RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Boats General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/)
-   -   RC Surfer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-boats-general-discussion-77/5503299-rc-surfer.html)

itsfishi 04-20-2011 08:27 PM

RE: RC Surfer

well i must have done something right. both packages i been waiting on to finish board have arrived today. public holiday tomorrow and the next 6 days off work. gonna be building like a mad man.

happy easter

Saltypirate 04-20-2011 09:21 PM

Well I just gave my new battery packs a run and I was quite impressed with their peformance. My new packs are 2s, 20-30c discharge 5000mah, and noticed no real drop in power when compared to my 2s 30-40c 4000mah. I had a run time of about 18 minutes flat stick.
Bad news is I jammed up another flexi shaft. Im guessing I might have damaged the shaft when taking it in and out when regreasing it, but im still scratching my head as this is the 4th one ive managed to jam up so far [&:]

Cananzi 04-20-2011 11:05 PM

salty

Cananzi 04-20-2011 11:09 PM

salty

when you solder the hole up, block the other end and blow really hard down the shaft to see if the hole is soldered properly,if air escapes its not soldered properly.hope that doesnt sound to suss lmao

and just regrease after each session and you shouldnt have a problem im still on my origanal shafts except the first one i had.

good luck mate

Saltypirate 04-21-2011 01:01 AM

Yeah you might be onto it Cananzi... Last one I just wrapped some tape around it, and thought that should keep the grease in, but obviously not. The shaft got so hot that the tape melted off and all the grease must of escaped then jammed up. Cant believe how fast it happens though.

Cananzi 04-21-2011 02:48 AM

salty

seb uses these shafts also and from memory he tryed all sorts of stuff to cover the hole but the only thing that works is solder. Once you solder the hole air tight they are flawless.

if your not to keen on soldering take the shafts to a hobby shop they will probly solder them for you but they are really easy to do.

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 04-21-2011 07:31 AM

mr fish

this is john from maui and yesterday my seacut o i mean sea king fried .,up in smoke .. mr fish you had a good spot to get them cheap . thanks for the help john

itsfishi 04-21-2011 06:39 PM

no worries john glad i could help.

got all stuff to finish board yesterday,stayed up till 4am working on it. then back at it at 8.30am today. nearly got it all in and finished. just doing some testing.

testing the motor and new flex i noticed that the stuffing tube is getting realt hot ,like too hot to touch if i kept on the throttle, does anyone know if this is norma? l im worried its gonna melt right out the bottom of the board. it is 4s 2300kv so realy high rpm, maybe its just that.

just put the watt meter on it on the bench no load obviously. 16.77volts 12.2amps 201.5watts

ill chuck a prop on and try and get a reading in the bath soon.

have a good one guys ill hopefully get a vid later today or tomorrow

itsfishi 04-22-2011 04:53 AM

john was it that you wanted to know where to get esc, if so its hobbyking.com you are probably after the 120amp which is $50 the 60amp comes up as $57 but if you just stay on the page a while the supposed one time offer comes up at $40(it always comes up). somehow i dont think you will have use of 60 amp though lol.

tested out the new setup today

1st test in bath with watt meter 16volts 50.5amp 803watts did not hit full throttle as water was flying

next i went down to the flat water spot and yeah it goes hard. half throttle is like flat out on the old setup.

went full throttle from half throttle and it just flipped.

basically its too powerful. will have too get lower kv motor as i thought.

had a few leaks so not much of a test but will sort that out tonight and get back into it tomorrow and into the surf.

flex seems to be holding up great but really only was running for about 6-8 minutes.

cant wait to get this thing in the surf

trying to get vid uploaded but having probs

cheers

Justin-san 04-22-2011 07:40 AM

Curly,

I need a motor mount added to my order if one is not included.
Thanks,
Justin

surfcurls 04-22-2011 11:26 AM

Its Already in the Hull :)

Kevinmham 04-22-2011 12:30 PM

Hey guys.

Went surfing on Wednesday after work. The tide was low, and my board hit some submerged rocks. I didn't know they were there !!. I had no steering, so I watched my board get further and further away . When it looked like it was pointed towards shore, I would hit the throttle, but that was useless.

Eventually it got so far away that the reciever was out of range. I'm using a spektrum AR6110e reciever. Apparently, this is made for park flyers, and does not have a great range. Yup, I agree ! I could see the board way in the distance scooting all over the place eraticlly, heading out to sea. Crap. I also was using a new lipo, so I knew it would be drained to far ( esc still set for NiMhs ). $70 battery. Double Crap.

Eventually it started drifting east and towards shore ( jagged rocks, actually ) I thought about just leaving it and hoping that some one would find it and return it, because I have my phone number in side it.

I walked back to the car and put my radio and bag of batteries in the trunk, but decided to go back and have a look. I went to the top of the cliff and it took 15 min to spot it. Wow ! it was a long way out, and just visible, but slowy moving east. The waves looked like they were coming in, so I thought I had a chance. After a while it floated near enough to the shore, that I thought I might be able to snag it with my " Ron Popeill Pocket Fisherman " I just had a weight with no hook on the line. I must have tried 100 times to snag it. No luck .The board was now on it's side with lisa face down in the water. It looked like it was still heading in so I waited.

I was able to finally grab it near the shore where, luckily , the rocks were low. I was soaked and my hands hurt from fallin on the sharp , slippery rocks twice. From the time I lost control to the time I grabed my board was just over 2 hours. Not fun.

Turns out my servo arm had split , causing loss of control. Good news was all though Lisa was face down for almost 2 hours, it was still dry inside, so nothing was damaged. My battery showed 2.58 volts on both cells but it took 4000 mah ( in a 2s 4000 mah battery) and end voltage was 4.20 volts on one cell and 4.19 on the other. I haven't used it yet, but it seems OK.

I think I'll try to get an aluminum servo arm ! It was a pain to retrieve, but I'm glad I got it back ! It's to much fun to lose !

If anyone else is using a plastic ( nylon, whatever ) servo arm, check it over for cracks !

Happy surfing !

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 04-22-2011 03:22 PM

Kevinmham

unreal story good thing you got it back , i allways bring my surfboard with me when i go rc surfing. but just the other day i forgot it and my guy died so i had to swim for it good thing the water is warm.

john maui

itsfishi 04-22-2011 04:18 PM

thats sounds hellish kev good you got it back, ive had to do the scramble over sharp rocks swim thru rocks etc had cuts all over me, but got the b@#$% back. gonna go check my servo arm now thanks man.

now its been rebuilt. and its f'n sick had first surf test this morning stayed dry and just kept going i got no idea hhow long run time was but i just kept thinking this has gotta die soon, this has gotta die soon and just kept goin, im pretty happy right now just waiting for batts to recharge, this time i will time it.

so worth the effort

still cant sort the utube vid issue but will hopefully get vid up later

have a good one guys

Justin-san 04-22-2011 04:39 PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
Curly!!

I cant wait to build this thing!!

surfcurls 04-22-2011 06:04 PM

That Appears To Be Some STOKE ! Thats what it's all about.
I know all the builders and rc surf pilots that follow this forum agree on that ...

You'll have the Kyosho hull soon. Going out Tomorrow.

P.S. Hello Jimi. No Word For Awhile ( Too Long)
Hope All Is Swell ...

Jimi Findrix 04-22-2011 06:16 PM

Alien,
Where are the pics or vid of Lolo and your boards in action?
We have already seen plenty of pics of Lolo's cool boards before.
What about some actual surfing shots???

<u>Kev,
</u>
What a mission!
I recommend you take a surfboard!
Sooner or later you will need to rescue the little Dude again.

<u>Maui and Stonky,
</u>
Looks like you guys had a great time.
I love the little yellow rocket.
How do you cram everything in so tight?

<u>Flashlight Curly,
</u>
How are those drums comin' along.

<u>Cananzi,
</u>
I checked out your vids.
Good to see your board is runnin' well, nice carvin' bro.
I'd say you know your stuff on the axe.
Get into a bit of metal do we???

<u>Rainer,
</u>
Any new pics bro?
How did the tail mods effect your boards performance?

<u>Fish,
</u>
Sounds like you have created a monster.
Can't wait to see some pics or vid.

Sea ya guys.

<u><font size="4"><font color="#ff0000">J</font><font color="#ff9900">I</font><font color="#00ff00">M</font><font color="#0000ff">I</font></font></u>

surfcurls 04-22-2011 06:42 PM

The Drums Are pounding Brighter Than A Lipo Filled Search light.

How Do YOU Like The New Transmitter ? I have heard some mixed response
Outside of The Forum ...

Man Your Fast !!!

itsfishi 04-22-2011 10:06 PM

new board is sick just got back from 2nd surf.

with 3.4v cutoff she ran for 31 mins and should get better when cells are run in. that was with y531 prop.

motor was a little hot but esc and batts only slightly warm.

u tube is peeing me off 45 mins off uploading last night to get upload unsuccessful message with no reason. anyway only got flat water footage from 1st test as was on my own today, hopefully wil get it up tonight.

it was a good day

later

itsfishi 04-23-2011 02:17 AM

heres the 1st test vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caNSkkgks4

icemandan 04-23-2011 02:59 AM

HI all

Hopeful a quick one you guys can answer i need the measurements for the placement of the dude on top of my board
so from the nose to the front foot etc...

Thanks

Daniel Hicks

itsfishi 04-23-2011 04:59 AM

dan 355mm from nose to centre of peg hole give or take a few mm or i turned lid upside down and measured from the front of lid to peg hole 168mm thats a nqd lid.

RC HAWAIIAN STYLE 04-23-2011 07:58 AM

fish

all your hard work really shows in your vid . great job ,i notice you have to be lite on the tirgger when you start off ,your run time in the waves will be longer because you cant use your trigger as much unless the waves are 10 feet . john

Justin-san 04-23-2011 06:47 PM

Well..........I got the original brass motor cooling coil cleared out finaly. Not easy, I boiled it then froze it then hit it with a sand blaster. It seamed to work fine. I replaced the old 19T Chameleon with a 17T Radon it was cheap and my brushless system had not arrived yet. So I dropped in a Orion Rocket 3500 2 cell LiPo from one of my cars its a newer battery and works great. I was running the thing in the harbor at Dana Point just to check it out. It was windy and to choppy outside. So I'm buzzing around..the thing is bouncing at more than 1/2 throttle and I'm thinking about adding to the rear edge of the board like a trim tab to hold the nose down a little. I had a NiMH battery that is heavier so I go to switch batteries and the LiPo is PUFFED!!! CR@P!! That was a $40 battery. So I switch batteries and it is still bouncing like a ****.......I run until the MH slows, and as I'm opening it up I notice the endbell on the motor is melted!! WOW bad day.

Kevinmham 04-23-2011 07:22 PM

Justin-san

Too bad about the battery , man, it sucks when that happens. My latest battery is an orion rocket pack as well. I'm using a 2s 4000 hard case in my board and am very happy with it. It's the same pack I drained to far earlier this week. Tried it out today, and it worked great ! Yours might be salvageable as well. Good luck