Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 motor not staying running

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 03:49 PM
dls0680

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 motor not staying running

Hi everyone. I have not had nitro cars in many many years and recently I picked up 3 used ones for a trade. I have a Revo with a Dynamite .19 motor a 4-Tec 3.3 with EZ start and a T-Maxx 3.3 with EZ start. The guy started them all and they all started just fine but we did not actually run them in the street. I got them home and the first 2 run great but the T-Maxx I gave to my son and he went to run it and he gets it started and lets it warm up then runs it and after about 20-30 seconds of running it it just dies and then we cant get it started again. I tried setting the high and low speed needles plus the idle pins back to factory settings but it still does the same thing. Sometimes we cant even get it to start. I am not sure how many gallons of fuel have been run through it or anything like that but would anyone have any suggestions on what my problem could be or what I could do to troubleshoot it. I gave him that one because it's the one he said he liked the look of the most and now I feel bad because it's the one that is having problems. I appreciate any help you can give.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

How are you priming it? Did you change the glow plug? What kind of glow plug is it (brand/number)? What fuel are you using? What kind of glow driver are you using if not relying on EZ Start alone? Fully charged?

Most often - an engine that quits when cold repeatedly or won't start when all things being "good", are too rich. Especially if set to the factory setting after a good amount of runtime. With fresh fuel, a good glow plug, factory setting on needles; hold throttle open about 1/4-1/5 when trying to start it after priming fuel to the carb and into crankcase. With throttle trigger in neutral position, blow air into pressure line from exhaust to fuel tank. Blow until fuel hits the carb, then go one more second and connect pressure line. Ensure pressure line goes to top of tank and not the feed line at bottom of tank. If your starting system is up to snuff, it should fire with throttle opened some.

Now FWIW - I dump the EZ starter and go to a pull starter. Or at the very least, use a standalone glow driver instead of the built-in glow driver of the EZ start system. The EZ system rarely gets the plug hot enough in the more extreme cases. If the engine is tuned perfectly and the conditions are ideal, it works O.K. Nothing more. I currently run two 3.3 trucks (Jato/Rustler) and both are pullstart. Once you get the carb set and you're using reputable fuel and glow plugs, you should be able to prime it and have it fire off damn quick and easily.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the glow plug first. Use a Traxxas 3232x .

If that doesn't solve the problem then check the pressure line from the exhaust pipe to the fuel tank and check the exhaust pipe and exhaust to engine seal for air leaks.
Then check the fuel lines from the tank to the cab for leaks as well as the tank and tank cap.