Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if Traxxas are good?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does anyone know if Traxxas are good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM
zulugogogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know if Traxxas are good?

I have been to nitro-traxxas.com and have spent ages... more on the Videos than anything else. I am looking at getting in to RC cars and looking on eBay Traxxas seems to most popular but i dont see it here when i do a search. I was also looking at a 1/5 scale model and wondered if that might be more fun. I am after a car that has an engine as opposed to a motor.... the wife wont let me get a heli with a motor so a car fits the bill. Any response would be great, please note i am in New Zealand so the car and potential parts would have to come from ebay.

thanks
Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 AM
cooldriver385

Default RE: Does anyone know if Traxxas are good?

Are there any hobby shops in New Zealand? And yes, Traxxas is probably the most popular company and they are good quality.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
teacher brent

Have a look at rcmart.com. Might be a good deal with shipping. Buy local if you can though, there's nothing like service with a rig like these.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 AM
Devils-Reject
My Feedback: (8)

hell yea i would get a traxxas over allot of other brands, i wouldnt say they are better than the rest but for the money they are damn good
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 AM
DaveG55

There are hobby shops in Auckland. Even a Google search from south Georgia, USA found 3.
Go to one or more of them and see what they carry. A person to talk to, put hands on your RC is invaluable for a newb. Also having a ready source of parts can get you up and running w/o having to wait for shipping, esp overseas shipping.

Traxxas makes a very good product, both electric and nitro. Their stuff is really geared, for the most part, to entry level hobbiests but can be modified easilly to preform well in other situations.

Also, there's tons on RCU about Traxxas products. There is a complete section on Traxxas Monster trucks and a search will turn up tons of info on specific models.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

traxxas is a great entry level brand for people just looking for fun and just wants something fast and tough. i dislike the 4-tec, jato and nitro sport and would avoid those.

another good company is OFNA (however dont know parts availability out there) and Team Associated.

you need to figure out what car you want too, monster trucks dont go very fast or handle well, but they are a blast taking them anywhere and doing wheelies, on-roads are fast and stable, but limit you to smooth pavement, stadium trucks are great on and off road, but are much more limited than monster trucks, and 1/8 buggies are very fast, very tough and are stable on all surfaces, but ground clearance isnt great.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

another good company is OFNA (however dont know parts availability out there) and Team Associated.
OFNA is the name of the US importer for Hong Nor (e.g. Ultra buggy series, Violator, etc.) and Ho Bao buggies (Hyper series). Actually, I think the Hyper 9 was a true US design, but before that, they were the exclusive importer for those brands. Might be trickier to find OFNA out of the US, however, I agree, I encourage you to look at Hong Nor and Ho Bao products, they are good products.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM
cooldriver385

traxxas is a great entry level brand for people just looking for fun and just wants something fast and tough. i dislike the 4-tec, jato and nitro sport and would avoid those.

you need to figure out what car you want too, monster trucks dont go very fast or handle well, but they are a blast taking them anywhere and doing wheelies, on-roads are fast and stable, but limit you to smooth pavement, stadium trucks are great on and off road, but are much more limited than monster trucks, and 1/8 buggies are very fast, very tough and are stable on all surfaces, but ground clearance isnt great.
The Jato is definitely something NOT to avoid. The Jato is very fast and durable. It's just extremely had to control for a newbie.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:14 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

there is nothing wrong with a traxxas. I have never really had any problems with the three i have owned. that being said, it's not the best car out there, but for someone who is just into rc for fun, it is good
Old 01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

Associated hands down race proven, and the best drivers. I personally have a SC8 for bashing and you can't kill it.
Ihave a buddy that has a Monster GT and again you cant kill it. look them up RC10.com.
They are a little pricey, but what is the best worth????

Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

The Jato is definitely something NOT to avoid. The Jato is very fast and durable. It's just extremely had to control for a newbie.
meh, better off buying a touring car. my 1/8 buggy is scary fast and handles like your doing 10mph at top speed.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

meh, better off buying a touring car. my 1/8 buggy is scary fast and handles like your doing 10mph at top speed.

Well said Shark, I like the SC8 for the fact it has good ground clearance, nice scale looking truck,and the thing is just nasty fast with the stock pro 28 and a Dynamite pipe.
It is kind like the best of both worlds 1/8 scale buggie and a truck, it is a hand full. FUNFUN can't wait till it warms up sum....
The SC8 is probably the best R/C I have owned since the orignal Gold pan RC10, and I have had plenty.....
Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 PM
IROC-AR15
My Feedback: (10)

Traxxas is perfect for a newbie....I'm trading my Traxxas MT for a Traxxas Jato and I have other good brands such as a Thunder Tiger ST-1 Truggy
I had a Losi XXX-NT and a HPI MT2 both broke every run...My Traxxas S/T-Maxx never broke a part except a spur gear and I've crashed it way worse than the two aforementioned
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
The_Shark

i wouldnt trade for a jato.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
zulugogogo

Wow thanks for all the feed back. Yes New Zealand has hobby shops but there is a premium on fun things and so eBay is what i use when i crach my T-Rex heli and i would do the same for the car. The Jato looks like it would really be what i want but i would ask about the slayer as that looks very cool. are the 1/5 scale cars as much fun?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 AM
cooldriver385

1/5 scales are pretty underpowered compared to brushless electrics and nitros, but I hear people have tons of fun with them. They are supposed to be tougher than 1/10 and 1/8. There's not much maintenance. But it comes with a bit of a price compared to a 1/10 or 1/8. 1/5 usually costs 700-1500USD.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM
mlwgf8
My Feedback: (8)

The 1/5 scales are alot of fun but inorder to get them to even come close to having enough power you'll have to fork over alot of money.  also as far as the slayer goes i'd say you can't go wrong with it. I've driven a couple back home and they are small enough not to brake every run but also larger enough that you can offroad with very few issues.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM
rc awesome

So far my slash had been great. Nirto sport is a dud though []