RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

kitekook 01-31-2013 03:05 PM

RE: RC Surfer

Yesterday I was out at WindanSea again....I had climbed up on the rocks to get a better view...Surfed around for a while....decided to go back down to beach level...left my Surfer off to the side and out of the way...so I thought!

As I get down to the sand I look up and see a Surfer holding Horse up like a trophy to his buddies out in the lineup...he had one of his friends come over and help him paddle Horse back to the lineup...I was held hostage for about 10 minutes.

Finally they let me go...I do not know if someone out there spoke up for us or they just got tired of the whole deal....I came immediately in...I thought for sure I was a goner..they were going to drown me or tear me apart.

When I got in I noticed that they had loosened my wingnuts...but that seemed all they had done.

I guess I got lucky!

I am pretty sure I know who the haters are...I have met so many cool Surfers at WindanSea...but,from now on I will consider WindanSea hostile territory and never take my eyes off my Surfer again.

....I did go back out and ran three more Battery packs before I went home.

surfcurls 01-31-2013 03:38 PM

Kite
Next time you're out at windansea, take brock along.
I'm sure he has some local pull there, and you stoked him yesterday !

YPC
I have looked at a lot of quality video's to research the 2D effect.
I think it is due to the width of the board along with minimal rail thickness and hardness of the rail.
To scale things, a wider board should have a taller rail or maybe a softer rail ?

Thou all the boards I've seen with the 2D effect, still surf incredibly well
and you can't sea the 2D unless it's on video in slow speed.
In real time, in person it is nearly impossible to detect ...

kitekook 01-31-2013 03:38 PM

Today we headed out the door...my van started acting up![:@]

Ran over to our neighborhood mechanic, Angel, he got me in and out before I finished my Starbucks Coffee...Turned out I had a couple vacuum hoses slip off?????

and, my battery was shot!

I found it funny...I do not flinch at buying expensive Lipo's...i had to remind myself this as I purchased a new battery for my van trying to avoid the impulse to go cheap...

Van is fine....we headed out for a session...only losing the morning.

We headed to La Jolla Cove...there are nice picnic benches overlooking the Surf...I like Sculpting my Surfers there...and some real nice reef breaks all around.

I get there and the waves look nice...2-3 ft and peeling nicely....tide was a little high...so the reef and the boulders behind them are in play...no problem I'll be careful...

WRONG! Carnage half way through my first battery...got thrown on top of the exposed reef and into the boulders...

oouch! ripped off both fins and pulled my prop off!

End 'o Session...

The fins are easy enough, should have extras with me anyways...but that prop was expensive and I lost the flex cable as well.

Started the repairs...put resin on the dings and the big scratch across the deck....but find I am tired...maybe tomorrow I'll sand it down...I have to order another prop from OSE...next week before its here.

This accident reminds me that I need another board...another 5s board...I am sooooo spoiled! Now that I have tasted the power I do not want to use Slash and his puny 4s Lipos....[&:]

InDaTube 01-31-2013 03:49 PM

<span style="font-size: large; ">Kite......

What motor are you using with the 5S setup?

You are so happy with the performance..... Is it the motor or 5S setup.... or both.

MJ let me surf his new board several weeks ago and it was so quick and powerful.

My next Maui******** Leapord powered with 5S.

InDaTube</span>

YPC 01-31-2013 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Howzit Curls...

I can definitely see a distinct difference in the ride attitude between various boards. Some boards 'just' seem to turn left and right with the Surfer barely budging into a lean ,,,,2D......very Boat like........almost static.

Other board's have a flowing 'YAW' effect - I like to call it 3D - where as, in the turn......the tail drops and the surfer leans into it.........

The pictures below demonstrates the kind of' lean' effect I am after, although it will obviously not be as steep in the water. The CG will also be further aft when all the running gear and battery is fitted. The boards outline rail shape, with the narrowing toward the tail, lends itself to the tail dropping in, as the pod shape and size should lift the center line up front....rolling the board onto the inside rail...resulting in a 'YAW' 3D turn................

Kite.....both of those stories were 'NASTY'.......whats up with the surfers...Simply Bullies !..........Man ! I would not be happy hitting a reef/rocks with a board.......damaging a great prop really hurts.......I've had that with racing.......
It sure sounds like you have found your 'SWEET BOARD' in the 5s set up !...............I don't think it will be long before you will have that 'second' 5s board..........maybe a cute 'lady friend' for Horse to surf with..........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

kitekook 01-31-2013 06:46 PM

IndaTube

I have been using the same motor for a while now.

I starting using the Turnigy XK 3665-B-2300 on Maui Johns' suggestion.

It was/is a great motor....it's only downfall...they don't make it any longer! and it will not take the voltage the 5S puts out.

I read on one of these forums that the Turnigy was the Leopard knockoff...

hummm, I looked into it and sure enough Leopard made the same motor 3665-B-2300

This motor is capable of handling the voltage of the 5S! up to 26v if I remember right.

They are extremely hard to find.

You see, Leopard stopped making them!

I managed to get one used and two new ones over the past six months or so.

I thought I had recently found a goldmine....his website said he had 7!

I ordered one to make sure it was the right motor...he emailed me back and told me he only had the one.

Its hard to say what has made the difference... the 5s batteries? the 36 x 55mm prop? or the shaping of board #24 ?
Every thing else is the same...ESC, servo, receiver, and rudder/linkage.

But the difference is night and day!

Dom

My last couple builds required no additional weight to self-right...and they have been the funnest to Surf.

The key, and you touched on this, is the lighter Surfer figure.

I am now squeegeeing off the resin from the cloth before I apply it to the foam...that excess resin was weighing the Figures down!

Its a little harder/slower, and sometimes I have to add a little more resin to make things stick to complex curves...but overall it is much lighter.

Maui John once told me that resin without glass was just dead weight....took about six months for that one to sink in.:D

As soon as I got the weight down to around 10 oz I stopped needing the extra weight...even while reducing my total weight, going back to using only one layer of 6oz top/bottom, and a two inch wide strip along the rails.

I would like to bring back the Divas....just got to figure how to do the hair... I cut off Melika's head and weighed it....it was over 3 oz! the light foam heads weigh around 3/4oz.

She in for major surgery...I have an idea...we'll see.

The only difference between the 4s and 5s boards is the depth of the battery compartment....if I can come up with a way to make them bigger...I have several spare boards, thinking on that one...

I say 'the only difference'....but really, none of my other boards compare to what I was able to shape into #24...the rocker, the extended flatness out the back, the xtra 'Vee', more volume here and there, and on top of all that, all the 'mana' that just poured threw me into this one...probably why it feels like a Magic Board.

Looking towards #25..but first I have to make the Surfer...then his board.

surfcurls 01-31-2013 08:18 PM

Hey Dom
Your boards seem to be riding 3D, Even in slo Mo. Just Perfect.
Not sure why you are looking to improve it ?

I think the bigger boards have the 2D issue, Not to dis, just a thought Looking at the footage available.
My Kopy tybrid boards have soft rails at the nose and tail, and hard rails in the center of the hull.
The Board leans into / out of turns and the nose has a ton of rocker. No Neg Rocker at Tail.

WindanSea
It's a notorious local spot with years of history.
The Locals Can be quite aggressive.

Take A Look

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/12/us...ted=print&_r=0

InDaTube 01-31-2013 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="font-size: large; ">Hi Guys,
On the topic of leaning into turns, like on a cutback or bottom turn I'm finding that how you make the turn makes a lot of difference.
If I turn too sharp and jerky, sure the board responds quickly, but the turn is much flatter and doesn't look very realistic.
If I smoothly carve my cutbacks or turns hold the edge thru most of the turn...... bingo, a pretty realistic leaning and carving turn.
I'm sure board design has a lot to do with it as well. My board has a flat tail with very sharp rail edges for instance.
When I'm surfing and make a jerky turn or cutback, the problem is me.
Here is two photos..... zoom in and see the details of the turn, hole the turn tracks, the edge holding and carving. Even InDaTube leaning while making the turn.
Thanks.....
InDaTube
CURLS........
Thanks for the info.
<br type="_moz" /></span>

YPC 01-31-2013 09:53 PM

Hi Kite !

I recall your hatch lids being Standard for all your previous boards - what about making a new hatch lid that will be able to take up the added thickness of the battery. simply make a square plug the size of the battery square area and added depth, then mold over that. Your surfers back leg will be a tad shorter when bonded onto the hatch cover - You wont see the battery hump from a distance and you will get to run your previous boards 5s.

Curls !......perhaps........but I would like it to be 'more apparent'......plus !I love the continuing development.

Indatube......you are so right......I did forget to mention......the board 'cant do it all'.......the surfer has to play his/her part....thats the great thing about rc......it also has a technical challenge that keeps one coming back for more 'practice'.........just like the real thing.....I sure as hell wont be doing any of Kelly's moves even if I had his board under my feet...........LOL

Really great pics........the second one is STUNNING !

If I don't chat later in the Day ! Have a great weekend all....... US team - don't put to much money on the upcoming Superbowl game ! and help get rid of all those guns............

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 02-01-2013 12:35 AM

surfing was great when i was young... the hard ass local dudes gave me greif werever but cause i had friends we could surf "their" breaks cause when the punchin was on there was backup.... faark only lived 5min from the local breaks but were 'not local' and needed to be minced.... understand the mentality but always hated that about surfin still do.. best thing to do back then wherever you were was was to take out the alpha legend and the rest would be our mince or run away..... havin a drink at the local later was pretty much the same.

Anyway at the local break there was this redheaded scum A hole that would throw big rocks on your boards from "his' and his mates walkin track above when we wouldn't let them use our boards for a quick slash.

Long story short bigger and badder dudes eventually took him and his mates out and they were gone.... BUT this redheaded freak could ride a "borrowed" kneeboard standing up better than the kneeboarder who rode it.... and better than the stand up guys on their own boards....

Therefore thinkin while the ultimate board will make a difference.... InDaTube's recent comments make much sense.... just sayin

YPC 02-01-2013 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Bearcave.......cant say that I have ever enjoyed the 'attitude' of locals......its not really tolerated over here..simply ..the ocean belongs to 'everyone' .......big or small....grom or pro......as long as the rules are followed, all should be entitled to have fun.......all the time.

We have a guy who boogie boards on a plastic dustbin lid......rips the wave face apart........LOL

Before I return my previous board to its rightful owner who has been very generous to allow me to use the elecs to set my new board up while I wait for that slow boat out of China, I have taken a few comparison pictures.

Got the Gloss Coat polished.

Dam I cant wait to get this board wet !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 02-01-2013 04:43 AM

hey YPC thanks for the thoughts on my question regarding the hull screws... have also been caught out before with the machining oil that is left on most things made of stainless steel... all good

maybe i'm diggin a hole for myself for all ausies watchin this forum but would like to add that when rabbit was punched out by the hawaiin black shorts (as we heard it here in oz) i was kinda happy..... yeh big call he was a founder of the aussie surge,surfed good took anything on loved his way of life actually like the guy too but imo didn't like the way he done it back then.

Also didn't like that when a punch on was on in the line up a legrope could be looped around your neck while into it underwater, just before the freak set, yeh i'm pissed off with local aggro **** but faark just how it was....... maybe still is....

Respect for everyone wether loosers or winners from loosers or winners would be nice....we are only here once and it may be an unatainable goal but *** just sayin

bearcave 02-02-2013 03:20 AM

ORIGINAL: kitekook

[size=2]Today we headed out the door...my van started acting up![:@]

Ran over to our neighborhood mechanic, Angel, he got me in and out before I finished my Starbucks Coffee...Turned out I had a couple vacuum hoses slip off?????

and, my battery was shot!

I found it funny...I do not flinch at buying expensive Lipo's...i had to remind myself this as I purchased a new battery for my van trying to avoid the impulse to go cheap...

Van is fine
Hi guys just reread my latest rants.... no point editing them now.... sorry for getting off the track of the forum.

Like surfcurls has mentioned rcsurfing atm is a cat out of its bag.....those intoitno doubt see the fast movement last few years.

Asfar as i knowthere are nocouncilsbeach patrols orregulators whateverrestricting us by law to where we can surf.... as long as we stay away from patrolled swimming area's and treat ourselves as 'surfcraft' and respect all other surfcraft we are cool...?

I am very worriedthatlocalism, jealousy,a fast moving weapon in the wrong hands, etc etc etc.. may jeopardise our so farimo freercsurfing trip.
It will only take one bad accident and/or punchup to get the regulaters involved andpossibly screwing our ride forever.
I would realy like us all to keep this in mind.... imo if rcsurfing becomes like real surfing we are doomed.....

Kite..... as a mechanic i can gaurantee that if your van worked fine when you parked it and didn't backfire within the inlet manifold when you started it next day... vacuum hoses do not just fall off.....
Hey maybejust acoincidence but my gut feelin is if i was you would just be checkin my backevery now and then.....

ok enough gloom and doom.... back to the cavefor somehibernation... (thank god i hear you all say) ... already dreaming of the awsome vision coming our way soon from Bro Down #3

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 02-02-2013 08:15 AM

.Bearcave<div></div><div> i hear what your saying,, for bro down three ,, we have to find a spot with no surfers out ,, last time we were invading lots of young surfers,, that's no fun ,, maybe we can go to DMJ s on the military base,, bad billy can get us in, just a thought</div>

maui john

YPC 02-02-2013 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey ! ......my ship arrived from China !

Saw the "Chasing Mavericks" movie this evening............absolutely awesome........ don't know about rcSurfing it ..............LOL

Finally setting up the radio box....as much as I have not had water issues.........never say never when it comes to water !!!!!...I seal the steering servo in various ways......this time with duct tape over the joints and a small 'O' ring around the servo horn with some red rubber grease for lubrication.....works well.

I seal the ESC and RX entirely with "Til Tac' .......I think you guys call it poster putty.( for sticking posters and the like onto a wall)

Great to use a servo test unit when setting up the steering...... don't have to be bothered with the radio at the time. you can set the servo at its 0 point - travel it through its range..

My housings are all the same size..so I know where and how everything will fit in...compact !

Ran a battery through the system on the flat water in my back yard.......it looks very promising.......nose is running higher...tail deeper....leans very nicely....slightly more to the right than left when on the power ( prop torque) .......turns and leans nicely at speed, when dropping the power . No centrifugal fall over in tight turns. Self Righting no problem.

Bro....... officially ready to surf.......weighing in at 2025 g's (4lbs) ...........no lead added.

Hope the wind is not to strong in the morning......

THATS HOW WE EAT AN ELEPHANT..............ONE BITE AT A TIME...........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

RC Resinator 02-02-2013 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma; ">John,
Are you going to be in the water with the GoPro on a stick for the Bro-Down 3?

All,
Check out my latest RC surfer photos: This is what you get when a GoPro meets a Mac...

This board is close to 40"l and 12"w with a completely flat rocker out the back. I've found that a hollow wave allows for better carving...I</span></span></span><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma; ">think I'm only going bigger, wider, heavier.</span></span></span><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); "><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: Tahoma; ">

Aloha,
RC Resinator</span></span></span><br type="_moz" />

SHALLOWMINDED 02-02-2013 04:42 PM

<u>Two items of interest - <font color="#FF0000">For Sale</font></u>

Pro Modified Surf Lisa COMPLETE Package RTR:

Original Kyosho Surf Lisa Board, Sealed and Water tight
<span lang="en-us"><font face="Arial" size="2">SuperVee 27</font></span>Brushless Motor
Swordfish 120A ESC
Futaba 3PL 2.4G Transmitter
(4) Venom 11.1V 4000 mAh batteries
ElectriFly Triton EQ Charger w/LiPo bag
Modified Surf Lisa (lowered stance) with Scull Head
(2) Surf Lisa's
Custom PVC Stand w/straps
Spare parts box:
New SuperVee 27 Brushless motor
New Leopard Water jacket
New Rudder arms
Tools and loads more....

$850 Shipped Anywhere in the Lower 48 (anywhere else + freight charges)

<u>Second item</u>:

Original Kyosho Surfer (Dude)
BRAND NEW in the BOX Complete non-assembled

$430 Shipped Anywhere in the Lower 48 (anywhere else + freight charges)

RC Resinator 02-02-2013 07:29 PM

<div><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 128); "><span style="font-family: Tahoma; "><span style="font-size: medium; ">...A mispost earlier. THIS is the correct image view of the surfer.

<br type="_moz" /></span></span></span></div><div style="text-align: center; ">http://imageshack.us/a/img844/3485/rc4o.jpg</div><div>

<span style="text-align: center; "></span></div><div>

<div></div></div>

InDaTube 02-02-2013 08:11 PM

Post some photos of your board........ sounds very interesting.

Where were these cool photos taken?

By the way, what fastening system are you using? Some kind of wingnut?

InDaTube

surfkiwi 02-03-2013 12:38 AM

Hi all,<div>
</div><div>After a good 20 runs over a couple of weeks with my new stock NQD board and no leaks, it is time to upgrade the internals. The stock board has been good fun and I have definitely improved my skills, but I am now at the limit of what the stock board can do and it is getting frustrating :)</div><div>I have read a lot on the forum but I don't really understand it all. Can I get some help with electrics to get. I plan to order it all from HobbyKing and get it shipped to NZ. So if anyone can provide links to Hobby King for different bits, that would be appreciated.</div><div>
</div><div>Transmitter/Receiver:</div><div>Standard Hobby King 2.4Ghz </div><div>http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10608</div><div>
</div><div>Motor:</div><div>I understand I should be looking for a 540 size water cooled motor with a 5mm shaft? What sort of kv should I be looking for?</div><div>Here is one I have found. Is this any good? Are there any cheaper options that would still be good?</div><div>http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25091__3660SL_3180kv_Brushless_Inrunner_WaterCoo led_.html</div><div>
</div><div>ESC with BEC:</div><div>Are the birdie brand ESCs any good?</div><div>http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19438__Birdie_100A_Brushless_Boat_ESC_w_5A_BEC.h tml</div><div>
</div><div>Or should I stick with a better one?</div><div>http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28224__HobbyKing_120A_Boat_ESC_4A_UBEC.html</div><div>
</div><div>Battery:</div><div>Not sure what to get here. Some help appreciated. I would like one with the highest mah, but they all seem to be quite big and probably wouldn't fit into the battery compartment of an NQD. What would others recommend.</div><div>Also unsure whether to get a 2s or 3s? I guess this depends on the kv of the motor? What is the ideal RPM for an NQD board?</div><div>I have a LiPo balance charger that came with an Esky Helicopter I have. Is this OK to charge the battery, or should I be getting a better charger? </div><div>
</div><div>Fitting the motor:</div><div>Do I need to replace the shaft or get any connectors to fit a new motor? </div><div>
</div><div>Steering Servo - can someone recommend one?</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Cheers,</div><div>
</div><div>Mark</div><div>
</div>

YPC 02-03-2013 01:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Howzit Surfkiwi............

I'm a custom builder.......but will try and help.

One would have thought by now that 'their would be some kind of compiled list'.......personally " from experience......stay away from BIRDIE......I burnt a board out from the ESC catching fire......

JIMI.FINDRIX...... uses a leopard brand of motor with Kv around 3600 and a 2s battery.........It seems most go for a flex shaft drive.......

RC Resinator............ART in action................

Hit the beach this morning - strong onshore surf, but had to try it !.....................another day then !

COUPLING REPORT...............NOT GOOD...........lasted all of a few minutes in the surf.......clearly designed for lower load and RPM.......no problem, back to what has been working best.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

bearcave 02-03-2013 03:40 AM

yawn...... sorry guys bear alarm went off had to have a look..... *** YPC can't beleive the metal dogs broke off too!

surfkiwi.... think 30% overrated for all things electrical.... 3s turnigy 3600 battwas biggest i could get to fitstock nqd.....2400kv motor with 3s may be same as 3600kv 2s havent done the math but have noticed bigger mah batts 2s are more suited to fit stock hull.... shaft size of motorhas to match coupling youuse to suitprop shaft....

yawn.... oops...... forgot i was hibernating..... zzzz

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 02-03-2013 08:36 AM

<b style="font-family: verdana, arial; font-size: 11.199999809265137px;">RC Resinator[/b]

i think i have been sniffing to much resin ,,, all i see is colors ,,, pretty colors

maui john <span style="font-size: large;"> lol</span>
<br type="_moz" />

YPC 02-03-2013 10:33 AM

Hi Guys................

Bearcave ! on close inspection.......the coupling unit was cast not machined.....simply to weak.

I recall - Jiimi runs 5000 (plus) mah 2s packs....I'm sure his boards are stock housings.

Sorted the coupling issue out, back to my standard aluminium coupler - went back for a quick single pack session this evening. still very onshore....but enough face to have some fun.

Board surfed 'very nicely'.......hope to have some good sessions this week

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

surfcurls 02-03-2013 08:12 PM

I'm Looking into different positions of the figure footing.
Testing to sea if there is a difference in performance by moving the figure more towards the nose
and also adding a bit of weight to the front foot, to keep the nose down at high speeds.