Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 PM
jaav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

My wife says that with my flying....
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a different brand. Like, say, HPI. Or Associated. Or Losi.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

you cant run those things on terra firma and not expect to brake stuff. switch over to airplanes, more enjoyable and stay off the ground... its the only way dude !
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: SigMan

you cant run those things on terra firma and not expect to brake stuff. switch over to airplanes, more enjoyable and stay off the ground... its the only way dude !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GckzDsh5DM[/youtube]

I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Thanks bro. First of all, aircraft are made of wood. Now, this is good because this means they can be very light, but it also means they don't have any resilience whatsoever to impacts. Thunk one into the ground at even 20MPH and you're going to do serious damage to it. Cartwheel one like I do to my NTC3 every time I run it and you're going to be rebuilding the entire aircraft if any of it survives at all.

Not only that but the speeds we typically run aren't even enough to get most aircraft off the ground. My car is considered quick. It tops out at 40MPH. That's it. That's all it's got in it. At that point the engine is screaming along at roundabout 30,000 RPM, and I can just hear months of service flying out the tuned pipe every time I make a speed run. Most of the time I never hit 20MPH. Never even need second gear. The NTC3 may be quick but it's nothing compared to even a slow flying trainer. My NexSTAR could easily blast past my NTC3 like it was sitting still! Well maybe not in my hands, but still...40MPH? That's a typical cruise for the plane.

Combine the wooden construction and hair raising speeds...yeah....cars are always, always, always, always going to fare better in a crash.

They're easier to drive, too. I never needed an instructor and a buddy box to learn how to pilot my first nitro car...

By the way, braking is a good way to avoid breaking things.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, because it's impossible to break things on an airplane
Old 04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is know need to switch to aeroplanes. The are some cars that a great and some that are not so great from every brand. example
hpi savage flux great, hpi blitz great, hpi e10 not great.
The best thing you can do is to choose your rc wisely, as if it will be your last rc. Yeah so take a break from RC till your ready to get back in. You could fix up and sell your current cars that you are no longer attached too to recoop some cash. 

Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 AM
jaav

Build a SPAD And they will bounce or a cable tie,CA and 5 mins, Your flying again..
Old 04-24-2011, 04:06 AM
cooldriver385

It doesn't bother me if the car breaks here and there every so often. But it seems like every run now something decides to break, and it's always those same parts. This thing hasn't stay in one piece in a week. And my Jato? Tisk tisk, the engine is shot.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:26 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Id start with making sure you are meshing your spur/pinion correctly. i found that will save you many spur gear headaches and is less wear on the tranny. In fact, ifthe truck/carhas been well maintained and everything set/adjusted properly, you wont break things half as much. Ive been racing my 4X4 Slash for about 8 months now, regularly and have only broken the following: 3 stripped spurs, two sway bar links, one blown off shock cap, and the VXL-3s crapped out just weeks before I intended to buy a MMP, so not really a loss there in my book. My fiancee on the other hand, with her Blitz, breaks something almost every time she runs but she does nothing in the way of maitenance, adjustments, inspection or tuning. I may be wrong, but from what Ive seen with us and countless others, there is a pretty strong correlation there. It's just like a 1:1 car, if you take zero care or improer care, it might last 150,000 miles. If you do proper upkeep, it may reach twice that.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

i was about to give up on this hobby too because of my dad. he doesn't let me buy things for it because he thinks im wasting money. its my own money. its like he controls it.......but i keep trying to tell him its my money........it sucks.
think about what your dad is saying, he has the wisdom to tell when something isn't working out. I'm not saying you have to quit the hobby but try saving up for a while then choose a rc that you know would give you the least trouble.

well im not using all my money. i mean i still have a ton of money. its not only rc, its for other things too that he tries to convince me not to do.

Why would your father try to influence your thinking? Could it be that he cares about you and your future? I think so.

Remember, he has been your age before and he knows how the hormones can manifest themselves in one your age.

What is it that you are trying to feel by being involved in R/C? Chances are great those same feelings can be had in less expensive and more productive ways. The same exact feelings. The problem is, at the moment, you do not know where to find those same feelings. Maybe Dad can help you with that. I'll bet he can. Listen to what he says and ignore how he says it.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 AM
cooldriver385

I properly care for it. And the spur gear stripping doesn't happen too often, but it's mostly the driveling component and servo saver. I know I know, I need an RPM bumber.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 AM
CAPT. DAN
My Feedback: (64)

I don't know if your Dad is right or wrong. I do know some of the best times in my life have been spent at our flying fieldwith my son. You're darn right it gets expensive. We lost (totaled ) a $4,000 plane. but the experience of investigating the reason behind the crash, the underlying causes that could have been prevented and consoling each other Father to Son is Priceless. Did we replace the plane? Not yet ,some of Lifes' other expenses are more important but again working together towards the common goal of getting another "flagship" plane has given me (the Father )a great opportunityto learn about the man who once was my son. I can only advise either of you, father or son, to take the opportunityto learn about each other and grow.

Thanks,
Capt. Dan
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: 378

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GckzDsh5DM[/youtube]

I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Thanks bro. First of all, aircraft are made of wood. Now, this is good because this means they can be very light, but it also means they don't have any resilience whatsoever to impacts. Thunk one into the ground at even 20MPH and you're going to do serious damage to it. Cartwheel one like I do to my NTC3 every time I run it and you're going to be rebuilding the entire aircraft if any of it survives at all.

Not only that but the speeds we typically run aren't even enough to get most aircraft off the ground. My car is considered quick. It tops out at 40MPH. That's it. That's all it's got in it. At that point the engine is screaming along at roundabout 30,000 RPM, and I can just hear months of service flying out the tuned pipe every time I make a speed run. Most of the time I never hit 20MPH. Never even need second gear. The NTC3 may be quick but it's nothing compared to even a slow flying trainer. My NexSTAR could easily blast past my NTC3 like it was sitting still! Well maybe not in my hands, but still...40MPH? That's a typical cruise for the plane.

Combine the wooden construction and hair raising speeds...yeah....cars are always, always, always, always going to fare better in a crash.

They're easier to drive, too. I never needed an instructor and a buddy box to learn how to pilot my first nitro car...

By the way, braking is a good way to avoid breaking things.
most of my planes are electric and made out of hybrid foam and repairs easy with a bottle of CA glue. i have one nitro warbird made of wood, now thats a whole diffrent ball game when it crashes. i have 2 stadium trucks thats been collecting dust for a couple years since i got into electric planes. awesome fun ! and cheaper than you mite think, i have a Multiplex Fun Jet 80-90mph very stable, Multiplex Mini Mag with Floats Tower Hobiies P-51, 100 bucks with all electrics installed and its a blast.. try it you'll be glad you did but still in the poor house.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
takeit69
My Feedback: (20)

In a way your dads right about saying money I wish my dad talked too me about it and helped me understand, but you have to have some thing to relax and blow off steam and makes ya feel good, and this hobby does just that,look into anther brand of rc cars, sell your stuff and get something else
Old 04-24-2011, 05:39 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

i was about to give up on this hobby too because of my dad. he doesn't let me buy things for it because he thinks im wasting money. its my own money. its like he controls it.......but i keep trying to tell him its my money........it sucks.
think about what your dad is saying, he has the wisdom to tell when something isn't working out. I'm not saying you have to quit the hobby but try saving up for a while then choose a rc that you know would give you the least trouble.

well im not using all my money. i mean i still have a ton of money. its not only rc, its for other things too that he tries to convince me not to do.

Why would your father try to influence your thinking? Could it be that he cares about you and your future? I think so.

Remember, he has been your age before and he knows how the hormones can manifest themselves in one your age.

What is it that you are trying to feel by being involved in R/C? Chances are great those same feelings can be had in less expensive and more productive ways. The same exact feelings. The problem is, at the moment, you do not know where to find those same feelings. Maybe Dad can help you with that. I'll bet he can. Listen to what he says and ignore how he says it.

Ed Cregger
actually, i think i should have mentioned this before. i have a separate place i put money for my application developing business. about $300 a year. the rest of the money, i have for myself. then, as i get my monthly payment from those apps, i put 50% towards the company, and 50% for myself. if im running low on business money because i didn't accumulate as much i will give up the money i have for myself and put it towards the company. im managing my money, but he doesn't like it when i spend the money i keep for myself which i find odd.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi Guys. I am a Dad. First a hobby is a great thing no matter what it is with in reason. May be you should be a little more carefull with the cars and trucks. Nothing is indestructable and if you exceed the design limits it is going to get damaged. Also for all you guys that your dad is complaining about the money you spend, tactfully ask your dad to think of what you could be spending your money on and spending your time doing if it weren't for the hobby. There are a lot worse things out there than this great hobby.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 AM

most of my planes are electric and made out of hybrid foam and repairs easy with a bottle of CA glue. i have one nitro warbird made of wood, now thats a whole diffrent ball game when it crashes. i have 2 stadium trucks thats been collecting dust for a couple years since i got into electric planes. awesome fun ! and cheaper than you mite think, i have a Multiplex Fun Jet 80-90mph very stable, Multiplex Mini Mag with Floats Tower Hobiies P-51, 100 bucks with all electrics installed and its a blast.. try it you'll be glad you did but still in the poor house.
If it doesn't make Greenpeace crawl in their skin and if operating it near a graveyard doesn't start a zombie apocalypse I probably don't have interest in it...and if I do it's literally small enough to run indoors.

I jumped to nitro cars because I was fed up with "Drive for 10 minutes, charge for an hour, drive for 10, charge for 60". But that's precisely where I'd end back up if I got an electric foamy. So they do not in any way appeal to me. Now, if you were to pull the electric motor and speed controller out, chuck 'em in the bin, and put a Cox motor on the front in their place, you'd have my interest! I could have it back in the air within 45 seconds of it deadsticking after running the tank dry, and any of my larger birds are also going to be glow for the same reason. Land, fill tank back up, glow ignitor on, plane's back in the air before the engine has a chance to cool off...though I don't intend on landing any of them deadstick if I can get away with it. Maybe running on fumes, but still running.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: THERCAV8R

Hi Guys. I am a Dad. First a hobby is a great thing no matter what it is with in reason. May be you should be a little more carefull with the cars and trucks. Nothing is indestructable and if you exceed the design limits it is going to get damaged. Also for all you guys that your dad is complaining about the money you spend, tactfully ask your dad to think of what you could be spending your money on and spending you time doing if it weren't for the hobby. There are a lot worse things out there than this great hobby.
like video games........to rot my brain

and the thing where two people get together and........

Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 AM

But video games are great practice for driving RC!

Well, they are if you use stick radios and a 360 controller for the racing games. Which I tend to do.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

The reason I got into this was for some relaxation and now all it does is piss me off. Man this really sucks. And ya, my dad is constantly telling me that I need to stop spending so much money. I really just wanna sell all this trash. My dad even wants me to read this book about like saving money and how the richest of the richest became rich.
Your dad is right. There's so much Chinese junk on the market, nothing lasts like it used to. I'm an RC pilot and anything bought as an ARF needs to be reinforced otherwise it comes apart. There's no QC anymore especially from the Chinese. They Just spit on the part and hoping it will fuse itself. Importers should spend more time inspecting what they import, less time counting their profits. Where's the pride of our North American Governments. Job loses to make the CEOs richer.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 AM
jaav

I have to admit I have a few cars in the shed. My old faithful Kyosho buggy its about 18-20 years old still runs but cant get rims or chain sprokets for her, 2x 10 size cars and a few electrics. I gave them to my sons they lost intrest as the engines stopped all the time, The pindan dirt here destroys every thing. They now fly planks....
Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 AM
jeeper91

If you are spending more than you are saving you are doomed for failure in your 60's. As much as the government wants you to rely on them, trust me they won't be there for you when you need them most. I'm 34 and according to my last Soc. Sec. statement I will only get 70% of the $1200 per month when I retire. That's $840.00 per month. In order to be above poverty level when I hit retirement age I need to have $1million in the bank drawing interest. At the current rate that will only yield me 30 to 35 thousand per year. I make around 35 thou. per year now and I never want to get below that.

So have fun with the hobby, but if you are spending more than you are saving, put it away and come back another day.

We know you won't head this advice, but "I told you so" is the only words you'll hear later in life.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

It's not the hobby, it's your product. I've been a car guy for years and I have lusted after a Jaguar for most of that time. I got one...........it sucked! I'm not exaggerating, for every hour of operation I spent ten hours of working on it. That's neither fun nor cheap. After two years I literally gave the car away for a tenth of what I had invested in it and considered it a good deal. While I still love cars, I will avoid Jaguars like the plague.

Al
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 AM
drod2446

REMEMBER THIS IS A HOBBY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT. YOU CAN TAKE UP COLLECTING ROCKS. THERES TONS OF THEM OUT THERE, IT DOES NOT COST ANYTHING AND IF THEY BREAK YOU JUST ADDED MORE TO YOUR PILE.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
rc18junky

For me the on road cars seem to hold up the best as long as you don't hit something hard they for the most part wont brake. Now if you like off road and jumping well your going to brake things. The only off road i have is a Brushless Slash and in the last 2 years i broke 1 caster hub and two spur gears i switched to 1/8 buggy tires and the tire problem went away. i do no big jumping with it also

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.