Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

GETTING MY FIRST CAR HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM
eggonboost04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GETTING MY FIRST CAR HELP

hey everyone im looking into buying my first rc car. im looking at a 1/10 gas buggy from red cat shockwave. i dont have alot of money so i dont want/need nothing to crazy. i just wanna be able to run it on the grass maybe alittbit of san, but i dont want anything that is gonna break right away. max i would spend is 180. what do you guys think about the shockwave. thank you
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nitro-Gas-RC-Bug...item4aa96772fb

Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: GETTING MY FIRST CAR HELP

Redcats are not the most reliable rc cars out there. On top of that, parts are not available at most  hobby shops, so you will be forced to order from online.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not going to bash Redcat as I have a couple of their cars and I think they are pretty well built overall but they do have a couple of issues here and there so I'm not going to recommend them as a first car. I'm also not going to recommend Nitro as a first car UNLESS You have someone that has experinece running Nitro that can be there the first few times you run the car. Break in and proper tuning are a must and if you mess this up your will not be happy.

If you are truly set on Nitro then let me recommend Traxxas, Associated or one of the other major brands. If you would consider electric and you simply want to bash around then take your pick of any of the 2WD traxxas trucks. The Slash, Pede, Rustler are all great trucks, tough, relatively cheap and parts are available at every hobby shop out there and you can normally find a nice used model for around $120 -130 so you still have cash for good batteries and a charger.

The HPI blitz and E-Firestorm are also great trucks and in your price range.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. It would really be a good idea to start electric. if you are still going nitro anyways, i think you do get what you pay for, in most cases anyways. $180 is kinda pushing what I would ever spend on a new nitro. So for that price i would probably go electric.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to go used and get lucky to get something reliable in that price range. I've been down the chinese knockoff path before and had some weirdness.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Ofna CRT.5 RTR
http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-Jammin-CRT-...item53e5fb371f
not sure on the engine (not heard anything bad about it), but I know the truck its self is pretty tough.
Its around the size of a 1/10th scale buggy
Old 03-15-2011, 01:07 AM
bronx boy

stormer has a hot bodies lightning rtr for 214.00 todat jump on it best buy out there
Old 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Ofna CRT.5 RTR
http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-Jammin-CRT-...item53e5fb371f
not sure on the engine (not heard anything bad about it), but I know the truck its self is pretty tough.
Its around the size of a 1/10th scale buggy
AFAIK any standard smallblock will fit in that thing.

Imagine it with a .18 [X(]