Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I was in my hobby shop today to see what engines they had in stock. They let me get a look at a few, figured I'd ask about them here to see what anyone thought... Picco .28 pullstart, Sirio .27S, Nova 528, and a Collari .30 or .32. The Picco was $200, didn't see a price on the Nova, the others were about $170 or so. Not serious about anything, just curious as to what these engines are all about. They're all older - I know Sirio and Collari aren't in business I don't think. The Collari engines were sold through Werks.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

1qwksport, thery are all different due to various ports 5 port motor ( 4 intake , 1exhaust port ) make up of carb
plastic(nylon ) or aluminum , bearing , steel bearings vs ceramic bearings motor spool up faster less friction
more hp look into os , novarossi picco ,rb motors ok good luck in your search mugey
Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by mugeyman
1qwksport, thery are all different due to various ports 5 port motor ( 4 intake , 1exhaust port ) make up of carb
plastic(nylon ) or aluminum , bearing , steel bearings vs ceramic bearings motor spool up faster less friction
more hp look into os , novarossi picco ,rb motors ok good luck in your search mugey
Your post is not very helpful. I'm looking for firsthand experience here... General answers with little useful information isn't helpful.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-05-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:36 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Picco and what Nova 528?....I have used certain models of both....I would imagine that the Picco being pullstart was a three port with a blue head (but there are other possible choices...depends on age) but Picco are always very nicely made......the Nova 528 is a legend and I expect that also to be a three port as that is the only one I could imagine being left on the shelf, the three port will pull trees down but not rev like the 528x....
Do not forget that Neal posted about Nova re-releasing the 528 (essentially)....at a stupidly low price....
Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Anthoop
What Picco and what Nova 528?....I have used certain models of both....I would imagine that the Picco being pullstart was a three port with a blue head (but there are other possible choices...depends on age) but Picco are always very nicely made......the Nova 528 is a legend and I expect that also to be a three port as that is the only one I could imagine being left on the shelf, the three port will pull trees down but not rev like the 528x....
Do not forget that Neal posted about Nova re-releasing the 528 (essentially)....at a stupidly low price....
Thanks for that info. There was no info on the boxes about the number of ports. The Collari engine was in the box and sealed, so I couldn't look at it. The Sirio was out of the box and looked very well made. I've read the carbs aren't very stellar on the Sirio and some Collari engines, so I'm not excited about those. The Nova 528 exact model I'm unsure of. It was a pullstart engine though. The Picco was more than a 3-port - it had 3 exhaust ports. One large port and one smaller port on either side of the exhaust port at the top. It had a standard glow plug head.

What I am looking for is an engine that will pull hard and rev hard - mainly to out-pull and out-rev the SH .28/Mach 427 (gold head) engines I already have and not cost a fortune. That Nova .28 from nova direct looks very promising and probably what I'd go with - it's $30 cheaper than the Picco at the hobby shop and I'd get it tax free online. I need to get this Paris Novarossi sold to free up the funds for my .28 I'm looking to get. I was looking at my hobby shop for an engine because I have a gift certificate for that shop that I'd like to use to offset the big lump for the engine. I also like to support my local shops when I can. They have some Paris Novarossi .12CXP engines too. Probably been in the shelf for 15 years.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-06-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

This question is for Neal - the conical manifold you spoke of several posts back ... I worry that it may not fit the truck properly (LST2). The stock LST header protrudes from the engine far enough for the pipe to clear the chassis. From the pictures I had seen of the Nova headers, it looks like they're awfully short and may not clear the chassis. More of a concern is a header that fits the engine orientation on the LST.. A buggy header wouldn't work which most if not all nova headers i'd seen on Novarossidirect were. Do you have a part number for a header that will work on an LST2?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:32 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
This question is for Neal - the conical manifold you spoke of several posts back ... I worry that it may not fit the truck properly (LST2). The stock LST header protrudes from the engine far enough for the pipe to clear the chassis. From the pictures I had seen of the Nova headers, it looks like they're awfully short and may not clear the chassis. More of a concern is a header that fits the engine orientation on the LST.. A buggy header wouldn't work which most if not all nova headers i'd seen on Novarossidirect were. Do you have a part number for a header that will work on an LST2?
guys currently run the onroad ( short) Nova conical on the LST..but I am not sure if the run the L,.M or s...onroad manifolds are quite a bit shorter then offroad.....but i know they do fit for sure as quite a few guys were runing them
Old 01-07-2016, 01:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by supertib
guys currently run the onroad ( short) Nova conical on the LST..but I am not sure if the run the L,.M or s...onroad manifolds are quite a bit shorter then offroad.....but i know they do fit for sure as quite a few guys were runing them
Perfect. Thanks for the info.

edit: the long conical manifold/header is 41017, medium is 41016, and short is 41015. The Novarossi #9886 is not for sale through Novarossidirect.com according to the website. The 9853 is for sale through that site for $44 and change.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I think I'm going to pick up a Novarossi Legend 28-8 for one of my LST2s at some point, and I think I'm also going to grab the Picco .28 that my LHS has for the other one. I don't know the exact model number, but it's gotta be at least a 6+3 port engine. I think it should run pretty strong. I question whether the Losi Spinstart system will work on the Picco and even the Novarossi - will they bolt up? My experience with pull-start big blocks has meant the pull starter lasts for about 2 tanks of fuel and it goes to crap. The Picco is pretty tight.

So my questions for the Picco (I'll get it first and the Nova later):
1. Is the Losi LST truck header too long for the Picco too?
2. What's a good all-around pipe for the Picco? Not racing at all. If the engine has mad bottom end, maybe a upper rpm pipe? I can't afford Nova conical manifolds and 9886 pipes right now, or else I'd get two of those and go to town.
3. Glow plug heat range - hot, medium, or cold? The engine I am getting used standard glow plugs, not Turbos. I have McCoy MC59, MC9, K&B 1L, and Enya 3s. Fuel will be 20-25% nitro and 8-10% castor.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 01-23-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM
supertib

I think I'm going to pick up a Novarossi Legend 28-8 for one of my LST2s at some point, and I think I'm also going to grab the Picco .28 that my LHS has for the other one. I don't know the exact model number, but it's gotta be at least a 6+3 port engine. I think it should run pretty strong. I question whether the Losi Spinstart system will work on the Picco and even the Novarossi - will they bolt up? My experience with pull-start big blocks has meant the pull starter lasts for about 2 tanks of fuel and it goes to crap. The Picco is pretty tight.

So my questions for the Picco (I'll get it first and the Nova later):
1. Is the Losi LST truck header too long for the Picco too?
2. What's a good all-around pipe for the Picco? Not racing at all. If the engine has mad bottom end, maybe a upper rpm pipe? I can't afford Nova conical manifolds and 9886 pipes right now, or else I'd get two of those and go to town.
3. Glow plug heat range - hot, medium, or cold? The engine I am getting used standard glow plugs, not Turbos. I have McCoy MC59, MC9, K&B 1L, and Enya 3s. Fuel will be 20-25% nitro and 8-10% castor.

Yes...its just a long manifold in general....you can use onroad manifolds but I am not sure which one.....onroad manifolds are shorter then offroad and a long onroad may be shorter then a short offroad.......I have not measured or dyno tested so I cannot offer too much advice...

All Picco 28's are 5 ports.....every single one ever made has been a 5 port..they have been advertised as high as 11 ports but they were all the same 5 port....... they do have a bridged exhaust port which appears as 3 exhaust ports........

Older engine will be fine, newer Boost 28 is a little nicer, updated carb and button...but internally same engine

I have no advice on the roto or pull backplates....... I recommend lightly lapping in the piston to reduce the breakin stress, it will save your pullstart,,,,,, or just make sure once you fire it you keep it fired for as long as possible....

086/053/9886/9853 these 2 chamber designs are best for power... use a short double bend manifold.... curved manifolds lose power on these engines....

Nova is a nicer built engine and a better value IMO.... it has a o-ring sealed OWB shaft, a true 28 sized block ( Picco is a punched out 21 )..and comes with a starter wand and several different carbs inserts ( which you wont use anyways )..By weight the Nova is a heavier engine, and by size the Nova is a few MM taller...which allows it to run a much longer connecting, they both have the same stroke, but the Picco has a short block so it uses a much shorter connecting rod.......... I still like both engines and the stock power is very comparable...I just feel the Nova is a better value for the money, its just a little nicer engine with a few more accessories... also the Nova's roto plate is a whole pile nicer and more adjustable........The o-ring sealed OWB shaft is a nice touch too, as without it you can have tolerance(leak ) issues between the backplate the the OWB shaft...wear out your OWB Shaft and go buy a new one there is no guarantee the new shaft will seal in the bushing....At least with the Nova we have a internal o-ring that help create a seal......The more powerful a engine is the more issues you will have with them breathing out the backplate and OWB shaft.........

Nova also comes with glowplug, Picco does not..Nova comes with usable exhaust gasket Picco does not...you need to buy a specialty exhaust gasket for the Picco to fit any manifold I know of, the installed gasket is too small for any manifold I know of why they include it I don't know...issue is OFNA is the only one who has ever had the proper gasket and they are hard to come by..... The Nova comes ready to go right out of the box..none of this nickle dime BS

Last edited by supertib; 01-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks Neal. I already have a pile of different size exhaust gaskets, so I'm not worried about that. I've never had issues with leaky backplate bushings, so that is not of a concern with the Picco either. I know the Nova and Picco are both a quality engine and for my use, either one will work fine and fit my purpose just as well. I'd rather have two different engines than two of the same. No point IMO. It's having something different that interests me, plus I can compare both trucks apples to apples.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

The Picco .28 I'm looking at must be a P3 variant. It's model 51232. I can get it for the same price as the Nova Legend 28-8 which I'll get one of later this summer. Neal - do you recommend the same pipe/header setup for the Nova as you would the Nova?

The only goofy thing I noticed about the Picco is the fact the backplate won't let me use the Losi Spinstart mechanism. The backplate has the same size backplate as a smallblock. The HPI geared starter assembly fits, but doesn't use the same drive as the Losi. Any suggestions to still use the Losi starter wand on the Picco?
Old 01-30-2016, 06:30 AM
supertib

The Picco .28 I'm looking at must be a P3 variant. It's model 51232. I can get it for the same price as the Nova Legend 28-8 which I'll get one of later this summer. Neal - do you recommend the same pipe/header setup for the Nova as you would the Nova?

The only goofy thing I noticed about the Picco is the fact the backplate won't let me use the Losi Spinstart mechanism. The backplate has the same size backplate as a smallblock. The HPI geared starter assembly fits, but doesn't use the same drive as the Losi. Any suggestions to still use the Losi starter wand on the Picco?
yes the 9886/41032 is the most powerful on all of these engines...

I have no suggestion on which backplate to get.....

Let me know how it goes...
Old 01-30-2016, 12:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

yes the 9886/41032 is the most powerful on all of these engines...

I have no suggestion on which backplate to get.....

Let me know how it goes...
Thanks. Evidently the smallblock SH/Dynamite Spinstart backplates work. We matched a Traxxas 2.5 pullstart up and the holes are almost dead on. Only weird thing is the Picco backplate is only drilled for three screws.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 AM
supertib

Thanks. Evidently the smallblock SH/Dynamite Spinstart backplates work. We matched a Traxxas 2.5 pullstart up and the holes are almost dead on. Only weird thing is the Picco backplate is only drilled for three screws.
So your going to want this special exhaust gasket.... nothing else really works too well ..... the outlet on the Picco 28 is very oddball size and shape and requires this specialized gasket, tradational gaskets do not work , which ultimately looks like a short piece of rubber hose....

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OFNA-21-M...item35d5ef5a49

Also set your deck height to 0.4 mm between the piston and the button....... run a medium , medium cool style plug.........
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

So your going to want this special exhaust gasket.... nothing else really works too well ..... the outlet on the Picco 28 is very oddball size and shape and requires this specialized gasket, tradational gaskets do not work , which ultimately looks like a short piece of rubber hose....

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/OFNA-21-M...item35d5ef5a49

Also set your deck height to 0.4 mm between the piston and the button....... run a medium , medium cool style plug.........
Okay, thanks for the info on the exhaust. As far as deck height - is that for regular 20-25% nitro? I think the engine has two shims in it factory, instructions say to leave both in for 20-25% nitro, but add one for 30%+. I usually run 20%. The instructions specify 10% castor oil too.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Neal - would you still recommend the 9886 pipe even for a heavy 4wd MT like an LST? I'm kinda wondering if a 053 variant might be better for a heavier/slower truck.. If I can't get my hands on a Nova pipe, what's the next best?
Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Just to add - the 41032 header will not work on the LST2 truck. The exhaust port faces the left side of the truck as looking at it from the rear. The header needs to come off the engine and make a 90* turn to connect to the pipe.

Edit: The on-road conical manifolds would work, off road will not. 41015 conical short, 41016 medium length conical, 41017 long length conical.

Edit #2. For 9886 pipes - what's the difference between the 51021/9886 off-road and the 50014/9886? The first one is listed under 3.5cc/4.66cc off-road and the other is 3.5cc on-road.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-02-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:55 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I got the Picco the other day. The exhaust gasket that came on the engine won't work on a standard header, but I have 6 new gaskets in my parts box that will work perfectly. My only other question is in regard to the carb. I've read the Picco carbs were notorious for leaking where the alloy end cap meets the plastic body and sometimes needs to be sealed. Should I just put a thin layer of silicone around the joint between the alloy and plastic right off the bat?

I will likely get an Ofna 086 pipe for this engine, but I'm not sure which Nova header I'll end up getting since I don't know how long it will need to be to fit the truck properly. The on-road headers are the only ones that will work it looks like (at least for the Nova headers anyway).
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 AM
supertib

I got the Picco the other day. The exhaust gasket that came on the engine won't work on a standard header, but I have 6 new gaskets in my parts box that will work perfectly. My only other question is in regard to the carb. I've read the Picco carbs were notorious for leaking where the alloy end cap meets the plastic body and sometimes needs to be sealed. Should I just put a thin layer of silicone around the joint between the alloy and plastic right off the bat?

I will likely get an Ofna 086 pipe for this engine, but I'm not sure which Nova header I'll end up getting since I don't know how long it will need to be to fit the truck properly. The on-road headers are the only ones that will work it looks like (at least for the Nova headers anyway).
in th end get the gasket I recommend, none of the others end up working too well ( been there done it )........a tiny leak here can cause tuning nightmares

leave the carb as is.........

I am not sure what header is best.......I hated my LST and sold it pretty quickly so I didn't play with too overly much

OFNA 086 will work, but it is a completely different pipe then a 9886.....completely different power curve and sound

All 9886 are about the same...there is a regualr version and a SS version ( SS means super strong , thicker walls )
Old 02-05-2016, 05:14 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Okay, thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for a 9886. They're not available from Novarossi direct.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 AM
supertib

Okay, thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for a 9886. They're not available from Novarossi direct.

9853SS is 98% close enough
Old 02-05-2016, 05:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

9853SS is 98% close enough
I've been under the impression the 53 variants are low-mid tuned and the 86 are high rpm tuned? Is that not the case with the Nova pipes?
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been under the impression the 53 variants are low-mid tuned and the 86 are high rpm tuned? Is that not the case with the Nova pipes?
I also thought the same but have never used the 98 pipes... any dyno sheet comparisons Neal?

Tim, Dynamite also make 053/086 pipes, I do not know how they compare with the Ofna or Nova pipes ( or price/availability in the US) but have used a Dynamite 086 on both a Picco and Nova .28.....I liked that pipe on the Picco but preferred a Jammin JP2 on the Nova.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Anthoop
I also thought the same but have never used the 98 pipes... any dyno sheet comparisons Neal?

Tim, Dynamite also make 053/086 pipes, I do not know how they compare with the Ofna or Nova pipes ( or price/availability in the US) but have used a Dynamite 086 on both a Picco and Nova .28.....I liked that pipe on the Picco but preferred a Jammin JP2 on the Nova.
I know Dynamite makes some 053/086 variants too, but I figured at the very least the Ofna would be a better match possibly. That's part of why I'm asking the questions I am now so I have the right exhaust system from the get-go. The engine is new old stock and I want to break it in on the exhaust system that I'll run on it long term.

Ive read the Losi HT pipe is basically an 053 type of pipe and explains why my SH .28 P6 falls flat at about 38MPH. The engine sounds like it's got more to give but the pipe is holding it back... A BUNCH. The SH .28 P6 has a 9mm carb FWIW, bad for fuel economy but sure makes good power. I'll be replacing a Mach 427 orange head engine with the Picco.

I'm not sure how old this Picco engine is, but if anyone has an idea, let me know. The head is the newer round one without any cutouts, and the carb has a removable Venturi. I didn't measure it, but it looks to be about 8mm possibly. I'll have to double check. I can post a pic after work.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 02-05-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.