Notices
RC Car Engines Talk about rc car nitro engines and gas engines

Novarossi p5xlt sputters and dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 AM
idkwhattoputhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Novarossi p5xlt sputters and dies

Hello, i recently bought a brand new novarossi p5xlt, it is the newest one with the black head and the 3 needle carb, i am on the 5th tank of break-in but this has been happening since the beginning. So, when i start up the car on the starter box it will rev easily and wont die however if i give it full throttle very quickly it will act like it's running out of fuel. If i put the car on the ground and try to drive it past 1/4 throttle for about 4 seconds the car will sputter and die. There is a pretty big amount of smoke coming from the exhaust, more than my previous race engines so i do not think it is lean. I am running 20% vp fuel with 14% oil in it. This happens only when the car is on the ground.
My novarossi c6 plug that it came with stopped working so i put in a o.s p3 ultra hot which made the idle significantly better but any help would be appreciated since my car is undrivable rn. Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 04:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You can never use Nova plugs in the engine now that you’ve used an OS plug in it. Just FYI. Next, the ultra hot plug is too hot. You need a medium heat plug in that engine and you need to adjust the carburetor for proper running. It’s likely very rich from the factory and thus loads with fuel and quits. If when you punch the throttle to WOT it cuts out immediately and will die if held there, it’s too lean. If you haven’t adjusted the high speed needle from the setting it had from the box, it’s probably too rich.

Change to a medium heat plug and plan to change fuel to something with less oil in it once it’s got a half gallon through it or so. Or burn up the gallon of 20/14 you have and go to 20/11 or 20/10 after.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 PM
idkwhattoputhere

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i messed with the tune and the issue was solved after i leaned the bottom and richened the top it runs beautiful now. btw i got another nova plug and the engine runs very well and doesnt leak from the glowplug,i dont think that the os plug caused any damage to the button since i can use both nova and os plugs and there are no leaks!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I wouldn’t make it a habit of switching brands of plugs. The OS plugs are different and you will damage the head (or rather deform it slightly due to the different plug taper) if you tighten the OS plug too tight. Most guys running Novarossi engines including myself will wholeheartedly recommend Nova plugs in Nova engines. The C6TGC or CTO6 plugs are all I use in my Nova engines.

Mat any rate, I’m glad you got your engine running well. Enjoy it - the P5 is a great engine. I have one myself.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:34 PM
idkwhattoputhere

Hey, what you are saying about the os plugs is true, but i guess i got lucky since the os plug i used was the older "p" series which have the long taper like the novarossi ones, so that explains why my novarossi ones work just fine. I looked at the pictures of both plugs and the taper on the newer "rp" os plugs is short unlike the nova one so i wont touch any os plugs for my engine again.