Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

SOLDERING is not fun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
cliffkp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLDERING is not fun!

im not mechianically inclined at all... soldering blows... I can't get it.. im bleeding from shoving a flat head screw driver into my finger... ( when i was trying to push the molex connector into the traxxas fitting ) of course the connection from the battery to the molex snapped when i was trying to get it in.... *** do I need to do differntly to get the solder to actually weld and join the two and not just break off every time im trying to put the stupid peice in.. bit frustrating
Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
genitor

Default RE: SOLDERING is not fun!

It's really easy actually once you get some practice.
You can practice a bit on old plugs and wires etc.

These videos should help you out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4yFeki8dn8
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultimate...39/_mQ6Cx6iXic
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

I know, soldering is the only thing I take to the LHS to help with (I would rather pay a little $$ than spend a lot replacing something I messed up). 
Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Heat the work, not the solder. Soldering is easy if you've got a decent iron and some practice. Something like Hobbico's 60w iron is more than enough for all your RC needs. Used one for 7 or 8 years before upgrading to a Hakko 936 clone.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPR36&P=ML

And make sure to snag some new tips for it, too.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPR38&P=Z
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
cliffkp

can a 30w solder iron put out enough heat to heat the wires? tried leaving it for a bit but not alot of luck only close to the tip melted
Old 10-15-2010, 12:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

No, a 30w iron cannot do the job properly. Especially soldering 14+ ga wires to battery connectors and such.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

No, a 30w iron cannot do the job properly. Especially soldering 14+ ga wires to battery connectors and such.
Agree
I use my 30w on 16 and higher(smaller for those that don't understand the gauges). Also soldering components on circuit boards 30W is great for.
I like to use a 100W iron on the 14 and lower (thicker)wires and soldering to my traxxas plugs it makes very short work of the job
Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As they say, soldering is easy. Clean well, make sure you use resin core 60/40 solder, and heat the parts until the solder flows....don't try to flow solder on to parts. Buy some extra flux (liquid) can help a lot as well, but you should be able to get by without it.

As far as I'm concerned, soldering irons are for circuit boards (there are exceptions). For wiring, get a soldering gun.....no waiting, almost instant heat, lots of wattage....works great:

Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to solder but I have been doing it all my life. My dad use to build electronics and I was doing boards by the time 6 yrs old. Go to radio shack and get yourself their 60W pencil iron, a couple rolls of solder and a cheap spool of wire and sit down for a couple of hours and practice.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM
secretsg

Not fun, but necessary. Practice is key
Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
OvalRacer99

Soldering is my job. Do it 8 hours a day sometimes 6 days a week. (I work for a company that builds PCboards) Takes lots of practice and the right equipment.
I use a Haku soldering station and a weller 300 watt gun for all my RC. Also, ALWAYS use some flux, it makes for the best solder joints.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

Did you know that they thought at one time that the shuttle that exploded in the 80's was due to a cold solder joint? 
Old 10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
bloodpuppy

Ijust dont have a proper place.
Iset up a dish on my kitchen table and i try and balance vice-grips on it to hold the wores.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:35 PM
HJJFFFAA

I use a 40W iron to solder those 12(?)AWG Turnigy wires to Deans Ultras. U mad?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bloodpuppy

I just dont have a proper place.
I set up a dish on my kitchen table and i try and balance vice-grips on it to hold the wores.
i know the feeling. i use a clamp to hold my deans plug, with a battery on the clamp to hold the clamp in place when putting wire on the plugs.
i have a cheapo iron i got from radioshack. i 1st put some solder on the deans plug(have to heat the plug some 1st) then put some solder on the wire, then put the wire to the plug and heat the solder thats on the wire. at each step, i make sure that the iron has a good amount of solder on its tip.
it took me a while to figure out how to get a good strong bond on my plugs. practice is the main thing. there are nicer soldering irons, as well as special clamps made to help RC hobbiest. but with alittle patience you can do it!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Argess

I use one of these a lot. Just make sure the alligator clips are away from the area to be soldered, or it will be difficult to get the wire/part heated up.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HJJFFFAA I've soldered 12 gauge with my 30W iron before it just takes a hell of a long time to get the wire to the proper temp (think it took 6 minutes of continual heat when I did it) whereas my 100w iron it takes 20-25 seconds to have a solid joint.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Stickbuilder

Heck, I used to sweat my own fuel tanks with solder and tin cans. Don't like to solder? You need some soldering lessons. It is another gratifying part of the hobby.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

If you hate to solder... go the way of crimping... Use Anderson Power Poles... http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/

Be sure to order their Tri-Crimp tool for about $40...

Unlike Dean's plugs... you can pull these apart single-handedly... no more wrecking your entire plane when the Dean's plug finally lets go!

Hands down a much better way to go... IMHO[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

I found it again... check out this link in Fly RC ... http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.html

or this one from RC Groups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109771

Del did a great job of showing the in's and outs of these great connectors!

I had lost track of that article and I'm always getting guys asking me about my connectors.

Never a blown Lipo pack from a solder-gone-bad either in the making or using.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 AM
p51Dpony

good advice above:

30w iron for small wires only
60w iron for most everything else
ALWAYS USE FLUX, I like the gel/paste type but liquid ok too, it makes the solder flow into the parts way better.
HEAT THE WORK, once hot enough the solder will flow right into everything but USE FLUX

Additionally remember rosin-core solder for most hobby uses (and all electrical type connections) as acid-core is for plumbing with copper pipes and for structural things.

I spent the first 10 yrs of my soldering life either not getting the heat where I needed it or trying to do a solder connection without flux, either omission will give you fits.  Best of luck, your life is about to get better 

One more thing, if an iron can't get the heat into the parts fast enough then consider a small butane torch for your heating tool, works good on bigger pieces  such as a 4ga 12v wire getting soldered into a large metal terminal that attaches to 12v car batt...
Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree and sympathize with the OP. Soldering SUCKS... But I think the others are right too - you need decent equipment.. I had some cheapo $10 thing I saw in the checkout of an electronics store or something, and I hated everything to do with soldering - and yes, it was those dumbaxx Traxxas plugs too...

One more expense (and hassle..) to add to the list if I ever decide to get a brushless RC... Nnnaaa.... Fa-get about it... Sticking with nitro anyway...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 AM
cumquat

i prefer butane irons, i use this one http://www.harborfreight.com/pen-tor...ife-66050.html
its decent, cheap and does the job just fine. plus, you can take it with you to your favorite bash spot and fix any broken wires.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hakko 936 clone which is giving me problems, the cheap tip they sent me will not tin or transfer heat. I have cleaned them and wrapped the tip in solder to let it melt slowly but the dam tip just oxidizes and wont tin... I hope by buying a good tip from hakko this will be fixed.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 AM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

I have only soldered deans plugs and bullit connectors. I would consider myself proficient. When I do deans plugs I hold em with needlenosed pliers with a rubber band around the handle. Works well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.