Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Sealing nitro engines

Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealing nitro engines

Traxxas says use only the o rings to seal the carb & engine,
everybody else says in addition, use rtv sealant too.
What does everybody do in theirs ?
And exactly which rtv do you use ?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sealing nitro engines

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Engine-Sealant

Lucky 7. It's what was recommended to me by an engine modder with years of experience.

Don't know about Traxxas, you may want to ask them yourself if they have a help forum. I know some sealants aren't nitro proof and could possibly enter the enginge and gum things up pretty bad.

I seal the back plate, the carb neck where it seats into the engine block, and the carb needle casing where it meets the carb body.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Smiff 24

Thanks tommygun,
Is lucky 7 a jel or the consistiancy of say locktite ?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
tommygun32

It's deff not a gel consistency, a lot more liquid than that coming out of the little bottle....yah, it's more like loctite. I use a toothpick to spread it.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
f1n3sse
My Feedback: (4)

I would not seal anything that could come in contact with nitro fuel or nitro exhaust with RTV. Lucky 7 or 1211 threebond, otherwise known as yamabond. nitro fuel will break down RTV.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:54 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

Autozone sells sealants that are fuel proof so they probably hold up to nitro fuel. I have been using the cheap walmart stuff since I was a kid and it has never once broken down due to fuel, heat, or whatever other factors it experiences when on an engine. I use it to seal my carbs and backplates on every engine. I can't remember the brand, but I do know it is silicon RTV.

All of the sealants are probably in the same ballpark pricewise, so if you've never used one then just go with the best of the best, and from what I've read here it sounds like that would be Lucky 7.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

I definetly suggest sealing your engine, I use regular gasket maker from Autozone, so far it has held up?  I fought the tuning of an engine until it was sealed, after that not issues.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: rooker

I definetly suggest sealing your engine, I use regular gasket maker from Autozone, so far it has held up? I fought the tuning of an engine until it was sealed, after that not issues.
I seal every nitro engine I have new or used. I use Permatex Ultra Copper or the Permatex high temp (red in color) RTV sealant. They both hold up just fine against nitro.. The key to using RTV is having clean surfaces to start with. If its not clean, the RTV won't adhere and will/can create a leak. I seal the backplate, carb base (I keep the o-rings, just add RTV to them for extra insurance) and all of the different parts of the main needle assemble EXCEPT the needle threads themselves. For this I use o-ring lube for pneumatic nailers. (Mine is from Stanley Bostitch and is synthetic) Never had an engine leak yet. A little bit goes a long way.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM
The_Shark

there is a copper spray you use on 1/1 car exhausts, no clue if it would work or not, worked wonders on my corvette exhuast though