Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

building a new track hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 PM
jakerz04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a new track hopefully

Alright, to start with I live in a small town with 4 other towns in our school district area. I know of 12 rc drivers in these 5 towns and who knows how many more me and my helping friend could meet with our project. Also champaign Illinois is 15 miles away from our town there could be more (but this project is for us small town drivers, we who cannot drive 50 minutes to the track, and for us who are residential street bashers)

to the main part, we don't want just bashing anymore, we want somewhat organized competition between our peers and a place to bash with friends withough having to "watch out for that car"

In our town there is a 67'x118' unused lot where the took away a tennis court 3 years ago that sits idle-y overgrown with weeds
with this lot we are going to write a formal letter to the mayor and town board, and have a meeting about being granted to land to build a self funded and donation self maintained rc track
with restrictions such as nitros from 11am-630pm (because of the residential area its in) and no nitros during baseball games on the diomond next to the track, and no driving after dark...

and we will go with a petition signed by the drivers, neighbors and overall supporters of the project for a "positive place for "kids,friends,families, and a community to get together"

so with that said, even though we haven been granted permission yet, i want to start planning designs for a track and being able to fit a track stand and a small pit area so if someone can give little sketches with ms paint, etc. with little measurements for an idea
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
jakerz04

Default RE: building a new track hopefully

bump
Old 10-25-2010, 04:14 PM
moezer

i could prob help with a mock up if i get time how big is this place?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
rc person 577

Really, the best way to do it is to go up there, and look at it. Look for dips, bumps, hills etc. Design the track around the place, not the place around the track. You want like 10-13 foot lanes. What about drainage??? If the water does not drain, that is an issue. You will need boarders. If you plan on jumps, you will need to bring in dirt. 

There is a lot to think about when doing something like this. I am also trying to build one with the help of experienced builders, 170'*70' and it is like 10 time the work I ever thought it was. Good luck though.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like you have the proposel pretty well thought out! if you go into the meeting with a well thought-out plan and signed petitions then they will be very likely to give you permission.

i tried at my local community center...but they didnt have any empty land to use[]
Old 10-25-2010, 06:33 PM
jakerz04

well its at a street corner, and to be 25' off each of the 2 roads and 30' off the baseball fields, that leaves us with about 67'x118' of overgrown, and unused park-land...

i have drawn up 2 designs that utilize about 50'x110' of the land with room for a track stand (i will pay out of pocket for) and for a "pit area" (which will just be folding tables that will be there on weekends only).... both tracks have jumps and plan on having banked corners... hoping to get money and have it worked out to start next spring (we will have 2 tillers, a few shovels and lots of man hours from so far only 3 people, hopefully more when the ball gets rolling)

these drawings utilize our space with extra room to spare
both have the roadside drains (so i assume drainage wont be a bad thing)
to start off and or depending on dirt ,we might make ramps out of wood

and the land is fairly flat
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1164587895
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31535391&l=a455f678d2&id=1164587895

Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like the second pic better. looks like a more challanging layout.
just make sure that each lane is at least 8 foot wide.
but, with a 100x60 foot piece of land, that should be pretty easy. thats gonna be a good sized track. hope it goes well for you!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
jakerz04

well with the second layout the lanes would be to big, at a wopping 18ft width , bring it down to to 13' and save 30' of length (which could help us get the land easier the less we have)

Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 AM
palmdes1

My .02

Don't start thinking about what your layout will be before you talk to the city. It took me 7 months of going to the city almost every week in order to get everything required to get the lease. From electricity up to code, water pipes, lights, 2,000,0000 insurance, getting good dirt/clay for the surface, ADA wheelchair compliant drivers stand ramp (thats a Big one!). Also, don't expect to make any morey off of it, and expect to put a lot of time in it, before and after you get the land. The city can be a real PITA sometimes, so I wish you the best. We need more people to open up tracks to help grow the hobby. Also, make sure there will be enough pit space. You may only want it to be a small fun track right now, so did I, but later on you may want to host big races with 100+ drivers and feel the need for a bigger piece of land. My land is 200'X100'.

http://www.palmdesertrcraceway.com/

PS: A petition won't do anything with the city.