Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

An open letter to Traxxas

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
CraigV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An open letter to Traxxas

I posted this on the Traxxas forum, and it was deleted almost immediately.

<o></o>

To the management of Traxxas

<o></o>

I bought my first Traxxas truck back in February of this year. Soon afterwards I found I had questions about the vehicle. As I’ve done with other products I’ve purchased, I sought out a forum where other users could exchange information, advice and tips. While I did find a wealth of useful information, I was confounded by the strict rules regarding discussion of anything that does not carry the Traxxas brand name. Across forums regarding specific manufacturers of items such as cell phones, firearms, home theater equipment…etc., I have never encountered restrictions on conversations about related items and other brands, until I came to the Traxxas forums.

<o></o>

At one time, one of the forum members (and a Traxxas customer) posted a question about the Mamba branded motor and ESC that came with his vehicle. He was told by one of the moderators that questions about products not made by Traxxas must be directed to that items manufacturer. This seemed rather odd to the member posing the question, as well as several other members & Traxxas owners, as the motor & ESC are advertised as being an integral feature of the vehicle, which bears the Traxxas name. The nature of this business is such that third party items are sometimes sought after in order for the user to create a vehicle to their personal preference. Sometimes users find that a third party item works better for them in a given application than the same item from Traxxas – like it or not, that’s just the way of things. To effectively put a gag rule on the free discussion of such items may seem prudent, wanting the owner to only consider Traxxas items, but in the end it creates an atmosphere of disdain among the members of the forum, who ultimately are your “bread & butter”.

Anytime I enter a hobby store in search of a Traxxas item, I don’t even have to ask where to look. The Traxxas name dominates the shelves and peg boards. Your products are sought after because of the reputation they have built among users, and I really don’t think you have anything to worry about from the competition. Indeed, having competing products from other companies is good for any type of product in any kind of business. It motivates manufacturers to continually improve their products, while keeping costs in line for the end user and buyer. The very definition of a “forum” is free discussion and even debate of topics. The inclusion of these items in forum conversations helps to promote not only these third party items, but lets the buyers of Traxxas vehicles know they have a resource for the free exchange of information, ideas, tips and to share their experiences.

<o></o>

In addition to the conversations about the items at hand, most forums also have a “general” section for discussions about other interests. One of the forum members on the Traxxas boards posted that he had come home from work to find the fire department putting out a fire, which as it turned out, burned down his house, and took everything he owned with it. A significant and unfortunate event which the member/owner wanted other members to know of. He asked for some help, which others were willing to give him, only to have the thread deleted. I’m not sure what prompted the moderators for this action, but I can’t imagine the conversation became inappropriate. I, like the other members, realize there needs to be limits on the content of these posts – language, pictures, videos…there are younger members on the boards, and as a business, Traxxas must maintain a climate which promotes the fun nature of its products, without offending anyone. However, I cannot understand why a member telling about a tragedy in his personal life would be in violation of these rules.

<o></o>

What it comes down to is this – the items you sell, and we buy are toys. People refer to them as “hobby grade” to help justify the amount of money they spend, but really, it’s all about having fun. I believe it would be in the best interest of Traxxas to let their customers know that they want them to continue to have fun with their items, including the discussion, use and second hand sale of items from other manufacturers.

<o></o>

Thank you for your time and consideration.

<o></o>

Craig Vinson

Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: An open letter to Traxxas

As i am a member on the Traxxas forum i have to say this is very well put. In fact it don't even surprise me that your post (this letter) was deleted there. Hope at least they reply your letter. It is indeed a very strange forum.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

they wont answer. (although PeterV might chime in after consulting with the legal team, i think he lurks around the forums)
why woulda dictator discussthere doings with peasants? they are the high and mighty super power and they can and will do whatever they want. if yougo againstthem in any way they will eliminate you and your work.
iv said it for years that they are nothing but propagandists, now you know why. the only name they want you to know and the only manufacture they want you to know is there's. and there products are 100% perfect in every way and never had or haveany flaws. problems and other productsdon't else exists in the delusional world of traxxas. so if you want to continue to be a traxxas owner and fan you better lose your free thought, pick up your pom poms and start blindly cheering.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Lars from Norway

Well put to you too, SB! They also make a fool of themself by sensoring some products, like Hobby King and others. And why do you get warnings each time you write the word/name "Hellfire" there? You have to write H e l l f i r e to pass the language filter, that is where i earned my stupid 60% warning.

But hey, it is nothing wrong with the members there, they are helpful and i have got a lot of help there, and a lot of nice replies in my Rustler thread.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 PM
johndavis

sounds to me like the moderators for trexxas need to reply with more professional responses.as faras deleting a post because of mentioning a different brand is childish. we buy the products we want. all have different opinions, what a bad world we would have if we all thought the same.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I think that their mods are really strict, don't they have rules about specific resolution limits and stupid stuff like that for posting pics?  Also I don't like the fact that you need a e-mail address for a paid webprovider (I can't even sign up with my yahoo e-mail address)
Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Lars from Norway

Yes they do, Mazda. Maximum 480x640 resolution on the pics. And you can't upload pics directly from your computer, only embed with link to Photobucket or similar. But i can live with that part.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
jatoracing33

It's their website, so they can do what they want. It's not like the government or something; they do what they want. However, I do agree that they shouldn't do what they do. To be honest, if they would keep posts about how other products are better, they could use it as feedback to make their products better. Though, I doubt they would really lose any business because of the way they police their online forum, and if they're making money, then they won't change a thing.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

It's their website, so they can do what they want. It's not like the government or something; they do what they want. However, I do agree that they shouldn't do what they do. To be honest, if they would keep posts about how other products are better, they could use it as feedback to make their products better. Though, I doubt they would really lose any business because of the way they police their online forum, and if they're making money, then they won't change a thing.
exactly.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well we have to remember they own their boards, for help and solutions with TRAXXAS gear. Are they overboard with sensoring the word hellfire yea, BUT lets look at it in another light if you were running a forum for your company would you want people coming in and making posts about other companies products, some of which might say they are better than what you sell?
If you didn't know there are a few URL's and forum names you cannot say here due to the same reason

So in all honesty its their forum they use to promote their goods, for problems for their RC's, and you play by their rules. If you don't like it then leave there.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Lars from Norway

Originally Posted by Lars of Norway
Fair enough to me that they want to keep it clean here, but in this case i thought they didn't want to see any other brand names on the forum. I have seen this on several forums (e.g. Ford-forums have censored Peugeot to %&ug}$@ and so on), so i thought it was the same here. But, if ******** (whatever it is, i typed the eight "*" myself now) is profanity, i stand corrected and accept that.

And sorry to bajabloke for making this very off topic.
You now have 5 Warning Points.
The ban limit is currently set to 25 Total Warning Points.

You are not expected to know "every profanity in english." The language filter will let you know when you've erred. Then you change the word whether you want to or not. Your posts on the topic bordered on trolling. Please step back and try to see that the language filter is designed to make this a forum friendly for ALL ages. If you read the Rules, you will see that typing *s or symbols is not allowed, and you have decided to do that anyway. You've made your point. I trust I've made mine.
I have edited your post.
Here is a pm i got from earning a warning point there. Can someone tell me why Hellfire is profanity?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Candre23
My Feedback: (8)

Nobody considers "hellfire" to be profanity. However, it is the name of a non-traxxas vehicle, so maybe that's why you got spanked.

Honestly, with all the highly active RC forums out there, why would you even bother with one that is not interested in open discussion? Stop using the traxxas forum, and you won't have to deal with their issues any longer.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 PM
CraigV

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Well we have to remember they own their boards, for help and solutions with TRAXXAS gear. Are they overboard with sensoring the word hellfire yea, BUT lets look at it in another light if you were running a forum for your company would you want people coming in and making posts about other companies products, some of which might say they are better than what you sell?
If you didn't know there are a few URL's and forum names you cannot say here due to the same reason

So in all honesty its their forum they use to promote their goods, for problems for their RC's, and you play by their rules. If you don't like it then leave there.
Check out attwireless.com & http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.phpfor just a few examples of answers to your question. If I were out and out bad mouthing their product, that's one thing. The moderators there take their responsibility too seriously.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:25 PM
CraigV

ORIGINAL: jatoracing33

I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately the prevailing atmosphere is as suburban hooligan describes.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Lars from Norway

ORIGINAL: Candre23

Nobody considers ''hellfire'' to be profanity. However, it is the name of a non-traxxas vehicle, so maybe that's why you got spanked.

Honestly, with all the highly active RC forums out there, why would you even bother with one that is not interested in open discussion? Stop using the traxxas forum, and you won't have to deal with their issues any longer.
Well, have a look in [link=http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?p=4498896#post4498896]this[/link] thread. Hope you can read it if you are not logged in.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:58 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigV

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Check out attwireless.com & http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php for just a few examples of answers to your question. If I were out and out bad mouthing their product, that's one thing. The moderators there take their responsibility too seriously.
But remember I said if. Not all places are my point was they own the forum and they can do what they want. If they wanted they could make HPI, Duratrax, and ponies against the rules to say, and label them as profanity. They own it plain and simple. Honestly people act like the freedom of speech in the Us constitution should apply to privately owned boards. No matter where you post you are at the owners discretion, and have to play by their rules plain and simple.
Go on blizzards wow forum and start posting how you find Guild Wars(just a name off top of my head mentioned in posts that were deleted), or some other MMORPG superior to wow and see how long it lasts.

When you make an account you agree to comply with their T&C for access I'm sure in the legal mumbo jumbo somewhere it has a field about posting other brands being against policy like alot do. Just some forums have more moderators who are more on the ball are better moderated then others.

Now am I a fan of draconian moderation no. I find it can kill off some good threads, but can I complain when a company is enforcing their T&C that you agreed to when you signed up to use their forum no I can not.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
moe7404

to: graig vinson i had some trouble with traxxas as well. someone said something and i though it would be funny to list a list of alcoholic drinks. well traxxas said i cant do that. well ok thats fair. so i looked the rule up and yes you cant list alcoholic drinks, or tobacco or drugs, well ok iam good with that. BUT the next sentence tells me i CAN NOT USE THESE THINGS. wait!!! i HAVE a mother!!!! i dont need another. if i said what i thought the webmaster would delete it. so THERE traxxas, i will NOT go to your forum, the ONLY reason i will keep traxxas cars/parts is that i have to much money invested in them.. oh iam looking for a firestorm
Old 09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whats with the warning points? are we in kindergarden?
it was 4-5 years ago now that i found RCU. since then i havent bothered to look at any other forums. not saying that RCU is better than all the rest, but it has everything i need and its easy to post/keep informed and find good deals on used items in the marketplace.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
moe7404

i was deleted on beat your truck, cause i gave instructions on mixing your own nitro. also those other sites seem to have a lot of kids. i got to where i couldnt stand the kids. i got in trouble for saying " i have socks older than you"
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

I am with you nitro.  I use RCU almost exclusively.  I have seen some guys get in a "heated" discussions and the mods rarely step in, which to me is OK.  We can't touch each other!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Deleting a post because of mentioning a different brand is complete GARBAGE! Are they really that threatened by it? It's not like they have to worry about being outdone with all their over priced kits or anything...weaksauce!
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I think the mods are just following the Traxxas forum rules; either that or they will not be mods anymore.
They are also very sensitive when it comes to discussing a product of theirs that has malfunctioned; I started a topic about how many people had issues with the VXL-3s and after 7 members giving their thoughts and stories about their esc's failing too they closed the thread and the Traxxas Marshal responded before he closed the thread with this
"To the OP:
Should you want your product fixed, telephone Traxxas at:
1-888-TRAXXAS (1-888-872-9927) or
send an email to [email protected].
These forums are not meant as a substitute for PROPER support channels."
Now I don't know if this was directed at just me or to all the members who replied but I was in know way bashing their products or their company I was merely asking a question and I think they took it the wrong way. But who's complaining; they replaced my esc with a new one (free of charge) and it was way after the 30 day warranty had expired and from what I heard from the Traxxas customer service representative it seemed like the esc malfunctioning problem was an on going problem because they responded by saying this " Oh no not again; this is getting ridiculous".
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 PM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: moe7404

i was deleted on beat your truck, cause i gave instructions on mixing your own nitro. also those other sites seem to have a lot of kids. i got to where i couldnt stand the kids. i got in trouble for saying '' i have socks older than you''
I hear ya moe7404; I got pm'd by Chris that he was disappointed with me because sucideneil was giving me a hard time and I retaliated.
Chris basically said that because sucideneil has more experience than 90% of the members he is allowed to get away with his behavior.
Is this fair ?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
GW

Screw the Traxxas forums. I only come here for questions, answers and info. There is no need to go elsewhere.

Very nice well worded letter
Old 09-26-2010, 09:44 PM
BCConsumer

I thinkthe Open Letter is quite reasonable. And some of the policies on this site limiting forum content make no sense. I'm a happy first time Traxxas owner myself, after buying a Traxxasproduct (Rustler) in place of a competitor's product that broke after 8 minutes of very light use on the local baseballdiamond. The wheel fell off. When I posted an accurate and fairly mild observationthis in the forum for that manufacturer, it was promptly removed, supposedly as "manufacturer bashing". I have to wonder whether this site exists as a means of permitting objective discussion and the exchange of information, or as a means of selling products in an atmosphere free of any critical discussion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.