Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Traxxas Jato 3.3 Not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:36 PM
JRoemer_98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Jato 3.3 Not starting.

I recently received a Traxxas Jato 3.3 but it wont start, it makes all the noises it should like its trying to start but just wont, I've already removed the carburetor and cleaned it but it got clogged again somehow. I used air filter oil and cleaned my air filter before trying to start and i've never ran the car yet so the filter shouldn't be dirty enough to clog the carb right after cleaning it, my guess is i need a new carburetor because the idle screw just keeps turning and wont move in or out and the fact that it just clogged again. The glow plug is fine I put it in a glow stick and it glows red. What could be the cause of it not starting any help will be much appreciated.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-n...l#post12268831

Some things to try in the link above. These engines need air, fuel, a good glow plug, and compression to run. Most often, glow engines won't run if the glow plug is bad (bad plugs can still glow bright orange) or if there isn't enough fuel getting to the engine. How are you priming the engine to start it? What fuel and glow plugs are you using? What kind of starting system?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:40 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know the carb is clogged ?

If you remove the high speed needle, remove the muffler pressure line from the muffler and blow through it does fuel pour out of the high speed valve body ?

How many turns out are the low and high speed needles?

What are you calling the idle screw?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:42 PM
JRoemer_98

The screw right under the and to the left a little of the fuel in barb

The needles are at stock
Old 11-16-2016, 04:50 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by JRoemer_98
The screw right under the and to the left a little of the fuel in barb

The needles are at stock
OK, that is the idle screw and it rarely needs to be adjusted but that will not stop fuel from flowing through the carb. All it does is act as a stop for the carb barrel.

Saying the needles are stock tells me nothing.
How many turns out are the low and high speed needles set ?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:53 PM
JRoemer_98

HSN- 4 out
LSN- 1 1/2 out

Im pretty sure the carb has a leak in it, when i press the easy start button and pull the throttle the car will drive all around until i let completely off throttle.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 PM
flyinwalenda

How can the car drive all around if you can't get the enging running?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:28 PM
JRoemer_98

I got it after a couple hours and forgot to update my post, Now i cant get it to idle
Old 11-17-2016, 03:15 AM
flyinwalenda

If it's hard to start and won't idle then the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
If it's hard to start and won't idle then the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

Not necessarily. An improperly set idle gap and needle setting can cause hard starting and not idling. If there is a question of whether the engine is worn out, checking the piston fit would be in order. If the engine is easy to turn over by hand through TDC with the plug installed with engine cold, then I'd agree it is probably worn out. If it's hard to turn over by hand, then I'd suspect the carburetor is out of whack. Oftentimes the factory needle settings are too rich for the engine to start and run properly if the engine has some runtime on it. Try holding the throttle open 1/4 when trying to start it with a good prime.

The idle gap should be .5-.6mm. I find turning the idle mixture needle in 1/4-1/2 turn from factory setting is a good place to start for a used engine.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Not necessarily. An improperly set idle gap and needle setting can cause hard starting and not idling. If there is a question of whether the engine is worn out, checking the piston fit would be in order. If the engine is easy to turn over by hand through TDC with the plug installed with engine cold, then I'd agree it is probably worn out. If it's hard to turn over by hand, then I'd suspect the carburetor is out of whack. Oftentimes the factory needle settings are too rich for the engine to start and run properly if the engine has some runtime on it. Try holding the throttle open 1/4 when trying to start it with a good prime.

The idle gap should be .5-.6mm. I find turning the idle mixture needle in 1/4-1/2 turn from factory setting is a good place to start for a used engine.
Well that is my answer for the OP as it was like getting little pieces of the whole story very slowly from him. If someone wants to try and pry other info out then by all means ....take a swing.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:54 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Well that is my answer for the OP as it was like getting little pieces of the whole story very slowly from him. If someone wants to try and pry other info out then by all means ....take a swing.

It does seem as of lately some folks would rather have other folks do the leg work for them... Kind of a pain to help someone when all they need to do is search the forum a bit. I do agree with you though - not getting all of the details doesn't make it any easier to help someone, but if they can't get a used engine running, I have my doubts they'll have any better luck with a new engine.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:48 AM
flyinwalenda

Yes I agree.
My final contribution to this thread.
When all else fails........read the manual ! Good luck.

https://traxxas.com/support/Tuning-Y...st-Performance

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 11-18-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM
fourtofifteen

if the car will start and run but not stay on when you stop rolling. you may have a stuck or broken clutch. which would effectively stall your engine every time you let the car slow down. How to replace the clutch shoes on a traxxas 3.3 engine - YouTube should tell you what you need to know

Last edited by fourtofifteen; 01-17-2017 at 07:25 PM.