Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What is the fastest stock rtr nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
buknut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the fastest stock rtr nitro?

Any ideas?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What is the fastest stock rtr nitro?

CEN had a touring car they advertised as 74.3MPH capable. It used a funny looking stroker .15 that was in a big block case. TRX also has a couple that can hit freeway speeds, the JATO around 60 the 4-TEC around 65, but getting them there requires experience and a total disregard for engine longevity.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM
sloppyG

jato 3.3, nitro 4tec 3.3, losi speed nitro

all will be way faster than is useful
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
buknut

im new to nitro really and i was looking at getting a second car, but wanted something really fast.
is it worth looking at something like the cars suggested, or could i spend the money on my hyper 7 and make that quicker?
my jp-4 will be here tomorrow, is it worth spending money on a 2 speed, a new engine when this one packs up etc, or am i best of spending money on something quicker to start with?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
sloppyG

the high speeds aren't really very usable,

you need a lot of space, and it's gotta be paved.

at 50-60 mph your RC goes by you and turns into a spec in the distance in no time, and at those speeds you can't really turn or stop very well. it's like piloting a 6lb missile that's only semi controlled

I'd rather have a controllable 40 mph, in my experience much faster than that and you're limited in where you can run and what you can do with it
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
tommygun32

AS 378 stated, to do this you will need "a total disregard for engine longevity."

If you're interested in managing the long term life or your engine, you will not really want to run it at WOT top speed for more than 3 or 4 seconds.

The thing about these engines is a quick acceleration, and transfering that immense power through the clutch to the diffs, the drive train, shocks, suspension, wheels, etc. Most race tracks won't have a straight run more than 100 meters....and these cars can cover that area within a few seconds before you're braking for the next turn.

I've personally destroyed an OS World's .21 by doing long ass WOT speed runs, did about 20 runs over a 1,000 meters [:@]. Cooked the engine. I was inexperienced with these nitro engines at the time.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
buknut

Thanks guys.....
 in other words spend some money on my hyper 7? its already doing 35-40mph i reckon.
is a 2 speed a stupid idea on an off-road buggy? maybe i should buy some light weight parts?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
tommygun32

If you really want to see what your buggy will do, IMO, stick a top end .21 engine in it. No easy start, not pull start, etc. It's a bump start and the easiest way to start it is getting a starter box.

I'm a big fan of OS, and yes, they do have their issues. A very good .21 engine is a JPX, OS World's or Novarossi. I have experience in the OS, JPX and Nova's. Regarding stock versions, I pull all other stock engines with my OS worlds. Having said that, I will pull my stock OS with a modded JPX .21....

However, that engine's glow plug costs near about 20 bucks each...[:@]

The difference between most .21's and .28 is power and fuel consumption, as well as wear & tear. A .28 will run through more fuel in a 30 minute A main than a .21, that means more pit stops. In addition a .28 installed into a 1:8 buggy will also wear through your diffs and drive train pretty quick. Normally, .28 engines are meant for truggies, not buggies, they are able to handle the extra weight of a truggy.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
buknut

Thanks for the info so if i replaced the engine for an os .21 or other, that presumibly would be quicker than my mach28? but wouldnt a quicker engine put more wear on my diff etc?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

My suggestion is that when you want to do speed runs, throw something like a 16t bell on your buggy and it should be heading towards 50mph with that gearing. Then when you want to bash again, swap your other clutch bell back on. Buggies can be fast and unlike the Speed-NT and Jato, they are actually durable and handle well. [8D]
Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Anthoop

I would agree with Cummins Driver...unless you have the money for another car and would like to have both, a fast car and a buggy.
Buggys as already said are strong and durable (in general) and fast on road cars are light weight and (again) generally need more maintenance and are not so durable.
You could of course spend money on a top line engine for your buggy, but (in the UK) that engine will cost you not much less than the price of a fast on road car, by the time you add a pipe/clutch/etc.
The advantage of on road cars is not only the lighter weight but the 2/3 speed gears. Yes you could add 2 speed to your Hyper but this will not make it as fast as an on road car.
A few of the fast on road RTR cars have been mentioned, do not forget the Schumacher Fusion, it is an old design and does not handle very well but it has a decent engine and 3 speed.
Note also...with on road cars and going fast...if accidents happen it is usually pretty bad. On road cars are a totally different scenario to the Hyper you have.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:36 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOUR MOM!!!

anything beyond 40MPH is fast enough, especially a truck. 60MPH in a touring car is plenty.

i have a rc18 outrunner brushless that will do over 70mph, and it will get air borne if a gust of wind swings by, and after that it will tumble hundreds of feet. its fun but makes me a nervous wreck everytime i take it out.

T-maxx is too slow for me below 35mph or so, and the rc18 is too fast. my 1/8 buggie is just right, and even that is hairy at top speed.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the most fun with my El-cam at 15-20MPH. Most of that fun is sideways with dirt flying everywhere, I'll admit, but it is fun. The tires I run are optimal for the type of dirt you would find on a baseball diamond, but they work equally well in mud and snow. They...don't hardly work at all on pavement.

I do like wringing it out to 40MPH once in a while though.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

ive got a few trucks and an 1/8 buggy all of mine run between 45-55mph on road i can go full throttle off road its more about control and handling (i make speed passes when im on road) just need a straight line on my buggy i have a 2 speed and an xtm 457 that one does 55.2 mph
my tmaxx does about 46 (scary on road) at that speed then there is my twin engine mammoth i havent had a chance to gps it yet but its great on and off road at any speed btw it looks faster than my xtm buggy and sounds oh so good check my gallery if you wanna see pics
Old 04-07-2011, 01:15 AM
buknut

Thanks Everyone!
is a 16t bell easy enough to fit? i didnt build my hyper 7 so im not overly sure on how it all works, whereas with my other (electric) cars, i built them myself and got to know them like the back of my hand.

How much gain in mph will i get with the jp-4 and a 2 speed... any ideas?

Thanks doug, ill have a look now actually.

Also, in all the times ive taken the buggy out, when my mate was filming, i got carried away and give it WOT for a good 8-10 seconds, how dangerous is this on my engine?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

i do long wide open runs(with my buggy and mammoth tmaxx scares me) all the time about 400-500 ft hasnt hurt mine at all i do run mine alittle on the rich side(fuel mixture) fyi
Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 AM
bronx boy

cen has a new car they say does 90 mph. but like everyone said usable speed is what you want. i have a carbon waffer 7 turn electric car it spins out of control at 40 if you nail it .i have had it well over 50 but one pebble or twitch and its airborn..i run my cars at the beach parking lot .make sure you run em rich and have a temp gun .one 900 ft wot run can run up your temp to 350 and thats gettnig to the max bud .i have a few buggys with a .28/.27 and a picco .21 .the picco is the fastest by far top end so size dont matter here.its moe how much you want to sped.remember SPEED COST MONEY
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

A 16t bell would be easy to put on your buggy. Take the engine off, swap the clutch bell, reshim if needed, then reset your gear mesh and go with it.

Watch this, this should give you some inspiration. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWF-q...el_video_title

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWF-qG50diI&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 AM
buknut

Yeah ive been thinking about a picco .21 actually.

i just put my jp4 pipe on today and took it out to run off te last half tank of fuel. didnt get chance to tune it properly and its sluggish from standstill, so ill fiddle with that later, but top end seemed a little better, it sounded healthier at least!

Those buggies looked quick! are they running very lean?
mines not a million miles away from that, but lacks the acceleration at the mo
Old 04-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Airbear

Sloppyg made alot of sense.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
rc awesome

Probably a nitro 4tec, but you really don't want, or can go that fast with out a huge area.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Probably a nitro 4tec, but you really don't want, or can go that fast with out a huge area.
thats not the fastest.. its also one of the worst onroads you can buy.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

if you are going to have several rc cars and trucks,then having a couple speedsters in the mix is lots of fun. i havea couple myself andthey fit their purpose. so if youare up for having at least4 or 5rcs, go for it. otherwise,i would notbother with any top speed oriented rcs:maximum velocity in a straight lineis not the holy grail in thishobby, except for newcomers.

p.s. if you buy it for the right reasons, there is nothing wrong with a 4tec, regardless of the naysayers. i like mine. but, if you want only one touring car,the 4tec isn't it.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 PM
The_Shark

best onroad i ever drove was a ofna CD3 the most forgotten touring car ever.

everything was top of the line, from suspension setup, to shocks, to scissor sway bars. it did 60 easy, handled like it was on rails, flipped it bad with no damage and the body was a bad ass chrysler 300 touring car.

good luck finding one, ive only seen one in 4years, never should've sold it[]
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 AM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

thats not the fastest.. its also one of the worst onroads you can buy.
I don't know mych about onroads, since i have no intrest in buying one. I just knew about the 4tec, and thought that 70 was pretty fast for a RTR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.