Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hey I'm new! Whats a good RC to start with?

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Ok, I am looking at the current RCCA and I see three ads for Traxxas. five ads for AE, and 4 for Proline, and a ton of ones and twosies for companies ranging from Hobbyking to Tower Hobbies. If that indicates that RCCA is biased towards Traxxas, I can honestly say you are sorely mistaken.Magazines don't make money on news stand purchases or subscriptions, they get it from ADVERTISING, period. All magazines do this.
Explain the enormous Traxxas Slash foldout poster that was stapled between a full page spread including every model Traxxas has to offer in the July 2011 issue I bought.

I'm waiting...

Here is a question for you ''experts.'' All you dedicated racers out there. What would you think if some noob showed up at a local race track and brought a stock Electrix Ruckus truck wanting to race it?
I'd wish him better luck than I was having and perhaps help him tune the car if he wanted.

I'll bet most of the ''experts'' here would laugh. That's what I mean about forum bias.

Except that isn't forum bias. That's just being a brand snob.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Ok, I am looking at the current RCCA and I see three ads for Traxxas. five ads for AE, and 4 for Proline, and a ton of ones and twosies for companies ranging from Hobbyking to Tower Hobbies. If that indicates that RCCA is biased towards Traxxas, I can honestly say you are sorely mistaken.Magazines don't make money on news stand purchases or subscriptions, they get it from ADVERTISING, period. All magazines do this. It doesn't mean they are biased toward any product. Here is a question for you ''experts.'' All you dedicated racers out there. What would you think if some noob showed up at a local race track and brought a stock Electrix Ruckus truck wanting to race it? I'll bet most of the ''experts'' here would laugh. That's what I mean about forum bias.
I wouldn't if it fit in a class
Hell if I lived near a track I'd take my tamiya Hornet to race for fun
Saw a video awhile back of a brushed grasshopper beating a savage flux on a track.

But still that is one magazine, how many in prior, and how big are the ads. Also how many "new"* Traxxas RC's do they get 1st to test and write up or exclusives on the new crap?

BTW an excellent example of having to kiss manufacturers asses one Tech news site I read gave one of Apples iSomethings (forgot what it was) a bad review. They were BANNED from all Apple press releases, and other Apple invitation only events for not retracting the story. So they gave an honest opinion and were banned permanently. Another example of bias Gamefaqs got busted for playing favorites a few years back for giving certain games 9's where they deserved 5's at best due to companies threatening to pull advertising revenue. I'll be honest I find this true with most places like I said even HERE the reviews by the staff are biased to high hell. Watch the test footage, and read the reviews they do not match up.

So yes some is from ad revenue some bonus points are to kiss the ass of them to get the new stuff 1st.

* I say new cause recently Traxxas's idea of a new RC is slap a diff shell and tires on the same exact chassis with a diff name.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am looking at the current RCCA and I see three ads for Traxxas. five ads for AE, and 4 for Proline, and a ton of ones and twosies for companies ranging from Hobbyking to Tower Hobbies. If that indicates that RCCA is biased towards Traxxas, I can honestly say you are sorely mistaken.Magazines don't make money on news stand purchases or subscriptions, they get it from ADVERTISING, period. All magazines do this. It doesn't mean they are biased toward any product. Here is a question for you ''experts.'' All you dedicated racers out there. What would you think if some noob showed up at a local race track and brought a stock Electrix Ruckus truck wanting to race it? I'll bet most of the ''experts'' here would laugh. That's what I mean about forum bias.
they probably would be laughed at but not for what you think. the ruckus is a direct competitor of the stampede which is known to hav a high center of gravity. you could race them but unless you're one of the better drivers, you stand absolutely no chance. not even in novice.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You are missing the part that somebody that is on Traxxas' payroll is also on RCCA's payroll.

And no, ThunderbirdJunkie wouldn't laugh at any newbie that brought any low end RC to the track to race. If anything, ThunderbirdJunkie would dig out or cobble together something to run in the sportsman class with him and teach him the ropes of RC racing.

If you're so full of yourself that you project your personal actions on others, then shame on you, Chucksolo.
ORIGINAL: cumquat
they probably would be laughed at but not for what you think. the ruckus is a direct competitor of the stampede which is known to hav a high center of gravity. you could race them but unless you're one of the better drivers, you stand absolutely no chance. not even in novice.
Back in the day, Stampedes and Marui Big Bears and Sledgehammers and Blackfoots were raced at ThunderbirdJunkie's local track for the Sportsman class. It was a ****load of fun.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM
stoya789

BTW an excellent example of having to kiss manufacturers asses one Tech news site I read gave one of Apples iSomethings (forgot what it was) a bad review. They were BANNED from all Apple press releases, and other Apple invitation only events for not retracting the story. So they gave an honest opinion and were banned permanently. Another example of bias Gamefaqs got busted for playing favorites a few years back for giving certain games 9's where they deserved 5's at best due to companies threatening to pull advertising revenue. I'll be honest I find this true with most places like I said even HERE the reviews by the staff are biased to high hell. Watch the test footage, and read the reviews they do not match up.
That reminds me of when Jeff Gerstman, a long-time reviewer for Gamespot, was fired because he gave a certain game (kane & lynch) a bad (yet honest) review. The company that developed kane & lynch pulled all their advertising from the website, and shortly after Jeff was fired.

I was, however, happy to see him fired. He is the only reviewer that gave twilight princess an 8.8..... 8.8/10. The game deserved AT LEAST a 9.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Chucksolo69

Heck no, I never put my personal reactions to others, especially when it comes to laughing at someone. I posed the question because back in like 2001, I showed up at a local race with a Traxxas Street Sport sedan and was promptly laughed at by the other racers. I was brand new to the hobby and didn't know any better. That one incident soured me on racing forever. TBJ, I can honestly say, that someone being that magnanimous to a noob would definately earn my respect.[8D]
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: stoya789

That reminds me of when Jeff Gerstman, a long-time reviewer for Gamespot, was fired because he gave a certain game (kane & lynch) a bad (yet honest) review. The company that developed kane & lynch pulled all their advertising from the website, and shortly after Jeff was fired.

I was, however, happy to see him fired. He is the only reviewer that gave twilight princess an 8.8..... 8.8/10. The game deserved AT LEAST a 9.
you are right it was gamespot, I read that in gamefaqs forum when I was looking for info on a game, BUT you do see what will happen if they give poor reviews to items now right?

I won't say Traxxas is garbage, they are actually not bad, but the level of acclaim they are given IMO is a bit ridiculous. Now if we compare them to other brands for similar RC's, and price points why are they so much higher than the rest. Specially since most of their designs are a quite a few years old (look at the pede that suckers around 14years old), have not come down in price, or have had a major revision. BUT that is how I feel on the subject.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Heck no, I never put my personal reactions to others, especially when it comes to laughing at someone. I posed the question because back in like 2001, I showed up at a local race with a Traxxas Street Sport sedan and was promptly laughed at by the other racers. I was brand new to the hobby and didn't know any better. That one incident soured me on racing forever. TBJ, I can honestly say, that someone being that magnanimous to a noob would definately earn my respect.[8D]
Yeah, on road guys are generally (not always, but this is ThunderbirdJunkie's personal experience at several tracks) snobs. Off road guys are generally more easy going, and ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't know of any guys at his track that wouldn't at least help a newbie out...somebody that would make fun of a newbie for their choice of car would probably be taken behind the driver's stand and beaten with bent AM/FM antennae.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Heck no, I never put my personal reactions to others, especially when it comes to laughing at someone. I posed the question because back in like 2001, I showed up at a local race with a Traxxas Street Sport sedan and was promptly laughed at by the other racers. I was brand new to the hobby and didn't know any better. That one incident soured me on racing forever. TBJ, I can honestly say, that someone being that magnanimous to a noob would definately earn my respect.[8D]
Yeah, on road guys are generally (not always, but this is ThunderbirdJunkie's personal experience at several tracks) snobs. Off road guys are generally more easy going, and ThunderbirdJunkie doesn't know of any guys at his track that wouldn't at least help a newbie out...somebody that would make fun of a newbie for their choice of car would probably be taken behind the driver's stand and beaten with bent AM/FM antennae.
I even noticed that at the LHS the on-road racers are more how to say it driven by winning instead of having fun where off-roaders seem to be more driven by having a blast.
Well to be fair I've only met off-road bashers seeing the race tracks pretty damn far, but they do have a few on-road races not too far from me, and out of the 5 or so on-road only guys I met only 1 didn't race (he was also the only non stuck up one)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
stoya789

I don't own any on-road cars and never have. But if I did, it would be a nitro 4tec 3.3 with an aftermarket body, the stock body is... meh. Since the 4tec is a 4 wheel drive, maybe a pearl white 911turbo w/ blacked out 10-spoke wheels, or maybe an r8/gallardo, metallic black, w/ chrome 5-spoke wheels. Damn, now I want one.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

back in like 2001, I showed up at a local race with a Traxxas Street Sport sedan and was promptly laughed at by the other racers. I was brand new to the hobbyand didn't know any better.
I'm sorry to hear that happened, those people had absolutely no class, zero.I wouldwelcome anyone, even if they came in with a toys-r-us car that runs on 8 AA batteries. It's all about having fun with what you have. I've found that a big part of this hobby is socializing with others, meeting people and getting to know them. Making new friends is priceless, especially when they share the love of RC like you do. Too bad the people at your track didn't see the value in that, it's their loss so the hell with em.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 PM

I've got an on-road but I'm not a snob. [&:]
Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
ZeroKelvin
Banned

ORIGINAL: 378

you on-road guys are a different breed
Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ZeroKelvin

you on-road guys are a different breed [img][/img]
...Well to be entirely fair I don't exactly drive it on-road very often.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

lol I got an on-road think I've used it a total of 5 mins (just was testing it)
gotta find a nice paved area with no potholes(seriously pot holes by me will swallow a 1/10th whole) to give it a good run
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 PM
stoya789

One thing I have always wanted is a hovercraft. I have seen a couple, but they were cheap... too small and not a quality product. I always wondered how a hovercraft would handle... I have played a few video games where you drive a hovercraft (diddy kong racing) and if it's anything like that then it would be awesome. Imagine if somebody made a large 1/8 scale nitro hovercraft! Take that baby out on the water, snow, dirt, mud, you name it. Well maybe not tall grass... Imagine jumping a hovercraft off a ramp
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

had a old tyco hover craft many years ago those didn't perform very well, and its demise was when I took it to a lake. Yea the commercials lied sucker sank, and I had to dive in to retrieve it.

WISH I still had its parts though. Just imagine strapping in a modern BL setup on 3S, and how it would fly.

Hobbyking has a "hover jet" (can only go on pavement) I'd get one if it shipped from the USA, not interested in paying shipping (the cheap slow boat from china one) that cost almost as much as the product
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16606
few ppl I remember got it saying it was a blast though
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Hovercraft handle very poorly. they have absolutely no direction control whatsoever, and the best they can manage is wide, sweeping turns.

They're quite fun to play with
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
stoya789

Just imagine strapping in a modern BL setup on 3S, and how it would fly.
Yeah it would probly fly, like literally. lol, it would be funny. The hobbyking one is tiny, ~14" long is like what... 12th scale or something. Definitely needs to be bigger, like 24" long, at least. And more realistic too, example below.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Chucksolo69

I had a Tyco hover craft as well and in fact, my wife still has it in storage in its original box. Only ran it about 2 times. The sucker is brand new. She thinks it will be worth something someday. I got it back in 1995 so it is getting up there in age. As for on-road cars, I found that the best place to run them in is in a high school parking lot. I usually go up to my brother's house in Murietta, CA and their high school's parking lot is gigantic, no parking bumps either. It is so big that I can floor my Traxxas 1/16th models and get to see how fast they really go. I can't wait to take my Losi 10 T there this weekend and see how fast it will go on my DX3S radio screen.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ZeroKelvin

you on-road guys are a different breed [img][/img]
hehe, I may have a lot of off road cars, but I'm really an on-road guy. :P We are snobs cos we're better. End of.

edit: inb4 misunderstandings, of course I'm not serious. Not completely anyway {muttley laugh}
Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM
17dean

It all depends on if you about bashing or racing. Then it goes to if you will be on road or off road . Then you have to factor which power source you will use. Like electric or nitro. Me personally i have both on road and off road as well as nitro , brushless and brushed cars. I love this hobby !!!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Foxy

{muttley laugh}
Dammit, Foxy, ThunderbirdJunkie went how many years without thinking about that god awful character and now memories of Dirk Dastardly and the Space Race come rushing back.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM
mrbasshead305

Hi, check out my site http://rchotspot.blogspot.com it will be very helpful
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mrbasshead305

Hi, check out my site http://rchotspot.blogspot.com it will be very helpful
How would that site help him? Its just advertising for a crap-quality RC company.