Search
Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Engine Revs are going weird.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I'd look closely in the fuel tank to see if it even has a filter - many tanks don't have filters. Clean the tank out with denatured alcohol, not soapy water. The alcohol will dissolve the oil. Better yet is acetone - but acetone can eat some plastics. No offense, but most engine problems that I've had and Ive helped others with had nothing to do with the fuel tank. 90% of the time it's either a poor fitting piston/liner or carburetor tuning. Also, dealing with off-brand cars and engines presents other problems as the quality control of the engine itself can be problematic with tuning due to the wider tolerance range to which they're manufactured. The OPs engine should have a low speed needle and it appears by the pictures that it's covered with something. If the low speed needle is really a pre-set plug and non-adjustable, I think a different carburetor may be in order of it cannot be tuned to run properly with the stock carb.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:49 AM
SpontaniousCombustion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

The fuel tank is now spick and span and as I looked into the fuel tank I noticed there was some kind of filter looking thing at the bottom on it where the fuel get sucked in. The spare bolts also came today so the pull-start can be reinstalled correctly however due to the state of the air filter I am not sure if I should run the car or not. As I looked in the air filter tube I noticed that it was letting small grit parts come into it, not much but it's not a good sign in the first place as the job of the air filter is to stop any pieces of dirt or deb-re getting into the engine system.

The new air filter is possibly turning up on Monday so it's only a 2 day wait hopefully. While I was waiting I went ahead and purchased some after run and air filter oil so now all I am doing is wating to install the new bolts for the pull-starter and then waiting for the air filter to come and more tests can then be carried out on the car.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 AM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by SpontaniousCombustion
Hello,

The fuel tank is now spick and span and as I looked into the fuel tank I noticed there was some kind of filter looking thing at the bottom on it where the fuel get sucked in. The spare bolts also came today so the pull-start can be reinstalled correctly however due to the state of the air filter I am not sure if I should run the car or not. As I looked in the air filter tube I noticed that it was letting small grit parts come into it, not much but it's not a good sign in the first place as the job of the air filter is to stop any pieces of dirt or deb-re getting into the engine system.

The new air filter is possibly turning up on Monday so it's only a 2 day wait hopefully. While I was waiting I went ahead and purchased some after run and air filter oil so now all I am doing is wating to install the new bolts for the pull-starter and then waiting for the air filter to come and more tests can then be carried out on the car.
Great,....All controversary aside ,none of us want you to get discouraged from the rc hobby!
This is an awesome hobby an it takes time to learn!
What better way than on the car you got now ,regardlees of what it is!

The best experience is wrench an getting to know how things work!...

While you wait on parts ,you can check the other stuff like the drive train.....
Make sure all screws are tight....There will be tiny grub set screws that you wont even know that exist!...An
that can effect the performance an actually put a strain on the engine an the rest of the drive train.

Make sure that the car can easily be pushed & free roll on its own when you push it by hand.
Whit radio gear on ,make sure that the brake is not applied until you apply them with transmitter,make
brakes are properly adjusted...
These simple thimgs can make the engine run smoother an help isolate future tune problems !....

Oh,dont forget the wheels ,each wheel should free spin easily by hand with out restriction ,but also ,always make sure that
the wheel nuts are tight each time you run your car!...

Last edited by cbaker65; 07-30-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Tim34

Hey sorry does anybody know if it's ok to keep Nitro gas in the shed
Old 08-03-2016, 08:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim34
Hey sorry does anybody know if it's ok to keep Nitro gas in the shed
Glow fuel should be kept in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight. Large swings in temperature can make the bottle swell and contract - which isn't usually a big deal, however only if the jug is tightly capped. If your shed gets very hot inside of very cold, I suggest keeping it elsewhere. Glow fuel can "keep" for 20+ years if stored as I suggest.