Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Battery run time

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
roccolcn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery run time

Do all 5000 MaH lipo batteries 7.4-11.1 have the same run time? Anyone ? Thank you

Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Battery run time

Thats a hard question to answer, but in short, NO would be the correct answer. The C rating, voltage and all that have a slight effect on run time.

Eric
Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto to the above post.

Assuming you are comparing these batteries in the same car so the only variable are the two batteries then the other features of the batteries Cummins mentioned will all play a part.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 AM
TIGER76

the mah will give you an ideal of the runtime more than the voltages ie 11.1 will be more powerful than the 7.4v one but like others have said it depends on the c rating on some packs and how there used etc
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
DaveG55

Sorry, but it's NOT a hard question to answer.
The answer is NO not every battery of a given mAh rating will have the same run times. In fact, it would be far more unusual to find batterys that have the exact same run time than ones that don't.
And the reasons are many. The composition/quality of the lithium, the composition of the polymer seperator, the size/shape of the anode and cathode, The internal resisteance of the individual battery, the welds to the wiring and the wiring itself all contribute to giving each cell individual charicteristics. Then when you start combining cells to make multi-cell packs you start adding to the losses with the addational wiring and connections. And then there's the age of each battery/pack to consider. Like any battery, lipos have a finite life span and the older a battery gets the more it's performance will suffer.
And those are just things about the battery that will vary runtime.
Even with the same car and electronics run times of the same battery can vary. Heat up the ESC/motor and efficency can drop causing lower run times. And obviously driving style/surface, conditions, etc will all effect runtime of any given battery.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the "C" rating plays a big part.
a 40 C 4000mah might actually get longer runtimes than a 20 C 5000mah.
the lower the "C" rating, the harder the batt will have to work to power the motor. the greater the strain, the lower the runtime.

and as with most things, not every battery is given a "true" rating.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I like the easy answer , Yes. All 5000 mah sources will have the exact same runtime.

ps Welcome to RCU roccolcn