Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Where do you store your lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM
lithiumx152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where do you store your lipos?

well ima just kidin but uh yeah i keep mine in ma freezor , no joke so uh yepy ki yay mothre truckers
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Eman77

Auf Englisch, bitte?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

Ich glaube, er ist unfähig, Englisch zu sprechen.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Fastvxl

I store my in a Ammo lockdown box! If one were to catch fire for what ever reason this will help control the fire. I charge in a LiPo bag.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
electricrc68
Banned

where do you buy ammo cans?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

i charge my lipos on my wooden table next to my laptop next to only 20+ cells of NiCd and NiMh. The table sits on a timber floor and half a feet away are curtains and 2 feet is my bed. I charge in a lipo charging sack mad by venom, i doubt its going to work like all the other venom stuff i owned.
shocked the venom bag hasn't spontaneously burst into flames yet, and take the batteries with it

Charge lipo sack sitting in an ammo can by my computer so I can watch em.
Store sit on a old wooden shelf, cause as proanti1 said they don't burst into flames outside of charging unless they get physically damaged.

As for getting ammo can's go to a army surplus store usually under $15
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
electricrc68
Banned

oh okay. i don't have any around me. guess i will have to use my lipo bag to store them too......
Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

oh okay. i don't have any around me. guess i will have to use my lipo bag to store them too......
if you actually* are in philly one of these places should carry them.
http://local.yahoo.com/PA/Philadelph...litary+Surplus

Or you can order online from almost any of them.

* I only say actually cause I know of a few people on here that put Chicago and live over 100 miles out of the city...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah im an hour away from philly. i will check those ones out......they need a ton of those in philly
Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
eddieC

well i just like to keep my lipo battery in ma butox cuz when its there it keeps nice and warm
Troll, party of one, your table's ready.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Guys,
Just a little FYI:
I work for a large suburban Chicago fire department as a firefighter. As part of our jobs, we carry Haz-Mat instrumentation on all of our front line apparatus. We had an incident about 3-4 years ago where a reserve engine, sitting all by itself caught fire in one of the stations. It was determined during the investigation that somehow the battery in the 4-gas meter (li-po battery) had somehow shorted itself out and caused the fire. We check all our apparatus daily and nothing is not checked. It was strange and probably a one in a million thing as these meters are very well maintained by experienced personnel .

Long story made short, yes they can short out and cause fires. I have seen that first hand. Anyone that tells you different is either misinformed or just out and out telling you a story.

regards,
Pete
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
jp_boud

If there is a "UN" marking on the can it is built to some millitary certification called "POP". There is a manual somewhere that explains it all. But basically they will contain or safely vent an explosion for any material they are authorized to transport. The same size can is used here at my current job to ship rockets. Too bad they are so closely controlled, I had to buy mine at a surplus store.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM
aftermarket

ORIGINAL: subsinker

Guys,
Just a little FYI:
I work for a large suburban Chicago fire department as a firefighter. As part of our jobs, we carry Haz-Mat instrumentation on all of our front line apparatus. We had an incident about 3-4 years ago where a reserve engine, sitting all by itself caught fire in one of the stations. It was determined during the investigation that somehow the battery in the 4-gas meter (li-po battery) had somehow shorted itself out and caused the fire. We check all our apparatus daily and nothing is not checked. It was strange and probably a one in a million thing as these meters are very well maintained by experienced personnel .

Long story made short, yes they can short out and cause fires. I have seen that first hand. Anyone that tells you different is either misinformed or just out and out telling you a story.

regards,
Pete
Perhaps the lipo fell below 3 volts? Very strange, glad all is okay.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

to all the people that says that a lipo can catch fire all by itself, then why do we never hear about a transport plane/boat/18-wheeler transporting 1000's of them catching fire and erupting in a massive fire ball !? hobbyking/hobbyparts/LHS never burnt to the ground !?

as been said a lot of times, if you keep them 1/2 charged and dont do stupid thing to them, they will be fine for a LONG time !
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 AM
tommygun32

I know it's not Li-po, and it's not been 100% proven yet....just sayin'....

The cause of this crash is still under investigation, however, it has been determined that there is a very high probability it was caused by undeclared hazmat shipments of Li-On batteries catching fire. Those are the ones widely used in laptops and cell phones, etc.

http://news.aviation-safety.net/2011...incapacitated/

http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/04/03/...batteries.html

And on a side note:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca82392.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1592858  
Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: subsinker

Guys,
Just a little FYI:

regards,
Pete
only question is did the lipo get damaged in some way (moisture, insects, rodents, etc) while it was sitting. If moisture got in then it could have shorted the terminals. I've seen a power transformer that supplied a city block explode due to a rat biting it before.
But exploding for no reason IMO is no more likely than you would get struck by lightning 4 times consecutively or become a multi-millionaire from playing the lotto.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 AM
eddieC

to all the people that says that a lipo can catch fire all by itself, then why do we never hear about a transport plane/boat/18-wheeler transporting 1000's of them catching fire
But they do! The FAA & NTSB are looking into limiting lithium batteries (-ion and -poly) to ground transport only due to the above and at least one other incident involving fire aboard cargo aircraft.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...s-planes_N.htm

Of course, we could all be making up stories about their volatility...

Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lipos spontaneous combustion is like Ghosts, everyone has a story, personal account , pictures ,or video but I have never seen it with my own eyes. I am pretty sure that if lipos can just " poof" on there own no insurance company would insure any hobby shop. Kind like hiring a known arsonist to drive a fuel truck It aint going to happen.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 AM
eddieC

lipos spontaneous combustion is like Ghosts, 
So if you've never seen it, it can't be so?!?!!

Be sure to point that out to the widows and orphans of that UPS crew. 
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: aftermarket

Ich glaube, er ist unfähig, Englisch zu sprechen.
Ich stimme zu; richtig.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: eddieC

to all the people that says that a lipo can catch fire all by itself, then why do we never hear about a transport plane/boat/18-wheeler transporting 1000's of them catching fire
But they do! The FAA & NTSB are looking into limiting lithium batteries (-ion and -poly) to ground transport only due to the above and at least one other incident involving fire aboard cargo aircraft.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...s-planes_N.htm

Of course, we could all be making up stories about their volatility...

from the story you linked:

The number of fire incidents involving lithium batteries on planes or in cargo and baggage destined for planes is relatively small: 15 documented cases since 2000 out of about 75 million flights during that period.

Battery industry officials say some incidents may be due to unsafe counterfeit batteries that aren't built with safety mechanisms. "A properly built and properly packaged battery carries very little risk or no risk at all," Kerchner said.
yea a .0000002% failure rate in transport... And that was not just out of new shipments that was peoples laptops. Also remember during that time there were A LOT of defective laptop batteries that exploded in that time that were made by SONY, which is who I am guessing caused that UPS plane to burst into flames seeing they said there was a charred laptop near the origin...

Old 04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

I keep mine in my BEVERAGE fridge in the workshop [:-] nice and cool seems to work for me!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lipos don't fire up spontaniously unless they have been damaged. Short can be caused by insects or rodents chewing on the black and red wires because it looks like licorice. Why would someone store them in a car, in summer, the inside of a car can reach well over 50 degrees celcius, the limit of a lipo being 60 degrees celcius. People often say it just caught fire but they didn't think the puffing was too bad or didn't notice the sweet smell of a damaged pack.

I have had 2 problems with lipos which were easily taken care of:

1. I had a 3s 4000mAH 40C Lipo Pack from HK, it worked very well but when i took it campining with me i drove pretty much everywhere from sand to grass and dirt. While doing huge air, the pack fell out numerous times (my bad). It was very puffy from the jumps so i stop using it. 2 months later of being in my home and causing no harm i sent it to a friend who wanted to make fire it up. It lasted me 3 months because of my stupidity of using bad quality cable ties to hold the battery down.

2. I had a 2s 5000mah 40C hardcase LiPo pack from HK was stuffed because i was doing huge air and it sometimes fell out (bad cable ties) from 6 feet in the air and just put it in the car again. After all the abuse i put it through (including bashing without a body shell) it got a huge puncture in it  through the hard case. Used it for 3 months after the puncture no problems but i accidently tore one of the balance wires so it has to go. It lasted me 6 months.

Try and find a genuine story that is not user error, you won't. Just bought a 3s 4000mah 30C Lipo for the TB03 (YAY)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
JohnAsaPrice

I store my LiPos in our fireplace. (unless we are using it, which is quite rare)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Nitro-Tom

in an ammo can, with a small relief hole drilled under the latch

works fine for years, has a nice gasket to keep them dry, and make sure not to close the lid, and pinch any wires, which could create a short [:'(]

Cheap insurance.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18560.gif
Views:	17
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1593163  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.