Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stuck between 2 Traxxas vehicles....

Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
gtpdaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck between 2 Traxxas vehicles....

I want a new rc vehicle and ive got it down to 2.... both being Traxxas.... one the Nitro Rustler 2.5 and the other being the Jato 3.3. Im just looking to have fun and mess around over by my sons school withit. No formal racing or anything like that. Just something to get out and relaxe with and have fun.Im leaning more towards the Rustler ... as in videos and what ive read... has better traction and handles better... as the Jato is just over powered. Now if the Jato was 4x4 I wouldnt have an issue deciding. Any info or your personal use of any of these 2 woulld be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

I like the look of the Jato more.... and was thinking of just switching the engine with a 2.5 but that just seems like a huge waste of $$ to me to do that.

my local hobby shop carries both of these and I would like to support them as there are not many around these days. They dont have many rc cars... so I would like to stick with these 2. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Hack u 2

Default RE: Stuck between 2 Traxxas vehicles....

I have driven both. Both have features and benifits from the other. You can limit the power of the Jato with the traxxas controler setting..I think it's like a training mode or something like that..The Jato is fun for presentation to crowds..everyone thinks this is a rocket...where the Rustler would be fun on the bike jumps/dirt mounds...The Jato can do it too but wheel spin is unbelievable. You are keeping the hobby alive by going to your local store... I vote rustler!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The JATO will be absolutely useless if you don't want to run it on pavement all the time, and at the speeds those things get up to you're bound to completely annihilate it if you screw up the driving or hit a pebble just right.

I vote Rusty. May be slower but it will last longer and you can use it off road right out of the box.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote JATO IF you're willing to modify it for off road use. In it's stock state it's only good on pavement (and good pavement at that). However, with the right modifications and driver skill I've seen JATOs do great things off road.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
gtpdaddy

thanks big time guys!!! This just backs me up on my thoughts and my idea that the Rustler will be the better all around choice.... or I can make the wife mad and get both! LOL. Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

The rustler would be the more sensible choice- not a lot of weight saving and durable. The jato seems too nimble to bash tbh.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM
airbrushNC
My Feedback: (9)

The Rusty!!!!! tough do all machine.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

XXX-NT Adam Drake 2.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 AM
lez1troubles

Make the wife go mad, I dare you.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

The jato for sure. Something about that rustler that turns me off. Anything but a rustler.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM
moe7404

i have 2 jatos, 1 stock, 1 many mods. the ONLY mod you MUST make on a Jato. is dual breaks, and spend time making adjustments.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Think about where you are going to be running it most. If its mostly going to be pavement and you want high speed go with the Jato. If its dirt go with the Rustler.

I was seriously looking at the Jato a few months ago but decided that since I mostly run on dirt it would be a waste of money. And 378 is right. The slightest bump in the road will send it flying.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
gtpdaddy

Thanks for all the replys guys! Well... its done... I got the Rustler Nitro... should be in my hands in a few days. My son showed some interest at the LHS so I am going to order him his first RC... a RedCat Tornado. I know its not the best but for his first RC it will be just fine! Cant wait! Thanks again guys!! And the wife isnt made.... yet. LMAO!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 PM
s7jstep1

right on getting your son involved. you guys will have a lot of fun
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Chucksolo69

Glad to see you got the Nitro Rustler. I had one about 6 years ago. The model was really fun and wickedly fast. Be advised though, your Rustler is going to get dirty, filthy dirty. Make sure you clean it after every running session with a good nitro cleaning product. At one time, I had the aforementioned Nitro Ruster, a T-Maxx and a Nitro 4-Tec. I tried not to run them all in the same day, why? Because If I did, I would spend 3-4 hours just cleaning them. Aside from that, my Traxxas nitro cars were great fun.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JATO 3.3 hand down! Slap some dirt hawg tires on it and you'll be fine running in the park on grass/dirt, that's what I did with mine, i don't think I ever drove it on the street but a few times. Put the anacondas back on if you want to do some street running. My .02 cents opinion
Old 05-03-2011, 09:19 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: gtpdaddy

Thanks for all the replys guys! Well... its done... I got the Rustler Nitro... should be in my hands in a few days. My son showed some interest at the LHS so I am going to order him his first RC... a RedCat Tornado. I know its not the best but for his first RC it will be just fine! Cant wait! Thanks again guys!! And the wife isnt made.... yet. LMAO!!!
A Traxxas Stampede is a great starter truck and very durable. Just an option if you don;t buy the redcat.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
nitroholic

Well i have a jato 3.3 and the one person wrote something about hitting a pebble???? Huh.My back yard is 2 acres of small mounds and flats short grass after cutting,i have a freakin field day with mine.Traction with the stock tires on grass suck,victorty tires bite,go with those if you choose jato.Another thing,remember i own this!!!! It reads 65+ on the box,well it should read maybe 50 top speed.Mine is geared alot different where i could get closer to 70mpr.So what the box reads is false i don't care what anyone else says.Just get the one you most want,you can always get a second used one for the one you didn't buy new.Then you have both.Yeah the hobby shop where i'm at is really hurting too.I feel bad for them,they're really nice people.It's a risky bussinus to try and suceed at.Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM
moe7404

r/c cars are like 1:1 cars, each brand has good points and not so good points
Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
cdmoore74

ORIGINAL: gtpdaddy

Itoo got a redcat tornado for my son. Since this was my first experience with Nitro Ialmost gave up. After the first break-in tank my one way bearing (OWB) got fouled and everything went down hill quick. Ithought Ihad a defective pull start (cord would not retract) so Itried taking it apart and Ibasically destoyed it. Then Ihad the smart idea of starting the engine with a power drill with a 12mm socket on the owb shaft and Icracked the OWB wedging a broken roller pin between the connecting rod and block. After taking the engine apart and seeing broken parts I thought Iscrewed my son's birthday present. So Iordered a new one way bearing and a roto start and Iwas able to get her back running after 4 days of downtime. But today during some high speed runs Iended up hitting a curb cracking my fuel tank (don't try to use epoxy on a nitro fuel tank, the nitro fuel just softens the epoxy). Iused a very hot soldering iron to melt the plastic covering the crack. All this in only 3 days of use. I spent other days waiting for parts.

You can say Ihad a nightmare but it's been a real learning experience. Iwas cursing myself for not getting electric but I'm glad Istarted with a cheaper model first. I full pretty comfortabe with the terminolgy and have had this car apart 2 times today fixing the fuel tank. All of the problems were caused by me but getting parts for this car locally is impossible. That's my only negative with redcat so far, everything is bought online. A fuel tank only cost $6 but I will have to wait about 4 days for it to be shipped off ebay. It would be nice to walk into a store and come back home the sameday with part in hand. Also Ilearned that fast is not always better. The tornado is a very fast and powerful car and it's a great value if you don't constantly break it. For my own car I want to be able to walk into a hobby store and find the part I'm looking for. The brand that has the most coverage is Traxxas but something is making me lean towards hpi.

P.S.

Redcats manual has the High speed and Low Speed swapped in the picture which was partly to blame for my initial turning issues. Big needle is High and small needle on side of carb is low.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: cdmoore74

It would be nice to walk into a store and come back home the sameday with part in hand...
Very much agreed. I can get any part locally for my Slash 4x4 and 120 SR, but I have to order online or by phone for my 5B, 8ight and Raptor. I hate it. And thats even with 4 LHSs in my area.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Your LHS doesn't stock Baja and 8ight parts? WTH?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I know! The closest LHSonly sells Traxxas,Associated and very limited Losi parts and he alsotried to kill my 8ight. When I bought it, he gave me REALLY bad info on breaking it in (my first nitro) that would have killed the engine quick and he also grabbed it out of my hands and completely leaned out the HSN and LSN (I changed it and it never ran this way). I'm guessing so Iwould have to come back and buy a new engine.

The next LHSis owned by anidiot who only sells Heliparts but convenientlywon't stock Raptor parts.He's convinced that stationary models and train sets are more popular than RC cars and refuses to sells them

The 3rd LHS sells lots of plane and Heli stuff (very limitedRaptor parts) and very limited Traxxas parts.

The 4th and final LHS sells TONSof Traxxas parts andVERY basic parts of everything else (except Baja parts and anything for the 8ight 2.0).

Luckily, I have a 5th Hobby Shop about 3 hours away that will ship me anything for anything with free next day shipping so it all works out. If you are ever near a Twisted RC, stop in, they literally have EVERYTHING in stock always. Even some parts for Redcat, Exceed, Kyosho etc...

Old 05-08-2011, 01:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

I know! The closest LHS only sells Traxxas, Associated and very limited Losi parts and he also tried to kill my 8ight. When I bought it, he gave me REALLY bad info on breaking it in (my first nitro) that would have killed the engine quick and he also grabbed it out of my hands and completely leaned out the HSN and LSN (I changed it and it never ran this way). I'm guessing so I would have to come back and buy a new engine.

The next LHS is owned by an idiot who only sells Heli parts but conveniently won't stock Raptor parts. He's convinced that stationary models and train sets are more popular than RC cars and refuses to sells them

The 3rd LHS sells lots of plane and Heli stuff (very limited Raptor parts) and very limited Traxxas parts.

The 4th and final LHS sells TONS of Traxxas parts and VERY basic parts of everything else (except Baja parts and anything for the 8ight 2.0).

Luckily, I have a 5th Hobby Shop about 3 hours away that will ship me anything for anything with free next day shipping so it all works out. If you are ever near a Twisted RC, stop in, they literally have EVERYTHING in stock always. Even some parts for Redcat, Exceed, Kyosho etc...

lol 2 & 3 sound like a hobby shop near me. They sell the stampede, and I think a firestorm. That is all the selection for on-road. They don't even stock the parts for them. They have a shoe box (seriously I think its a size 12) of assorted RC car parts. 1st nitro they gave me VERY bad advice, and after talking to the owner he really don't care about on-road RC's (but oddly holds races which confuses me) Out side the shoebox, single stampede, and HPI everything else is airplanes. Think he has 1-2 helicopters too.

Another hobby shop only RC's they sell are Tamiyas, BUT stock no parts for the tamiyas... But in their defense they seem to be more of a older fashioned model shop.

Then the one I go to for bodies stocks parts for a good chunk of the market. OFNA, associated, losi, HPI(you can build 1-2 savages from spare parts alone), and traxxas. They also have a decent selection of airplanes, heli's, and boats(they also have a huge train, and static model section). They seem to favor ground based RC's too. The basement has a 1/32nd scale track, and bodies for almost anything you can think of. Only downside is they seemed to cut back on their stock some in the past year or so