Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

25:1 oil mix help

Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Cabralkev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25:1 oil mix help

Hey all,

I'm new here. I own a losi five t and it's my first 5th scale RC. When I was pouring a liter of gas, some spilt. So I wasn't sure how much gas I added additionally. It was close to 1L before the little spill I had.

After that I added 40ml of oil. Some of it didn't go through this funnel I used. It had a filter on it, so it struggled to go through :S. After that, I added 2 more squirts of the oil and sealed the jug. Shook it and now it's ready to go. I'm assuming I'm using 24:1. The oil bottle I have looks like I used 42-43ml. Will the extra oil hurt the engine during break in??

Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-2016, 12:26 AM
Cabralkev

See from the image. Maybe 2ml extra I added to the jug. This oil came with 100ml.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160918_031459.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	4.31 MB
ID:	2181373  
Old 09-18-2016, 01:01 AM
Nitrovein

The extra oil won't hurt anything at all.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Cabralkev

Awesome! I was concerned. I may of added a tad bit more gas than the 1L I am suppose to. I remember adding a shot glass worth of gas into the jug after almost reaching 1L. So that's why I added 2-3ml to be safe. My only concern was engine damage from extra oil even if it's 2-3ml. Especially knowing it's going to start up for the first time
Old 09-18-2016, 01:05 AM
Cabralkev

By the way... Thanks for the reply
Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You won't ruin anything using extra oil. In fact, during break-in it isn't a bad thing to use more oil for the first few liters. You'll be just fine.

NOTE: If there is ethanol in your gasoline at all, use a high quality fuel stabilizer. Ethanol gas when left to sit in small carburetor passages has a tendency to gel up and turn into a snotty mess inside your carburetor if it has ANY water in it. Believe me, gasoline with ethanol in it has most certainly has some water in it. The stabilizer will help keep things "good" for longer. I use a product called Sta-Bil Marine at 2X the normal dose.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-18-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:00 AM
Cabralkev

I'm gonna test the mixture today. Hopefully it's not too smokey. If it is, I'll add a bit more gas. As for ethanol, I'm not sure if the gas I chose has it. I went to esso. Then I chose the 91 octane. If it does have ethanol, hopefully the first few tanks of fuel is okay. How can I tell if the gas I chose has ethanol in it?

Last edited by Cabralkev; 09-18-2016 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabralkev
I'm gonna test the mixture today. Hopefully it's not too smokey. If it is, I'll add a bit more gas. As for ethanol, I'm not sure if the gas I chose has it. I went to esso. Then I chose the 91 octane. If it does have ethanol, hopefully the first few tanks of fuel is okay. How can I tell if the gas I chose has ethanol in it?
Ignore the smoke. Don't add extra gas!! Just run the engine on your mix.

Call the gas station you got the gas at. The ethanol won't hurt anything short term, only if stored a long time. Regardless of ethanol or not, it's been my experience that even non ethanol gas can varnish up a carburetor in 3 months. The gasoline sold today is complete rubbish when compared to gasoline sold 20 years ago.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Cabralkev

I won't add extra gas then . Yeah the gas today sucks. It seems they keep adding things to it. I checked the esso site. I'm not sure what I chose has ethanol in it or not. I picked 91 octane supreme. If it does have ethanol, it might be very little of it. Regular gas most likely has a lot of ethanol in it.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I know in the past it was common to see posted "May contain up to 10% methanol' on the pumps. Is this still a requirement in the US? All my small motors have been run on high test only. Habit I guess. I know lots of guys who use regular with no problems. I haven't taken any special precautions except filtering the fuel on fill up of the model, emptying the fuel tank at the end of the day and running the engine dry. Same as I do with my nitro motors.

Be aware changing the oil content or even brand of oil can cause a change in viscosity of the fuel and the carb may need a little fine tuning. Once you get it running to your satisfaction try not to change anything. Use the same oil and mix and you should be fine.

Dennis

PS this is what works for me not the only or best way to do things.

Last edited by Propworn; 09-18-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:34 PM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Hey, your oil mixture will be just fine. I own a new Losi 5T and what a great truck. Break it in right and it will
run like a beast. As well it can for a box stock truck. Beware though, if you go crazy on up grade parts, you
could spend a small fortune and have twice the amount in parts as the truck cost in a heart beat.
just say'in.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Cabralkev

So I did my first run. It was awesome! I was driving the truck half throttle. It was going real fast! I even jumped a bump. I tried to keep it half throttle, but it was tempting to full throttle it! Lol. Overall, it was a fun day. I had to put a hose to the truck, mud was everywhere. I went through a puddle by accident lol. After cleaning the truck, I put the remainder of gas/oil I had left in the jug into the fuel tank. Started it up, the engine started within the first pull. Some water came out of the exhaust :P. All is good . Tomorrow going to run the truck again
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM
Cabralkev

While cleaning the truck, I had it resting on its 2 wheels. Well, it fell over and scratched a bit of the exhaust. The black paint on the top is a bit scratched. No big deal. The exhaust cover has a little scratch. And the spark plug cable. Nothing serious. Just the first scratches is the hardest lol.

One thing I noticed, 2 of the shocks caps wasn't sealed properly. I would run my finger around the top cap, and would feel the shock oil. So I had to remove the shock, unscrew the cap. Removed the black gasket thing. Cleaned it and placed it back. Tightened it to the point it wouldn't turn anymore. It's pretty snug now. Now when I work the shocks, no oil. Losi may of rushed the truck.

Last edited by Cabralkev; 09-18-2016 at 07:57 PM.