Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

SH 28 - end of life signs?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM
ijpom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

Anthoop - as you suggested before, the engine is shot and now great for parts. It should support any part needs of the other 2 SH .28 that I will run.
QwkSport - it looks like the cutting of that port caused the high spot 'ridge' along the top of the port. Then the final machining that you speak of, has no choice but to remove that ridge - including the plating. Mine is harder to see, and since it looks to fade in and out (with poorly defined edges) I plan on checking that it isn't some other kind of discoloration that is not wearing out of the chrome. I good polish in that area will prove it out for me.

Anyway, appreciate the knowledgeable input, and maybe documenting this will end up helping someone else diagnose their engine.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Anthoop

Originally Posted by ijpom
Anyway, appreciate the knowledgeable input, and maybe documenting this will end up helping someone else diagnose their engine.
Never a problem...the only minor point is that you to have an odd forum name...I would much rather be saying..NP Mike..have fun...
(I did also say similar to 1Qwk....)..My name is Antony..Ant for short...Hoop is an abbreviation of my surname...

Always these threads can be useful...even in the future...great pictures by the way...reminds me that I really do need to get a better camera.

Oh..and never forget that the SH.28 in many guises is a pretty decent engine for the money...no matter what anyone tells you....just put the right timing in there.

Last edited by Anthoop; 05-28-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
ijpom

Default The SH clone

Anthoop,

Yeah ..... that screen name has been my go to anonymizer for a few web sites. It's convenient because I find it available most every site I visit.

My ebay purchase arrived an hour ago. Perhaps you can tell if you also believe this to be an SH clone. Head, block and carb casting are near identical to my SH28. Signage differs.
It was sold to me as an "EX 26 that was made in China", purchased but un-used from 2011. Half the price of the direct from China 2015 unit; 1/10 the shipping time too!
I can't turn it over with the plug in it, so it probably has some compression. Just hoping it's not an earlier clone from when there were premature failures.

Name is Erin, if that's easier. I'm male despite American gender preferences for the name.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 007.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	2099206   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 001.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	2099207   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 002.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2099208   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 003.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	2099209   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 004.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	4.07 MB
ID:	2099210   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 005.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2099211   Click image for larger version

Name:	SH28 clone 006.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2099212  

Last edited by ijpom; 05-28-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Taiwan is a republic of China, but I've understood SH is made in China. The "28 C" is the same markings on my SH .28 P6, so maybe it is one of the many SH rebrands. My SH does not have the "Made in..." Markings on it. It looks like it should be a runner though. I think the current SH offerings are either 3 port or 8 ports. The 6 port versions are a bit older. This is neither here nor there - they all run fine.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Anthoop

I do not think that is a "SH" engine at all...I would say that is a engine made by the same factory that makes the Go engine...or even Toki...I do not recognise it...

The engine casing on the .28 "SH" engines is always very recognisable...it has some cutouts on the cooling fins below the head...no matter what era..

But as !Qwk said..it looks like it should be a runner...fire it up and give it a shot...good luck Erin..

Last edited by Anthoop; 05-28-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Ya'll can call me Tim... I wonder if it's the same factory that makes Traxxas engines.. They're in Taiwan. So is Thunder Tiger.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Anthoop

Cmon...I can not handle everyone coming out of the closet at the same time here........beside 1Qwk...you know "he" will return at some point...

There are so many people in China...these things are always going to be difficult to keep track of...but usually you can get a "whiff" of where it was made..as said I can usually pinpoint a Golden Lion (SH) based .28..because they have found something that works and stick with it...the rest can be a shot in the dark....
my Chinese sucks to be honest...

Last edited by Anthoop; 05-28-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Cmon...I can not handle everyone coming out of the closet at the same time here........beside 1Qwk...you know "he" will return at some point...

There are so many people in China...these things are always going to be difficult to keep track of...but usually you can get a "whiff" of where it was made..as said I can usually pinpoint a Golden Lion (SH) based .28..because they have found something that works and stick with it...the rest can be a shot in the dark....
my Chinese sucks to be honest...
Oh come on.. You think I expect to remember who I am? LoL.. Hardly. I'm just another Internet forum hunyuck that doesn't know crap.

The reality of it is there isn't a lot of financial gain in a bunch of companies trying to crank model engines out. There's a handful of companies making engines and those get rebranded and distributed under different names. Of all the different engine brands, there's probably just a handful of companies actually making them. The term clone comes up all the time - really there can't be many clones as the overall design is all the same. Some "brands" put their "Mark" on their brand to make them stand out a bit but in the competition of the market, there's not much to be gained in trying to be "that" different because the sales just aren't there. With the electric "revolution" taking place right now makes it even more difficult to get any market share for the companies making model engines. People want "easy" and nitro isn't exactly plug and play easy to learn unless one already has good engine experience.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Anthoop

Ye sorry..I forgot...we are just the skimming on the pond...

I think you would be very surprised at what China has...take a look into it...of course plug and play is current...but there are still more factories making smoke than I have had hot dinners...
Old 05-28-2015, 02:32 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Anthoop
Ye sorry..I forgot...we are just the skimming on the pond...

I think you would be very surprised at what China has...take a look into it...of course plug and play is current...but there are still more factories making smoke than I have had hot dinners...
Theres always more going on than what's beneath the surface.. The globally sourced merchandise era makes it difficult to find out what's made and where.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:05 AM
Anthoop

Well shut my mouth.

Erin...turns out that is a SH engine (at least as far as I can tell)... http://www.redrc.net/2007/05/cen-mat...ow-sh-powered/

I took another look because I was intrigued....if you ever have the head off of it could you just measure the bore....would like to know if it is the same as the SH I know...18.5mm.

Edit- think that engine is out of something called a Exceed Mad Storm...look close at the pictures and you can see EX on the side..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-1-8-S...item33a1fc309e

Last edited by Anthoop; 05-29-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Haha! Sure looks like it to me!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:29 AM
ijpom

Yes Anthony, I agree. I found the NitroRCX website and they had the whole range of MadXXXXX with their "Level 28" nitro engine. They all have the "EX" etched into the block (not cast like SH), but they NEVER refer to it an an EX or an SH engine. Some users refer to it as the SH 28 in posts on the site. A new one is cheap (at US$90) from the site.
I have never seen that CEN picture before, but that is the identical block as the EX too.

I did have the head off last night, but failed to have a caliper with me. I too was curious. Just checked for debris in there (there was some manufacturing particles) and it's state of use. It was un-run as sold to me, and at about the 8mm mark to the top-of-liner, the piston stared to push the liner out of the block - due to the good 'new' pinch existing.
Anyway, it's all assembled with roto-start, flywheel and clutch now, and ready to be mounted in-car and broken-in.

I'd be happy to call the SH 28 and this EX 28 cousins that were made in the same factory. Slightly different block, same head (painted black, not anodized blue), same carb and what appeared to be the same internals (looking at the top of piston marking, piston grooves, back-plate, one way bearing, rod's big end and the cranks shaped fluting out of its center bore).

Mystery solved all round.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Anthoop

Good stuff Erin...have fun with it......I can take off my Sherlock deerstalker now.