RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

itsfishi 04-13-2011 12:47 AM

RE: RC Surfer

jimi

what i can find about flex shaft is that it needs that gap in front of drive dog even 5-6mm and that a thrust washer is a good idea.it goes between the drive dog and surfer and i think is used to reduce friction.

also that the alignment with stuffing tube is very important

you probly know all this already but just in case.

also i posted in speed electric forum, what is best way to cut and prepare flex. maybe some answers there could help.

OODan looks like it hammers. how are your run times. get your dude on it in the surf for a true test. are you running flex cable? i did warn you about flipping without dude hahalol

happy time surf

Cananzi 04-13-2011 01:38 AM

guys

thats a pain in the rear about the shafts, if worse comes to worse just change over to the semi flexi like me n seb i dont think sebs had any problems with them from memory and i have never had problems with them. i run the board on to sand and ran huge props with 3s and never had any snap.

just out of curiousity what sort of price are you looking at for the flexi set up?

the M4 semi flexi shafts are 11dollars and a M4 screw on prop range from 3bucks to 5bucks..

Cananzi 04-13-2011 01:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3x90wDPUrk

not sure how to put vids up.......... bit of footage from today.the missus was filming.

icemandan 04-13-2011 02:05 AM

Hi

won't be near any surf till i get back on R & R break which is in about a week
then i need to do some testing with the dude attached,
and change a few thing to try and get some more run time

I don't have a choice in running any thing but a flex drive shaft my motor is sitting parallel with the bottom of the surfer not on an angle
the tubing and stuffing box has a bend in it to give the prop the angle it used to have.

but I am not having any problems with breaking shafts, but that my happen in the future.

the Breaking mite have something to do with my motor mount

I don't get any movement at all on my motor its is solid as with the set up i have installed

Yeah i running 3s set up 5200

that's why i was thinking i should get more run time.

but hey when you do thing very diff to everyone else in your set-up your bound to have a few issues

thanks Maui only problem is dude-less is useless when you flip it with too much power

and 2.4 gig radio don't work under water lol

Dan,

Cananzi 04-13-2011 02:22 AM

dan

Im running a 5000mah turnigy in the 3s board and im getting 20mins on the dot with a 3.2 voltage cutoff.

itsfishi 04-13-2011 04:21 AM

cana .150 flex with stub shaft is about $20 pre made includes drive dog and tapered nut, add coupler $10, various size tubes to make stuffing tube/box$10, lead teflon bearing$6,thrust bearing$8,thrust washer $3, and some props and bits and postage $90 total.offshore electrics service very good mailed same day ordered. i was very close to getting same shaft as you but screw on props turned me off. will let you know how it goes, i got my fingers crossed it works. should be here in a week or so.

Hans N 04-13-2011 07:30 AM

Cananzi,

what is your setup?
In a couple posts above you mention 3S, but in the film it says 2S 2800KV.

What kind of prop are you using?

BTW, as I am going for a setup of"
3S 3200mAh,
2700KV Turnigy BL3656-2700 watercooled,
120Amp watercooled ESC (overkill but only available ESC at that time),
4mm flexshaft Graupner,
ETTI flex coupler,
29mm (and/)or 31m Graupner prop (speed 43mm)

Allmost all the parts have come in, so this weekend I gonna start siliconing, glueing, soldering etc. I will be adding a lot of re-enforcements for the motor-mount and the deck-screws.
NQD-board has been split, old shaft removed, some more room created for the motor can.
Just the neoprene is still to arrive.

I'll keep you posted.

Justin-san 04-13-2011 08:13 AM

Is anyone using the KYOSHO BI - FIN RUDDER instead of the single fin rudder?
I'm thinking this might help the board bounce less.
Justin

itsfishi 04-13-2011 12:16 PM

bi fin doesnt stop the bounce.

angel18 04-13-2011 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: itsfishi

bi fin doesnt stop the bounce.
its true do you say.....<span lang="en" class="short_text" id="result_box"><span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">because</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">I</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">also</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">never</span> <span class="hps" title="Click for alternate translations">tried it.</span></span>http://freeimagestocks.com/content/14/grey.png

Cananzi 04-13-2011 02:32 PM

fish

the full flexi shafts sound like they will be a weapon once there running properly.

hans

Ive got a few boards ...one has a huge lipo tray which is the 3s board i can fit up to 160mm x 51mm x 26mm. The board in the vid is the 2s.
try all different props and see what works best for you.

justin

myself and jimi are running moddified bi fins with the metal rudder shaft and sleeve. Seb runs the moddified single fin with metal shaft and sleeve. Sebs fin works extremely well tho!!

itsfishi 04-13-2011 02:54 PM

I've only used bi fin and it bounces

Cananzi 04-13-2011 10:28 PM

hey fellas

missus redid the session vid for. http://youtu.be/-5-nu4qL7lA

went out for a session this morning and you would not believe wat happened. had my bag with the lipos in it and i was down haven a shred and when i went back to my bag it was on fire!!!!! bahahaha one of the lipos had exploded. not sure why tho but its a very hard reminder of how dangerous lipos can be.</p>

icemandan 04-14-2011 01:54 AM

where are you looking at putting your thrust bearing etc fish

Saltypirate 04-14-2011 02:36 AM

Had an epic 2nd sesh this arvo, I went to a secret spot near city beach where the conditions were a bit better than the 1st run and pulled off some serious maneouveres. Some random guy came up and said that it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. Cant wait till my new batteries arrive.

Justin-san 04-14-2011 06:49 AM

A friend of mine burned his house down charging some lipos in a helicopter. Beware!!

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 04-14-2011 07:40 AM

CANAZI

nice vid you made a coulpe sick 360s and some bombing airs was that the sqaush tail. looking good john maui

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 04-14-2011 07:47 AM

justin

I race rc cars and i have sseen them blow up ,but it was because the bat. was all puff up from over use , it is scary knowing i have 12 lipos in my grarage , and there never in the bag. dam ,did all the bats brun up sorry to here that john maui

itsfishi 04-14-2011 12:46 PM

OO
thrust bearing is supposed to go between motor and coupler , hoping it will fit. since the force pushing surfer goes from prop to shaft to coupler to motor shaft to motor bearings, it takes the pressure off motor bearings so they can just spin freely without having to hold all the thrust aswell.with the thrust bearing the the thrust is held by the motor housing not bearings. on mimne im hoping to have it sit between motor mount and coupler therefore getting rid of any pressure on motor and having it going straight into mount.

offshore electrics have the parts just do search for thrust bearing

the thrust washer goes between drive dog and stuff box to reduce friction

hope that all makes sense. i will get some shots up as soon as stuff arrives and i get it installed.

i think im getting something like 10 thrust washers in a pack so happy to send a couple over for you and jimi if ya like when they get here.

have a good one.your board looks good should give it a test with dude as it may affect handling

cheers

Justin-san 04-14-2011 05:49 PM

Maui,

I do cars and planes as well. I used to do helicopters but it was not as much fun. I have seen planes catch fire in mid air from the batteries.
I've puffed my share for lipos too. Thunderpower used to have a deal where you could send back the puffed ones and they give you half off new ones.

Justin

surfcurls 04-14-2011 07:46 PM

LIPO has great Burst, Horrible Run Tme, And A Ton Of Danger Issues ...

These Are not meant to be speed Boats, But Surfers.
If You Want A Speed Boat, Why not Get A Nitro Breathing Boat ?

icemandan 04-15-2011 02:04 AM

that almost sounds like a slipper clutch in a RC car Fish

itsfishi 04-15-2011 03:24 AM

dan its not like a clutch in a car, its like a bearing at a 90 degreee angle to the bearings in the motor. have a look at offshore electrics and search thrust bearing and it will be obvious when you look at the picture of one. ha why dont i put a link here, i think i will,check this out. this one is for 5mm motor shaft which i have and i think you probly do too.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=dh-53136

curly i thought lipo beat nitro these days anyway.

cheers

Cananzi 04-15-2011 04:17 AM

haha yeah man lipo's eat nitros.....ive had heaps ofs buggys and i had a gotech 5port in rc8b with heaps of modds done to the sleeve and my mate had a rc8B
buggy exactly the same butbrushlessand it ate mine for breakfast.

i know what curly is saying tho surfers dont need much power really.

itsfishi 04-15-2011 04:43 AM

hey and i like to make noise.

the reason im trying 4s system is not allout power n speed but efficiency and therefore runtime. although dont get me wrong i want some grunty power n speed. which has already been achieved on 3s i know.

there is a great probability that i will eventually go 3s but gonna try the 4s anyway. i will just have to see how it goes.

just a warning to anyone ordering lipos from hobbyking hong kong , they get mailed swisspost. this means that they go via singapore then zurich then im hoping here but who knows they got mailed from hk on the 6th and today supposedly leaving zurich(15th)just letting you know it will take a while to get here, its still a great deal tho . i will just order from oz warehouse next time.

will be dropping by the hking store in sydney on monday hopefully. maybe they will have some good stuff in for me. went there the other day and prices are higher than website by about 25% at a estimate. they didnt have any motors just mostly planes and some batts n stuff. heaps more supposed to be comming in by now. im hoping for brushless innrunner 1800kv 36 size as the 2300kv i got i think is too high rpm for 4s on surfer, cant wait to try it tho.

happy mods to all