Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines
Reload this Page >

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

So what really sets one engine make/model apart from another?

Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I'll be looking at ordering a Nova 28-8 in the future, and the 9886 pipes are in stock now. The question is which header should I use. I have a Dynamite 086 and Nova 41016 medium length header intended for the Picco .28 I have. Should I use the same header on the Nova 28-8? Would I be better off with the longer 41017 header since it's going into a heavy LST truck? I put the 41016/086 on my SH .28 and after running a couple tanks think there is a possibility the header may be too short for that engine. Will the 41016 be suitable for the Picco? I have to use the on-road headers on my LST truck since the exhaust port on the engine is on the left side of the truck. My picture above shows the Losi HT pipe/Losi header next to the 41016/086. The 41016 is considerably shorter than the Losi header, which should significantly help top end.
trial and error

FYI almost all engine show the same pipe preference.... Picco and Nova will make their best peak on the same setup
Old 03-29-2016, 05:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by supertib
trial and error

FYI almost all engine show the same pipe preference.... Picco and Nova will make their best peak on the same setup
Thanks Neal. Any chance you have some headers on-hand that you've said dyno well and measure their length for me? My resources are limited, so I am not really in the position to buy a bunch of headers to find the one that works the best. On the flip side - if the header is too short, what could be done to the engine to better suit the engine to the pipe/header? I understand if the pressure wave returns to the exhaust port too soon, this can cause problems with how the engine behaves. I also understand there could be "trade secrets" involved with this scenario, so if you can't share the information necessary, I get it.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:48 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Here are my two jewels side by side. Both are very nice engines. I like the fit and finish of the Picco better. The main turnoffs are the exhaust ports being funky and non-standard as well as the engine mount needs to be shimmed to fit the Picco in an LST. The other problems for either engine from the performance (horsepower) standpoint is the choices available for headers in the LST trucks. I have medium length and long length conical on-road headers from Novarossi as they are the only nova headers that have the bends necessary to work in an LST. The downside is they are quite short and as such may require some port work to get the header/pipe to jive with the engine. My plan is to use a medium conical Nova header and Dynamite 086HS pipe on the Picco and a long conical Nova header and Nova 9886 pipe on the Nova .28. Should make for an interesting summer!

The header picture is the medium length on top of the long one to show the difference in length. These are roughly 1/2 to 1/3 shorter than the stock LST header.

I had to turn the carb around on the Nova so the linkage would work in the truck, but they idle speed screw is now in front above the clutch & flywheel. I don't believe it will be an issue other than possibly modifying the spur/clutch cover.

For the guys that think cheap engines are still cheaper than the big name ones, think again. That Nova (Rex) Legend 28-8 is $169 at Novarossi Direct. Last I saw, a Big Red .28 was the same price on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2156699   Click image for larger version

Views:	188
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2156700   Click image for larger version

Views:	96
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2156701  

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-10-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 AM
supertib

Here are my two jewels side by side. Both are very nice engines. I like the fit and finish of the Picco better. The main turnoffs are the exhaust ports being funky and non-standard as well as the engine mount needs to be shimmed to fit the Picco in an LST. The other problems for either engine from the performance (horsepower) standpoint is the choices available for headers in the LST trucks. I have medium length and long length conical on-road headers from Novarossi as they are the only nova headers that have the bends necessary to work in an LST. The downside is they are quite short and as such may require some port work to get the header/pipe to jive with the engine. My plan is to use a medium conical Nova header and Dynamite 086HS pipe on the Picco and a long conical Nova header and Nova 9886 pipe on the Nova .28. Should make for an interesting summer!

The header picture is the medium length on top of the long one to show the difference in length. These are roughly 1/2 to 1/3 shorter than the stock LST header.

I had to turn the carb around on the Nova so the linkage would work in the truck, but they idle speed screw is now in front above the clutch & flywheel. I don't believe it will be an issue other than possibly modifying the spur/clutch cover.

For the guys that think cheap engines are still cheaper than the big name ones, think again. That Nova (Rex) Legend 28-8 is $169 at Novarossi Direct. Last I saw, a Big Red .28 was the same price on eBay.

I think your on the right track with the medium and long conical onroad manifold.... both engines will love the 9886.......... I recommend resetting the head stack on those engines and bring them down to 0.4 mm , then using a medium and colder plugs... like a P6TC, P7TH on the Picco and a C7TGC in the Nova ......

check out how nice the Nova's backplate is with the inner o-ring on the OWB shaft.... crazy good value for a engine like that
Old 04-11-2016, 08:10 AM
supertib

Thanks Neal. Any chance you have some headers on-hand that you've said dyno well and measure their length for me? My resources are limited, so I am not really in the position to buy a bunch of headers to find the one that works the best. On the flip side - if the header is too short, what could be done to the engine to better suit the engine to the pipe/header? I understand if the pressure wave returns to the exhaust port too soon, this can cause problems with how the engine behaves. I also understand there could be "trade secrets" involved with this scenario, so if you can't share the information necessary, I get it.
its hard to accurately measure the manifolds... for sure without any question the offroad are longer, so I do think your on the right track with using the medium and long onroad manifolds......... as I said already adjust the head clearances and run them at 0.4 mm or 0.016" between piston and button...... I use a dial indicator to set this .....
Old 04-11-2016, 11:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I think your on the right track with the medium and long conical onroad manifold.... both engines will love the 9886.......... I recommend resetting the head stack on those engines and bring them down to 0.4 mm , then using a medium and colder plugs... like a P6TC, P7TH on the Picco and a C7TGC in the Nova ......

check out how nice the Nova's backplate is with the inner o-ring on the OWB shaft.... crazy good value for a engine like that
The Picco came from the factory with a .4mm head clearance, the Nova is .35mm stock. I haven't found a source for Picco plugs, so I was gonna start with some McCoy MC8 and MC9 plugs in the Picco and I ordered several C6TGC plugs with the engine since that's what Nova recommended for that engine.

The one-way starter shaft has a pretty stiff fit out of the box, but I bet it will seal good. I think a properly fitted one-way shaft and bushing will seal adequately with the right fuel mix and a good needle setting. After all, the oil film is what seals the front bearing of the engine and not the flimsy rubber shield installed in the bearing.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM
supertib

The Picco came from the factory with a .4mm head clearance, the Nova is .35mm stock. I haven't found a source for Picco plugs, so I was gonna start with some McCoy MC8 and MC9 plugs in the Picco and I ordered several C6TGC plugs with the engine since that's what Nova recommended for that engine.

The one-way starter shaft has a pretty stiff fit out of the box, but I bet it will seal good. I think a properly fitted one-way shaft and bushing will seal adequately with the right fuel mix and a good needle setting. After all, the oil film is what seals the front bearing of the engine and not the flimsy rubber shield installed in the bearing.
how are you measuring clearance ? as the Nova is far from being 0.35 mm stock...it is closer to or slightly above 0.6 mm.... the Picco will be between 0.5 mm -0.6 mm ( some were even higher )
Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The Nova head button protrudes into the cylinder 3.75mm without shims and the piston is 3.5mm below the top of the liner at TDC. It came with two .3mm shims. Id have to look back at my notes on the Picco. It seems some Picco .28 engines came with varying numbers and thicknesses of shims, but mine has two .2mm and one .1mm shim under the head.

I use a digital Vernier caliper to measure. I don't have any depth micrometers or dial indicators unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:30 AM
Anthoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Nova head button protrudes into the cylinder 3.75mm without shims and the piston is 3.5mm below the top of the liner at TDC. It came with two .3mm shims. Id have to look back at my notes on the Picco. It seems some Picco .28 engines came with varying numbers and thicknesses of shims, but mine has two .2mm and one .1mm shim under the head.

I use a digital Vernier caliper to measure. I don't have any depth micrometers or dial indicators unfortunately.
Easy way to check head clearance ( I am sure you know) is to use a length of soft solder....and angle it through the plug hole...compress then measure ( you can alter orientation to try to account for piston rock)...there are other methods also but none of these static measurements will ever be of much use.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 AM
supertib

Myself I don't trust the solder method as its really difficult to get the solder to the exact perfect outside of the sleeve , and if the solder isn't touching the outside your not getting a accurate measurement...

the best way to do it is with a dial indicator down the glowplug hole... indicate and zero off the piston at TDC then indicate the button on a flat surface.... easy as can be and extremely accurate....
Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 AM
supertib

So the other day I did some dyno testing and decided to do a manifold vs pipe test all on the same engine.. I took 4 offroad manifolds and 4 offroad pipes...... So first I tested 4 different pipes all on the same manifold, then I tested 4 different manifolds all on the same pipe....Ends up the manifold makes a much bigger difference then the tuned pipe, I pretty much already knew this but I was definitely surprised by how dramatically ... so the engine I used was a Modified Novarossi Rex Paloma Ltd and the pipes were all Novarossi 9886,9853, 9901, 2096 and the manifolds were 41001, 41032, 41033, 41021

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Someday I'll get a dial indicator. For now, I roll with what I got. My caliper may not be 100% dead accurate, but it's what I got.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The manifold changes the tuned length more dramatically than the pipe does. The overall length of the system is what determines your power. The pipe and its shape/number of chambers will have an effect to some degree, but the length is the ultimate determining factor.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:07 AM
supertib

Someday I'll get a dial indicator. For now, I roll with what I got. My caliper may not be 100% dead accurate, but it's what I got.

So just to double check I just measured a couple 28-8's ..they sit at 0.62 and 0.64 mm ..... using your caliper you were in the 0.3 mm range which is way off the mark
Old 04-16-2016, 05:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

So just to double check I just measured a couple 28-8's ..they sit at 0.62 and 0.64 mm ..... using your caliper you were in the 0.3 mm range which is way off the mark
So how is the math not adding up then? Button depth is 3.75mm without any shims, piston is 3.50mm below the top of the liner at TDC. There are two .3mm shims. All I'm measuring is the space between the top of the piston and the very bottom edge of the heat button at TDC.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:42 AM
supertib

TDC is 3.6mm

Button is 5.79mm - 2.29mm = 3.5 mm

add 0.6 mm shim

giving a measure clearance of 0.70 mm that shifts to 0.64 mm once head is clamped down
Old 04-16-2016, 06:30 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'll remeasure my button.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I must have mis-wrote my measurements in my notes. After remeasuring the button, I too got 3.5mm button depth without shims. My apologies for the confusion.

My tool showed 5.80mm - 2.30mm which gives 3.5mm.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Nitrovein

So the other day I did some dyno testing and decided to do a manifold vs pipe test all on the same engine.. I took 4 offroad manifolds and 4 offroad pipes...... So first I tested 4 different pipes all on the same manifold, then I tested 4 different manifolds all on the same pipe....Ends up the manifold makes a much bigger difference then the tuned pipe, I pretty much already knew this but I was definitely surprised by how dramatically ... so the engine I used was a Modified Novarossi Rex Paloma Ltd and the pipes were all Novarossi 9886,9853, 9901, 2096 and the manifolds were 41001, 41032, 41033, 41021
It looks strange how the 41032 drops off rather abruptly... To low EGT?
Thinking a colder glow plug might help, but it might just be the way it is I guess.

Also Very strange how little difference there is on the power band with the different pipes, not what I've seen before.
Is it a less sensitive engine?
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I'd love to see some dyno results using the onroad conical manifolds on these big .28s since they seem to be a fair bit shorter than the off-road manifolds are. I'm shooting blind with my LST engine/pipe swaps because I'll have no way of knowing I'm getting the best power from them. I'm gonna bet the manifolds are too short.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 AM
supertib

Originally Posted by Nitrovein
It looks strange how the 41032 drops off rather abruptly... To low EGT?
Thinking a colder glow plug might help, but it might just be the way it is I guess.

Also Very strange how little difference there is on the power band with the different pipes, not what I've seen before.
Is it a less sensitive engine?
A colder plug may indeed help... sadly I am all out and need to order more of those....and yes...it also my be a lower EGT then ideal....power does shift around as the pipes heat saturate ..I could put a sensor onto my exhaust a monitor that fairly easily...

its a rowdy Novarossi 7 port , usually fairly sensitive

Last edited by supertib; 04-21-2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Nitrovein

A colder plug may indeed help... sadly I am all out and need to order more of those....and yes...it also my be a lower EGT then ideal....power does shift around as the pipes heat saturate ..I could put a sensor onto my exhaust a monitor that fairly easily...

its a rowdy Novarossi 7 port , usually fairly sensitive
I was just contemplating why the curve looked like it did, no need to do a re-run.
They play a lot with pipe heat on larger two strokes, we are less fortunate with our glow ignition.

I'm not saying you or your dyno has made an error, I just find it very odd that there is so little change in the power between the pipes.
Kind of makes you wonder why there is so many to choose from, if you can run say a 2084 or a 9886 and have pretty much the same result.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I would lead me to believe the overall pipe length is pretty similar between a lot of pipes bein tested/used. We know that some factors influence the speed and intensity of the pressure waves within the pipe, but the overall length of the exhaust system can have a dramatic effect on power. It would make sense that a shorter system will perform better on an engine with higher timing than it would with milder timing.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Nitrovein

In a way you're both right and wrong at the same time...
It's kind of like saying that a sprinter is fastest with the right shoes, of course if they are to short or to long he will not run as fast. But one should start by describing his feet, as those are the design parameter, the shoes is the solution.

There is a reason why 8/10 successful 4 stroke tuners has started with 2 strokes, understanding wave tuning is one key to success.
Start out by reading some books, then try to understand them, learning them can be done by anyone.
You will soon see why there are so many misconceptions.

There are also forums that deal with these subjects in more detail, as well as webpages (it doesn't have to be all books that you read).
And it's all a friendly suggestion, I'm not trying to be a smart ass.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I was speaking more from a general perspective, as with anything there are variables that will affect the scenario. But I get it nonetheless. (From a general perspective.. )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.