Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

weedeater vs nitro

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
g i joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weedeater vs nitro

which is better a weedeater motor or nitro motor? i dont mean in terms of noise or speed iam talking of fun and relliabilty. me personally my vote is nitro. what about you guys?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: weedeater vs nitro

motors aren't very much fun on their own
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas > nitro
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
aftermarket
My Feedback: (2)

I assume you mean something like the Baja 5b vs say a revo? I like the weedeaters for better durability and larger scaled size. Cheaper fuel, too.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All internal combustion engines are fun, but I did buy a Baja 5B, and it gets hardly any use. It's basically set it and forget it and thus I miss that huge part of the hobby....tweaking the nitro engine.

So I like nitro better as I enjoy break-in, then rough tuning, then performance tweaking, then troubleshooting, etc. Darn weedeater engines are just to boring.

But I did have fun dong some mods to my Baja. Swapped out the cylinder and piston to a 28.5 cc package from a 23cc one. And I guess if I wanted to, there are endless engine projects with a gas engine, from adding reeds, swapping carbs, changing stroke, etc. But still, once it's done, that's it. My nitros on the other hand need constant TLC, which I find fun.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 PM
g i joe

you know what i mean SLOPPY! argess pls explain it to him in sloppy lingoand kaiser in english please
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Argess

He knows; he's just teasing you.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

For fun and reliability I say the gas is better than the nitro.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say it's a tossup. I've has some reliable and unreliable examples of both. I will say my OS glow engine beats the hell out of any weedwhacker motor you'll find for under 150 bucks as far as reliability. I have to adjust my weed eater pretty much every time I start it, but my touring car about twice a year. It's nice.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:40 PM
MadManAndrew

Gas. More driving, less tinkering.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer gas. I loved my 5B. I just put gas in it and drove it! Only thing is they are so huge and you have to have a big ass place to drive it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Most fun. Screw both of the above.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
lez1troubles

Yamaha RD350YPVS, used to have one of those, sold it and bought a RD500, sold that and bought a Suzuki GSXR750, sold that and currently own KTM525SX and Ducati 996.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Foxy

There is simply no comparison...

Lets just look at the basics...

A good nitro engine you might get 20 gallons through before it suffers a catastrophic failure if its a really good one and you look after it well. A gas engine will go for hundreds of gallons even if you abuse it like a red-headed stepchild.
You get 15 mins max from a tank on a nitro. 40 mins minimum from a gasser.
You need to maintain a nitro engine after use (after run oil, etc), you don't have to maintain a gas engine at all.
You need to tune nitros when the temp changes, you rarely have to do this with a gasser (I realise this is contrary to 378's statement above, but I have never heard of a gas engine needing constant tuning. 378, your carb must have a problem or you have a leaky gasket or something.
You have to be careful with nitro engines, not run them WoT too long, not let them get too hot. You can run a gasser at WoT forever and it will never overheat (unless you rae tragically bad at tuning).
Gas engines are cake to tune.
You don't have to break in a gas engine (though its just good sense to take it easy for the first half a tank).

Really though, the bottom line is 'no glo igniter, no plugs, no starter boxes, no preparation, no maintenance'. You take your gas car out of the trunk, you put it on the ground, prime and go. When you've finished, you throw it back in the trunk, full gas tank or not, it doesn't matter.

There are 2 'cons' of gas engines, 1, the fuel mixing (mixing with 2 stroke oil). But you don't do that often if you mix a big batch each time, and 2, the noise; they are quite a bit louder than nitros.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Isn't it funny that some people try to use logic to dictate what's "fun" with people that, regardless of power source (electric, nitro, gas), spend thousands of dollars on TOY CARS?

What kind of IDIOT would even consider applying LOGIC to such a thing? Seriously. We're (mostly) GROWN MEN that play with TOY CARS and you're trying to apply LOGIC?

It's long been said that those who try to justify their actions are the ones that feel their actions are unjustifiable.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Foxy
(I realise this is contrary to 378's statement above, but I have never heard of a gas engine needing constant tuning. 378, your carb must have a problem or you have a leaky gasket or something.
It's a crappy 110 dollar walmart weed whacker. I never expected it to run very well.

Really as long as I keep 1/4 throttle in it it will run fine, and it does cut grass. Just doesn't idle worth a damn(30 seconds = stall, 15 seconds = bog then stall, and neither needle has any effect on this) and it won't transition to save it's life. It never has, ran that way right out of the box. I'm just too stubborn to leave it at that, I keep trying to get it to idle and transition decently. I'll probably end up getting frustrated, tape the throttle down full blast, run it 'till it explodes, then splurge on one of those four-stroke Ryobis.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Isn't it funny that some people try to use logic to dictate what's ''fun'' with people that, regardless of power source (electric, nitro, gas), spend thousands of dollars on TOY CARS?

What kind of IDIOT would even consider applying LOGIC to such a thing? Seriously. We're (mostly) GROWN MEN that play with TOY CARS and you're trying to apply LOGIC?

It's long been said that those who try to justify their actions are the ones that feel their actions are unjustifiable.
I lol'd
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 AM
Foxy

Indeed, what I find 'fun' at any given moment is driven by fickle desires. I have 4 gassers 1 electric and currently 1 nitro (a mugen mbx5t prospec truggy), but I am about to lay out $1500 on a new 1/10th nitro TC setup cos I miss racing 1/10th on road nitro. I'll probably go back to the gassers again one day, but for now I want 40k rpm, 0-60 in 3 secs and unnaturally fast cornering on the limit of what my reflexes will allow me to accomplish.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:26 AM
TIGER76

GAS>NITRO

Less tuning with a gasser better sound better smell cant be beat
Never had anyone call my baja a toy car while out running either
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You never have to adjust gassers... I think I tuned my 5b twice, during the entire time I owned it. With nitro, you have to adjust the thing every time you change the plug, or the humidity changes, or you use a different fuel, or the stars aren't aligned. Not saying either one is better or worse, they are just different.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: proanti1

You never have to adjust gassers... I think I tuned my 5b twice, during the entire time I owned it. With nitro, you have to adjust the thing every time you change the plug, or the humidity changes, or you use a different fuel, or the stars aren't aligned. Not saying either one is better or worse, they are just different.
Yes, I agree. And the differences might make one more suitable than the other dependant on what you want. Back to personal choice, which can be different from one hobbiest to the next.

TBJ makes a good point along the same lines (or reading between them) but Argess thinks TBJ has become a tad cantankerous as of late and not his usual jovial third-person self.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: Foxy
(I realise this is contrary to 378's statement above, but I have never heard of a gas engine needing constant tuning. 378, your carb must have a problem or you have a leaky gasket or something.
It's a crappy 110 dollar walmart weed whacker. I never expected it to run very well.

Really as long as I keep 1/4 throttle in it it will run fine, and it does cut grass. Just doesn't idle worth a damn(30 seconds = stall, 15 seconds = bog then stall, and neither needle has any effect on this) and it won't transition to save it's life. It never has, ran that way right out of the box. I'm just too stubborn to leave it at that, I keep trying to get it to idle and transition decently. I'll probably end up getting frustrated, tape the throttle down full blast, run it 'till it explodes, then splurge on one of those four-stroke Ryobis.

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Isn't it funny that some people try to use logic to dictate what's ''fun'' with people that, regardless of power source (electric, nitro, gas), spend thousands of dollars on TOY CARS?

I lol'd

I always thought that the engine and carb on model rc's was a bit more refined than what you get in your less expensive weedeaters. IDK, I could be wrong but that's the impression I've had.
My old 2 cycle weedeater died this season and I've just gotten a 4 cycle weedeater. A Craftsman that I got at a Sears outlet for less than some cheap 2 cycles. It's a totally different operating experience. Having used 2 cycles for almost 15 years for work the different charicteristics of the 4 cycle is taking some getting used to. Throttle response is much different, as is top rpm and the power band/cutting ability across the entire range. With the 2 cycles I could easily feather the throttle no vary the cutting force around delicate plants. The 4 cycle has a far less responsive throttle and a lower rpm range but does seem to have a better cutting ability at full throtle.

TBJ, that sir, was very well said!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Argess

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
Well, not really. Although I agree with him, there's no need to get into name calling. I hope he's feeling OK.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: Argess

Well, not really. Although I agree with him, there's no need to get into name calling. I hope he's feeling OK.
Don't wory argess, TBJ has never been exactly 'ok', much as we all love him. :P

Also, if I thought he was actually referring to someone in the topic I would have deleted or edited the post. I think he was speaking generally.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Argess

LOL, yep, he's a character. I didn't take it personally anyway.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Argess

By "idiots" ThunderbirdJunkie means the people in general that cannot accept the fact that some others might simply enjoy something that they don't. ThunderbirdJunkie was not referencing anybody in this thread, as it's remained civil, but there is bound to be one of those goons that will inevitably pipe up and say MY FORM OF FUN IS THE ONLY RELEVANT FORM OF TOY CAR FUN THAT CAN BE HAD EVERYBODY ELSE IS WRONG, which always happens in these threads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.