Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Traxxas break in method

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
ejc34710

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas break in method

What do you guys think of the Traxxas break in method? I've used it on two engines and haven't seen any problems. But, if there is some reson why its not the best way i'd like to know. What do you guys think and more importantly why? Please no traxxas haters, if your gonna bash it because its traxxas, dont bother posting. If your gonna bash it for a good reason, i'd love to hear it.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas break in method

my method of traxxas breakin' is to find the biggest jump and hit it at full speed!

i personally like to idle the 1st tank, then drive very slowly the following tanks, each one increasing speed slightly and leaning the mixture.

obviously, traxxas would not give you a procedure that would be likely to hurt their motor. that would not be good for biz. just follow the directions for your model and you will be fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM
ejc34710

I've already broke in my motor and another using this method. Had no problems. Yes, i know no one wants you to be more sucessful with your rc than the compnay you purchased it from. If you have issues, you are much more likely to buy from a different manufacturer the next time. I've just read a few posts here and there with negative comments about the procedure and was wondering why. I also plan to break in any ABC engine i get from here on out using this method so i was just looking for comments. Guess i should fix the title though, lol. I used to use your method, and never saw anything wrong with it, why im switching to the trx method, i dunno. Guess it made sense when i read the manual.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
rc awesome

Traxxas' break-in method is pretty much the standard break-in method. I pretty much just do the same thing that nitrosportsandrunner does.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own a TRX car but if I did I would disregard their break-in method entirely and go with my own. It looks a lot like this:

Set engine at factory defaults
Start engine
Start driving car, goal to get the engine up to 200 degrees and hold it there
Run 95% of the tank through
Shut off
Let cool
Refill tank
Repeat four more times
???
DONUTS!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

+1, sounds like me.

but insted of running 95% of the tank, i only run for 4-5mins at 225F, then shut it down, then repeat 5 more times. (heat-cycle method)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:20 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to hold mine at operating temp longer. That's the only difference between our methods.

Though, usually, 4-6 minutes is all the tank has to give at those carb settings anyways
Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 AM
tommygun32

Don't know the traxxas method actually.

Like 378 and impalapolice i use the heat cycle method.

Only differences are I run 7 to 8 times 3 minutes each. Stop the car and let it cool down for 10 minutes between each run. I also do not touch the needles unless absolutely necessary, i.e. the damn thing is SO rich it won't even idle or constantly boggs when giving it little throttle.

I also like to wrap the head with aluminium foil for the first 4 or 5 runs and usually never more than 1/4 trigger squeeze for the first four runs and never more than 1/2 trigger squeeze for the last set of runs.

Also remember to get the piston to bottom dead center as soon as you turn the motor off.

Once that's done, I'll run a couple of straight tanks through it, letting the engine cool between tanks and begin tuning, keeping things rich for the first gallon.