Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What do you think/hope future of RC Cars will be like?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What do you think/hope future of RC Cars will be like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Gweedz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think/hope future of RC Cars will be like?

I remember 20+ years ago if you had an ESC everyone would rush over to see it. And it took you 5 minutes to explain what BEC means andwhy there are noAA batteries.

Fast forward to today, after a 20 yr hiatus, and I'm scratching my head figuring out lipos, brushless, etc.

What do you hope or think we'll see in the next 10 years?I think traction control/ABS is very near. How about active electronic suspensions? Maybe even miniature fuel cells?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What do you think/hope future of RC Cars will be like?

I think RC technology has nearly peaked, there might be some good battery innovations allowing like 3 hour run times... but other than that, not much more can be done.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
redfisher1974

wouldn't the motors fry after 3 hour run times?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Gweedz

I know most construction equipment that use electric drive motors are moving from DC to AC motors. Any benefits of doing this in RC? Maybe not with today's technology, but in the future?

How about stability control? Imagine not having to worry about flipping the thing or sliding around a corner (unless you want to of course). No reason a gyro can't be used for this and feed instructions directly to the ESC & steering servo.

I don't remember, but I wonder if 20 yrs ago we though we had peaked also.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:13 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Nitro has parked and seriously doubt we'll see anything new in that area for a while if ever.. As for electrics we're going to continue to see huge increases in power and battery life. Run time will be measured in hours or days vs mins. I have no clue what the next major step in electric motors will be but there will be something new and we'll all be looking back at the old days when the cars only ran 70 mph.

I'm also expecting to see the voltage we run on to jump. I can see RTR beginner cars running in excess of 100MPH on the included 20+ volt battery. High powered rigs could be running 50-60-70 volts.

I'm also expecting things to lean toward larger cars. I still don't understand the fascination with Mini's. Yes I have a couple but they are no where near as much fun as the larger cars. 1/4 scale or larger could be the next big craze.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1/10th & 1/8th gassers (cause nitros kinda high)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yes yes yes! that would be awsome. if they could make a 10cc 2 stroke motor that could push a 1/10 scale rc to 30mph or better...that would be great. i love my KM baja, but its too big to drive in some areas.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

yes yes yes! that would be awsome. if they could make a 10cc 2 stroke motor that could push a 1/10 scale rc to 30mph or better...that would be great. i love my KM baja, but its too big to drive in some areas.
yea the size kills it for me or I would have a 1/5th.
Over crowded city + small apartment != good place for 1/5th scale
Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM
proanti1

I would like to see a gyro/receiver combo in road vehicles... now that cars can easily hit 60 off the shelf, a heading lock gyro isn't a bad idea.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

There is a Chinese company producing a compact 17cc gasoline plane engine, which is roughly about the same package size as a .61 I guess... so a 1/10 scale gasser would not be too far out. I was thinking of picking one up to see if I could cram it in an old tmaxx roller thats just collecting dust.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:36 PM
bloodpuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitro will run on cow manure
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I would like to see the continued push to scale realism with the 1:1 counterparts, but with the enhanced performance we have come to expect.

I am loving the trend towards scale realism right now. That, when coupled with all of the advances in RC suspension, batteries and electronics creates something very exciting.

What if I could buy a 1:8 scale truck that mirrors a new production truck? And I could add-on scale Rancho, Pro comp and Rize lift kits, 38, 40 and 44" scale licensed tires and rims, Fox shocks, the whole nine. The key is that scale often sacrifices for performance, but I feel that manufacturers can remedy that with thoughtful designs and possibly a gyro to enhance stability. I love the Tamiya Hi-Lux, but it isn't as nearly as exciting as a brushless Revo or HPI Flux. I want the two to meet somewhere in the middle. Performance and scale in any format will be very exciting.

I think fuel injection would be amazing for nitro. Imagine a nitro engine in your truck or car that self tuned and never needed to have a needle adjusted ever? Direct port injection? yes please.

That's what I want to see.

I also think RCs will eventually by controlled by our minds, similar to Mindflex. Laugh now, but it will probably happen.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Xmoto16

ABS IS HERE!!! yay
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM
johndavis

there is lots of posibiliites in all aspects of rc. i have seen a video of a make shift fuel injection , where the fuel was put directely into the head, it didnt run to good but its a start.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 AM
AlienModified

I don't think nitro is peaked, I think there is still room for advancement. However, battery technology is moving forward, with the drive for green power. That will eventually lead to, as mentioned, longer runtimes. Instead of 10-15 minute races, you'll start to see enduro races that can run an hour plus.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 AM
sheograth

I agree with what Gribbles said. And I would like to see more use of higher end materials and composites. There are too many mini micro and entry level 1/10 vehicles being thrown out by the industry, I'd want to see some emphasis on very high end professional grade stuff.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 AM
johndavis

i agree materials will improve in time and will benifit all . this was probally talked about 50 years ago when it was thought about not being able to improve who knows
look at computers, in the 60's a computer took up a whole room now its the size if a note book. who would have thought that in the 60's. as long as people think and try new stuff will come out. ive got a couple of ideas might work might not.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:33 AM
13BT

Id like to see cars toughened a bit more against dust and water. Traxxas has a waterproof truck. And Tamiya's Sand Scorcher has a cover against sand. But that should be standard for all buggies and trucks in future.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:02 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Cheaper fuels is all i could ask for..

It would be nice to have a bio fuel engine at an affordable price. Like corn, soybean, and ect..

I'm still waiting on my fricken Hover Board from Back to the Future II [:@]
Old 10-02-2010, 08:27 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Not to through a wrench in the fan but I can see regulations put on High speed RC road vehicles. With the availability and price of brushless vehicles and the speeds reaching above 40, 50 even 60 MPH the injury rate has gone up. I don't care what anyone says these vehicles being able to reach speeds in excess of 60 MPH can and "are dangerous". Its not the cars fault its the" people driving them." There is always some guy doing something stupid and someone gets hurt. and at those speeds we are talking damage.
you have to follow the rules of the road when driving any vehicle be it a Bicycle, lawnmower, tractor, even walking. So what happens is someone will be driving a RC car on the stree,t the posted speed limit is 15 MPH, The car can go 65 plus see where I am going with this

On the other hand I can see speed controllers being able to have traction control just like real vehicles no more need for a slipper clutch
Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM
OvalRacer99

ORIGINAL: dalolyn

Not to through a wrench in the fan but I can see regulations put on High speed RC road vehicles. With the availability and price of brushless vehicles and the speeds reaching above 40, 50 even 60 MPH the injury rate has gone up. I don't care what anyone says these vehicles being able to reach speeds in excess of 60 MPH can and "are dangerous". Its not the cars fault its the" people driving them." There is always some guy doing something stupid and someone gets hurt. and at those speeds we are talking damage.
you have to follow the rules of the road when driving any vehicle be it a Bicycle, lawnmower, tractor, even walking. So what happens is someone will be driving a RC car on the stree,t the posted speed limit is 15 MPH, The car can go 65 plus see where I am going with this

On the other hand I can see speed controllers being able to have traction control just like real vehicles no more need for a slipper clutch
Just to ad my two cents to that, I do agree that we are reaching for way to much speed and they're a few rc companies that are promoting the speed too much (Traxxas?)
I understand the new guys and the "need for speed" but in my opinion speed is worthless without control, but I am also a racer and not into bashing. Someone talked about gyro's, I do believe there is something simular available for rc cars, it's called an "Adjustable stability control system" and I believe it's available from HPI. (Iuse one on a dirt oval car)

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/80588/
ADJUSTABLE STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM / DADJUSTABLE STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM / DRIFT ASSISTRIFT ASSIST

Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: johndavis

i agree materials will improve in time and will benifit all . this was probally talked about 50 years ago when it was thought about not being able to improve who knows
look at computers, in the 60's a computer took up a whole room now its the size if a note book. who would have thought that in the 60's. as long as people think and try new stuff will come out. ive got a couple of ideas might work might not.
actually the comp from the 60's I think a cheap digital wristwatch has more processing power now than those
Hell my laptop is roughly the size of a nintendo DS

But ya I can almost see some sort of law enforcement (or attempt) to regulate RC speeds if enough pedestrians get hurt by what I call the land scud missile group (aim and pull trigger and hope it goes, and stops where/when you want) Either that or cities will start to flat out ban RC's on public sidewalks, parks, and streets.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 PM
On2_n_On4

Not to through a wrench in the fan but I can see regulations put on High speed RC road vehicles. With the availability and price of brushless vehicles and the speeds reaching above 40, 50 even 60 MPH the injury rate has gone up. I don't care what anyone says these vehicles being able to reach speeds in excess of 60 MPH can and ''are dangerous''. Its not the cars fault its the'' people driving them.'' There is always some guy doing something stupid and someone gets hurt. and at those speeds we are talking damage.

it is possible....
but think about it., rc airplanes have been reaching those speeds for YEARS and IMO they are way more dangerous than rc cars.

I can see regulations, laws and people getting tickets for driving rc cars on the street...but thats about it.

lets see.....speed governor for our future rc cars? lol
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AlienModified

I don't think nitro is peaked, I think there is still room for advancement. However, battery technology is moving forward, with the drive for green power. That will eventually lead to, as mentioned, longer runtimes. Instead of 10-15 minute races, you'll start to see enduro races that can run an hour plus.
i can already run my brushless SCT for 25 minutes on a 5000mah 2s lipo. and they already make lipos with like 8000mah. so, we can already do longer races if you got the right lipo.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
ScottStaypuff

I can see 4 separate lightweight electric motors, low rpm/high torque, each driving a wheel. Less gears and drive shafts (or none!). Also the speed control would do the job of the differentials electronically. Also drift control/brake bias and all kinds of other fun stuff could be programmed into the speed control.

Other than that continued battery advances for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.