Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Terrain limitations: 1/8 buggy vs. 1/8 truggy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Terrain limitations: 1/8 buggy vs. 1/8 truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrain limitations: 1/8 buggy vs. 1/8 truggy?

I'm looking to get back into nitro rcs after about a year off. Right now I'm looking for either a 1/8 buggy or truggy that I'll use for bashing/messing around. I was just wondering if a buggy will be limited much compared to a truggy in terms of where it can drive and what kind of terrain it can handle due to its lower ground clearance? Any input on this is much appreciated!

ps- my price range is around $300, so i'm looking at the...

Thunder Tiger ST-1: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXASVP&P=FR
Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Black: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRUS1&P=ML
XTM XST: http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...l?pn=XTM145635
Ofna Picco: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVGM6&P=FR
Ofna Jammin X1x: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-4WD-RTR-Buggy

... but mainly the first two. Any input on these rides would be awesome, too!

Thank you!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Terrain limitations: 1/8 buggy vs. 1/8 truggy?

I have about 6 tanks through my 8ight 2.0 (not including break in) and I have had no problems driving it on everything, sand, grass, dirt, etc...I even got it to climb a steep sand hill with street slicks on it.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A buggy will do anything. Not sure about truggies. So I've made a useless post................
Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
bronx boy

look on stormer they have a hot bodies lightning pro rtr for 259.00 this is the best buy out there period it has every hop up on it they have one left check it out as far as clearense t is almost as high as my mountain ttrucks .you are not going to find a better deal i have the ttr st1 and raze st also raze buggy and a ofna picco buggy all great cars but you cant beat the lightning pro they also havr a lower line lightning rtr for 212.00
Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bronx boy

look on stormer they have a hot bodies lightning pro rtr for 259.00 this is the best buy out there period it has every hop up on it they have one left check it out as far as clearense t is almost as high as my mountain ttrucks .you are not going to find a better deal i have the ttr st1 and raze st also raze buggy and a ofna picco buggy all great cars but you cant beat the lightning pro they also havr a lower line lightning rtr for 212.00
Honestly I'd count all that aluminum as a negative. Aluminum A-arms are a HORRIBLE idea period. Instead of flexing like plastic they just bend, and need to be replaced. They also put more stress on other parts of the suspension, transfer impact energy to the weakest link, and weigh it down quite a bit.

Than replacement parts where do you get them? Hotbodies don't even sell them (just looked) so you are screwed when anything breaks.

Jammin x1X CR great buggy its tough as hell, also got a jammin CRT. The truggy in all honesty with MT tires on it gets like 1 inch of additional clearance which doesn't make a huge difference. I can drive the jammin buggy up my curbs with no real issues(there about 3 inches high). I've also let it rip through grass. Yet to break a part on the buggy.

The truggies only benefit is they are more stable in turns IMO, but I find the truggies arms are weaker than buggies(snapped on om my crt).
Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM
bronx boy

they also have a version with plastic arms it is 212.00 rtr
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Truggy will go over much rougher terrain at a much higher speed then a Buggy will...I Also find my truggies more fun to jump with...the larger tires give you a pile more control while in the air....They both have their place but in general I find my Truggy to be more versatile...My Buggy is a screaming missile and a pile of fun, but it only really shines on a fairly smooth surface....
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM
tommygun32

Truggy front end is protected by the front bumber, body shell and two body stays. The buggy doesn't have that sort of protection up front, I have BLOWN apart my entire front end of the buggy (massive abuse). Shattered CF top plate, cracked the front shock tower into two parts, bent shock screws and stays and split the front diff case horizontally in half. The truggy's front end can handle a bit more abuse.

Yes, the A-arms can go, as well as the bumbers, but that's what's meant to go.

A bunch of aluminum parts means MORE broken part down the line. Plastic takes the brunt of the hit, bends, and comes back into place. Aluminum will transfer the forces down the line and break other things as well as themselves.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Honestly I'd count all that aluminum as a negative. Aluminum A-arms are a HORRIBLE idea period. Instead of flexing like plastic they just bend, and need to be replaced. They also put more stress on other parts of the suspension, transfer impact energy to the weakest link, and weigh it down quite a bit.

Than replacement parts where do you get them? Hotbodies don't even sell them (just looked) so you are screwed when anything breaks.

Jammin x1X CR great buggy its tough as hell, also got a jammin CRT. The truggy in all honesty with MT tires on it gets like 1 inch of additional clearance which doesn't make a huge difference. I can drive the jammin buggy up my curbs with no real issues(there about 3 inches high). I've also let it rip through grass. Yet to break a part on the buggy.

The truggies only benefit is they are more stable in turns IMO, but I find the truggies arms are weaker than buggies(snapped on om my crt).
Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
tommygun32

+1

ORIGINAL: supertib

A Truggy will go over much rougher terrain at a much higher speed then a Buggy will...I Also find my truggies more fun to jump with...the larger tires give you a pile more control while in the air....They both have their place but in general I find my Truggy to be more versatile...My Buggy is a screaming missile and a pile of fun, but it only really shines on a fairly smooth surface....
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Truggy front end is protected by the front bumber, body shell and two body stays. The buggy doesn't have that sort of protection up front, I have BLOWN apart my entire front end of the buggy (massive abuse). Shattered CF top plate, cracked the front shock tower into two parts, bent shock screws and stays and split the front diff case horizontally in half. The truggy's front end can handle a bit more abuse.

Yes, the A-arms can go, as well as the bumbers, but that's what's meant to go.

A bunch of aluminum parts means MORE broken part down the line. Plastic takes the brunt of the hit, bends, and comes back into place. Aluminum will transfer the forces down the line and break other things as well as themselves.

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I would disagree, from what I have experienced, truggies are a bit more fragile. They are built exactly the same as a buggy... but have longer arms and bigger wheels. Those big wheels catch stuff in a crash and put more strain on the rest of the car. Truggies are also a bit heavier, because of the wheels.

Get a buggy, pre mounted wheels are DIRT cheap on ebay, parts are abundant, and you will have a hard time breaking the thing.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A truggy will do better on mud, snow and sand because it's larger tires give it more surface area to sit on.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
rc awesome

Plus is has a little more ground clearence
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 PM
tommygun32

Watch the abuse these truggies go through...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-Y_6l3MJM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wDbGQbBiI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zc4ESk2_Sk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4xD1p1hbs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf24-hc7M3k[/youtube]