Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM
cooldriver385

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Ugh...this hobby is now just doing nothing but stealing my money and pissing me off. Today I've YET AGAIN broken another part on my Stampede only after a day of it being fixed. Constantly, spur gear, servo saver, out yoke, half shaft, stub axle, repeting over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Mini Revo? It keeps stripping a rear diff. Man why does this hobby have to suck for me?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Im Seriously On the Verge of Losing This Hobby

Time to step away from Traxxas.....

Just joking, Crappy luck.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:23 PM
electricrc68
Banned

i was about to give up on this hobby too because of my dad. he doesn't let me buy things for it because he thinks im wasting money. its my own money. its like he controls it.......but i keep trying to tell him its my money........it sucks.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Time to step away from Traxxas.....

Just joking, Crappy luck.
That's what i'm thinking too, now my tranny is F'd

Old 04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
cooldriver385

The reason I got into this was for some relaxation and now all it does is piss me off. Man this really sucks. And ya, my dad is constantly telling me that I need to stop spending so much money. I really just wanna sell all this trash. My dad even wants me to read this book about like saving money and how the richest of the richest became rich.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

The reason I got into this was for some relaxation and now all it does is piss me off. Man this really sucks. And ya, my dad is constantly telling me that I need to stop spending so much money. I really just wanna sell all this trash. My dad even wants me to read this book about like saving money and how the richest of the richest became rich.
haha this hobby is pretty expensive though. I started for the same reason too, but honstally I really don't find it too relaxing all the time eather. Unless it works with out breaking

Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

omg your dad is EXACTLY like mine. he wants me to do the same thing. and i keep telling him its my money, what does he care?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:51 PM
misasi

1) quit the hobby or 2) buy a better quality truck that doesn't break. If the truck you buy advertises top speed on the box then its junk imho
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Haddi Taha

this is what I would do (and i did). Take a break from the hobby and save as much of your pocket money as you can., (2-4months+) by then you will have enough pocket to get another RC that is known for durability, yes it will cost you more than your cars you have now but you will forget the price and enjoy driving more and fixing less.
A good 1/8 buggy/truggy (a name brand 1/8 buggy ones is usually around $400) is a good choice. There are some good MT's out there too. You don't have to buy tekin esc's and stuff like that just something that is durable and works well (Castle/Ezrun). Remember also to care more for your cars.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

i was about to give up on this hobby too because of my dad. he doesn't let me buy things for it because he thinks im wasting money. its my own money. its like he controls it.......but i keep trying to tell him its my money........it sucks.
think about what your dad is saying, he has the wisdom to tell when something isn't working out. I'm not saying you have to quit the hobby but try saving up for a while then choose a rc that you know would give you the least trouble.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM
The_Shark

sell what you have and get a ofna lxone or hyper 7

they look complex, but are the most durable things around, i have flipped, smashed and jumped mine so many times and broke but $10 worth of stuff in 3 years. ofna engines are also tough and easy to tune, set and forget untill its + or - 30F and then a 1/6 turn and your done

anything below a 1/8 scale or a monster truck is bound to break. make the switch and you WILL enjoy the hobby again.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:06 PM
sloppyG

your Dad's smart

if you're spending something like half of your cash flow on RC, that's not a good idea

save for college, save for a car/house, but spending every dollar you find will leave you eventually eating dogfood in a cardboard box
Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

think about what your dad is saying, he has the wisdom to tell when something isn't working out. I'm not saying you have to quit the hobby but try saving up for a while then choose a rc that you know would give you the least trouble.

well im not using all my money. i mean i still have a ton of money. its not only rc, its for other things too that he tries to convince me not to do.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

well im not using all my money. i mean i still have a ton of money. its not only rc, its for other things too that he tries to convince me not to do.

i spent more money this year than what ive ever spent in my life!
TV conked out, replaced it with plazma, needed a laptop for school- got my netbook, had a itch to buy that bass i was eyeing, now its before my eyes, buy a t-maxx off a buddy, got engine work done(for fun) now paint, just got done buying a gun and reload equipment.

this was a BAD BAD BAD year, i have to save to move to Australia, and i cant be spending like this! trust me, all that shimmers is not gold, a fat wallet feels better than a rc controller!

buy and use only one car at a time, this will limit your spending.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
electricrc68
Banned

im thinking of only having 2 or 3 at a time.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM
The_Shark

im thinking of only having 2 or 3 at a time.
1 or 2
Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 PM
electricrc68
Banned

not 3? whats wrong with 3?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
cumquat

what you do is look at all the after market for the rc you want. if its a brand known to be good and that model has been out for a little while and seem to be selling alright but has little or no aftermarket other than performance parts (heat sinks, cvd, carbon fiber/graphite, etc.) then you know that says something about the stock durability. you dont see a whole lot of rpm parts for the savage, t4/b4, ofna lines, duratrax, etc. but you can pretty much make a stampede with rpm parts.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:11 PM
moe7404

NO BODY MAKES A RC THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE. take it easy on them.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If everything worked the way it should, it would be a sport, or a pastime. Having things break and fixing them, modifying them, and enjoying the frustration knowing that statisfaction will be the end result, makes it a hobby.

If you really enjoy RC, your problems will be insignificant, although part of the process in satisfying what one truly craves from any hobby.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If you're getting frustrated by a toy car, this hobby is not for you.

not 3? whats wrong with 3?
3 becomes 4.
4 becomes 5.

5 skips 6 and becomes 7.

7 skips 8, 9, 10 and a few others to become 19.

19 becomes "uhh, it's been a while since I've counted"

ThunderbirdJunkie didn't have more than 3 cars until he moved out of his parents house. You need to learn to support yourself before you're on your own, and while this hobby is great for teaching somebody to budget their money, it's also good for sucking any extra money you have if you suffer from the gottahavits.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

3 is a good number i have 9 rc vehicles 3x3 its a good math strategy this way when one is down i have others to play with untill i have the money to fix the broken one however do not go out and buy all at once i acquired mine over a few years and if i get bored with one i sell it and buy something else the vehicles i have now i dont think i could ever bring myself to sell they are quite reliable and perform very well given the choice i would recomend an xtm xt2 with different servos and a different radio right out of the box mine has only broken because of abuse and bad electronics
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Your dads sound like smart men. I started spending money on R/C soon after high school and my dad always stressed how important it was to save money. I wish I would have listened to him because I'd be on easy street right now instead of slaving away at work all day. I blew a lot of money on R/C and other hobbies instead of concentrating on earning and saving money.

I think hes telling you to save because hes been there, he knows what can happen. You dont want to end up with an awesome R/C collection and living with your parents at age 40.....believe me, I know many who are like that now.

I eventually got around to saving in my 30's, bought a house, got married and had kids. I have spent around 12 Thousand dollars in my lifetime on just R/C alone, not to mention other hobbies I have. I'm not saying to give up on R/C altogether, Im just saying to listen to what he's telling you and really think about it. There will always be time for RC later in life and you will find you have more disposable money to buy better R/C cars and trucks later on. Bottom line, if your frustrated now after breaking a few insignifican parts, this hobby isnt for you. You might want to think about leaving the trucks behind and getting into R/C sailboating instead, Ive never broken a part on my sailboat, well except for the time I accidentally stepped on it.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

"The older I get, the smarter my dad gets".

That's an old saying that ThunderbirdJunkie continually finds to be true.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 PM
jaav

My wife says the same with my flying planks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.