Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Running the tank dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Blankstare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running the tank dry

I just got my nitro Rustler and i was wondering if it is bad to run the tank fully dry rather than pinching the fuel line before its out?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:14 PM
whitexj
My Feedback: (1)

Well i just squeeze my filler bottle and stick it down in the tank., That sucks up most of it. Then jsut run the littloe bit thats left out.,
Old 08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
NitroFreak

Default Re: Running the tank dry

Originally posted by Blankstare
I just got my nitro Rustler and i was wondering if it is bad to run the tank fully dry rather than pinching the fuel line before its out?
When you run the tank dry the engine revs because it runs leaner, but when you pinch the fuel line you do the same thing you restrict fuel flow and more air goes into the carb then fuel.

I don't think that it hurts the engins at all(they usually tell you not to do it during a breakin). I have been doing it for about 5 years and I still have the same engine in my RS42.

I usually just put my finger over the exhaust stinger for a second. (whatch out some times is burns) when I want to shut the car off.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Smalls

Actually, I use the pinch test to check on tuning also. Nothing wrong with running the tank dry. It happens all the time.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:38 PM
NitroFreak

Originally posted by Smalls
Actually, I use the pinch test to check on tuning also. Nothing wrong with running the tank dry. It happens all the time.
Good point. It is a good test for the low speed settings.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:41 PM
William H

I was told to run all of the gas out is that ok or is that what I am supposed to do?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:59 PM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by William H
I was told to run all of the gas out is that ok or is that what I am supposed to do?

LOL
Old 08-04-2003, 10:17 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Watch it kids!!

I dont think theres anything wrong with running out of gas.

BUT.. there is a catch.

Your engine is running on very little fuel (AND OIL) so your car will be slightly harder to start the next time around (possibly).

On the other hand, choking the engine by putting your hand on the stinger may flood your engine and also making it hard to start.

the easiest way I've seen is:

Just hold your car and stick your shoe's heel on the flywheel!

Heck I've seen people stop the motor by stopping the flywheel with their FINGER ! I'm too much of a wussy to try that but I do it with my shoes and it works well.

Ram
Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 PM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

Originally posted by William H
thats what they are talking about....maybe you should read :stupid:
Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Blankstare

Aight thanks you guys
Old 08-04-2003, 11:00 PM
nitroman88

On my cars I stop the engine by hitting the flywheel with my finger, it doesnt hurt me or anything.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:18 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

For real? I'm kinda scared because last winter... my car went out of control, and while it was full throttle.. my finger touched the flywheel.

Yes.. it hurt. I'll stop there.

I have bad memories from touching the flywheel lol

ram
Old 08-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Shadow102

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
For real? I'm kinda scared because last winter... my car went out of control, and while it was full throttle.. my finger touched the flywheel.

ram
umm yeah i know what you mean my buggy went outa control and i went to stop it with my finger at full throttle...well lets just say its a good thing the heat from the friction cautarized the wound so it didn't bleed. and then i tried to use my Tx to stop it and it just chewed through it like a dremel tool. Honestly i think the best way to stop an engine is the exhaust stinger....it is always exposed, it doesn't lean the engine out and starve it of oil, and you can use the sole of your shoe or a flat part of your tx to plug the hole
Old 08-05-2003, 01:45 AM
Me+RC=$$$

My car got stuck at full throttle in my hand once (I was an idiot, still am) and my knuckled nabbed the spur gear while I was going for the fuel line, all I can say is it was messy.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:12 AM
KyleSch

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US

ram
Oh yes, Ive done that I didn't even feel it for a while, till i noticed blood all over me, then it hurt

As for letting the tank run dry, that fine, its pretty much the same as pinching the fuel line. I would not recommend putting your finger over the pipe for 2 reasons. 1 it can burn you, second it doesn't clean the engine out of fuel, which isn't good to be in the engine when its not running. Also, you should not shut off the engine by restricting air flow, one because again it doesn't burn fuel out of the engine, and secondly it may push particles into the carb if you squeeze the air filter. The best way is to either let the tank run dry, or pinch the fuel line. That 3 seconds of running lean will not hurt your engine.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:23 AM
nitroman88

I dont do it when its at full throttle. I have never had a stuck carb anyways.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:45 AM
Billyman

A little hint and piece of mind.

Running a tank dry or pinching the line DOES cause an instant lean condition starving the engine of fuel as well as lubricant (oil) (as "buggies" pointed out).

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some Marvel Mystery Oil. You can add a little to your jug (gallons or what have you) or a few drops per tank upon refill of your car/truck. An eye dropper works well with tank mixing. It's a crankcase/bearing lube, a top cylinder lube and will never gum up. It's great for winterizing or when you run your tank dry. Starve your engine of fuel if you need to but don't sacrifice the life.