05 AM

Hugh wishing everyone would leave their egos at the door when posting on this forum.

Maui Report:

Good swell last few days, talked MJ into a quick session before he went to work today.
We took some photos of each other's rides. Waves small but powerful - enjoy!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...hnunderlip.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...ngreenroom.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...nd/Johnair.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...and/hugham.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/hughlip1.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...ughairflip.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n.../hughtubed.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n.../hughslash.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...d/hughlip2.jpg

YPC 01-30-2013 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good Advise Hugh.......!

Looked like a Knarly session......

Bleach blonde hair....... piercing blue eyes......white shinny teeth ... a good tan and a very warm genuine neoprene wet suite..........what more could a surfer want.....LOL

Bro rcSurfe. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 01-30-2013 02:56 AM

Nice pics hugh..... always good seein the silver surfer and green flash gettin some.... you too kite

On a tech note.... YPC i see you drill the hull holes same size as the studs... am i thinkin right that you drill as deep as without going through the glass bottom and then use fully threaded studs screwed into the uncured epoxy?

BB..... nice info on the dudes.... in my practical experience the kyo dude even glassed up to max weight always performs way better than lisa ever did.

Btw my 27mhz transmitter/receiver has worked ok for years too but just recently i tried to switch the steering servo switch to reverse for my other board's servo and it snapped off.... It has never got wet but closer inspection reveals the salt air has rusted everything and finaly taken its toll... having issues getting a new esc to work properly too.......then again i did get the esc cheap on ebay.

YPC 01-30-2013 03:47 AM

Howzit Bearcave..........I much prefer straight TECH TALK...

Yep !.......drill as deep as you can ( without going through.....LOL).......if you make the hole diameter bigger......it will become difficult to ensure that the studs line up with the hatch holes. Placing the hatch over it when it cures can get tricky ( sticky)
The syringe method works well in 'pressurizing' the glue into the pores of the foam, ensuring good anchorage. Yes the studs are full thread. Be sure to clean them off with degreaser as often they are lightly coated with oil.

Bro ********. ..
Share the STOKE !

Jimi Findrix 01-30-2013 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Crew,

I had a bit of fun this arvo and looked up all the pics I could find of Surfcurls new models.

For those others who may also be interested in these new hybrid production/custom models here is what I found.

I have to admit,they do look great.

Can't wait to see how they perform, just hope I live long enough to see the pics and footage. Lol.

Regardless of my difference of opinion concerning other matters in recent times I will say this, well done, John.

<span style="font-size: larger"><u><font size="5">JIMI</font>
</u></span>

surfcurls 01-30-2013 04:58 PM

Thanks Jimi

It's taken a lot of trial and error to get it this far.

Even if it takes 30 years to get a video of it
you'll be around to sea it.

Dr.'s orders !

markmark786 01-31-2013 12:57 AM

I am new and don't know any thing about RC Surfer but i want some one that is so beautiful and have very best quality.I want to participate in a surfing race with it so i want a very high speed RC Surfer if any one know some thing then please help me.

YPC 01-31-2013 11:26 AM

SOME MORE ( inside my head ) TECH TALK.........grab a beer.....LOL........its only my 'theory'.....being employed into this build.

In the ongoing quest to achieve 'more ' lean ! Authentic surfing Style !

I have 'also' built this board weighing in at just under 2kg's all in (1950 g's) which works well with the motor and 3s combo - BUT - the weight has been intentionally built into the entire board. 'No Lead' I am now using a high density foam ( twice as dense) which is heavier as well as 3 layers of cloth as apposed to two on either side of the board.

WHY ?......you may ask....

Firstly.....we know....a board needs relative weight to self right effectively (submerge on its side to the rotational center line) as well as to better handle on the wave face, having a degree of displacement.

THE THING IS......if most of the weight is placed on the center line like most boards are(at the point of CG) the board 'will tend to ride flat, surfer very 'upright' in the turn due to the lead counter weight added to the bottom of the board, acting as a balancing pendulum around the axis ( CG) intern 'fighting' against the boards potential to lean, due to its design shape and rudder effect.
Simply put- when the board tries to lean......the weight will react and appose it......holding the board flat(ter)

WITH THIS BOARD.....having no added 'dead weight' in the POD- (roughly 350 g's less) the extra required weight now being distributed all around in the construction of the board, now means that when the board goes to lean in the turn , their is far less lower pendulum weight acting against the lean effect ( like a yaught keel would)- hence, allowing more lean and weight to be transferred onto the turning rail. More like a surfer transferring his weight onto the rail.
The pod itself, besides now being bigger, will also have less weight to bare in the turn and will lift the center line/outer rail, out of the water easier, enhancing the turn further.

WHAT ABOUT THE SELF RIGHTING ?..........well ! you do need a light (er) surfer.(150g's) to keep things in check...bigger boards can have slightly heavier surfers by comparison.....but more importantly ! - 'good healthy ( nose) rocker' is what you need. If you board has decent rocker, when the board is positioned on its side, you actually in effect move the rotating 'center line' higher from the otherwise position on the horizontal plane relative to the hull...reaching from tail to nose......positioning more of the boards overall weight on the opposite, lower side, raising the effective rotational CG (imagine a bow - the string is effectively demonstrating the boards center line. If you hold the bow at either tip, the bow frame will drop 'fast'.........if the bow was a straight line, it most probably would not rotate. Therefore !
Same with a rc surf board....the more (nose) rocker......the easier it will rotate to 'self right' ....... remember ! - you still do need enough overall weight to overcome the buoyancy to submerge 'half' of the boards width down into the water for this to work ( with my boards DIMS 720 X 210 X 30 ....2kg's is what is needed)

So to summarize !......rather having the boards overall required weight better distributed throughout the board, the ride and righting function will still work well - BUT - when the board turns and leans, more weight will be able to be transferred onto the inside turning rail, dropping the rail into the water - the center line will be able to be lifted up easier by the pod, due to it carrying less direct weight.........resulting in 'more lean'............have another beer............LOL

My thoughts........ soon to be tested !