Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How are R/C car tires made?

Looking for any links or articles demonstrating how they are made. From machining the molds to rubber compound injection.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: How are R/C car tires made?

very carefully.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

very carefully.
    Unless you're JConcepts, then you make them haphazardly, with no quality control, and reckless abandon[8D]
    \"Some people can mess up an anvil with a rubber hammer\" -46u
    If you don\'\'t allow yourself to fail, you\'\'ll never allow yourself to succeed-ThunderbirdJunkie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sounds like they could be fun then.[:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

very carefully.
    Unless you're JConcepts, then you make them haphazardly, with no quality control, and reckless abandon[8D]
    Tamiya and CEN make good tires too. The tires on my MT2 are the originals, have about three gallons on 'em, and they look brand new if you spit shine them. The rally tires I bought for the car are Tamiya's, and they're wonderful.

Also, neither tire needs a foam, so I need not worry about mud/snow/water offsetting wheel balance.
    My stash:
    1 rally modded NTC3, 1 HeliMax Axe CX Nano, 1 Hobbico NexSTAR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

they use a manufacturing plant with chimneys. then their machines make a ton of them a day.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 378

very carefully.
    Tamiya and CEN make good tires too. The tires on my MT2 are the originals, have about three gallons on 'em, and they look brand new if you spit shine them. The rally tires I bought for the car are Tamiya's, and they're wonderful.

Also, neither tire needs a foam, so I need not worry about mud/snow/water offsetting wheel balance.
    Still got 11yo proline dirthawgs those things seem to never lose thread
    I got the set on a extremely used, and abused MT1 ran em a bit on my MT2, broke a rim, put em on a new $5 rim set(they were on clearance at my LHS originally marked $20), then slapped them on my electric MT1 I made, then after that was dismantled slapped em on my DF-02 turned ST where they sit to today.
    In all honesty they still look like new, I have a pair of brand new ones I got with a RC roller (guy never glued em or anything) that look the same as those.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: 378

very carefully.

Still got 11yo proline dirthawgs those things seem to never lose thread
    I got the set on a extremely used, and abused MT1 ran em a bit on my MT2, broke a rim, put em on a new $5 rim set(they were on clearance at my LHS originally marked $20), then slapped them on my electric MT1 I made, then after that was dismantled slapped em on my DF-02 turned ST where they sit to today.
    In all honesty they still look like new, I have a pair of brand new ones I got with a RC roller (guy never glued em or anything) that look the same as those.
    Nice. The Tamiya Rally Blocks do have a bit of wear on 'em. The outer shoulder is ground away. But that's because the body rubs on them at full compression, and there's nothing I can do to fix that short ruining the body, so I just shrugged and let it grind the shoulders off. It has since stabilized, not grinding into the carcass itself, so they're not likely to come apart.
    My stash:
    1 rally modded NTC3, 1 HeliMax Axe CX Nano, 1 Hobbico NexSTAR.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Medial pro make good tyres also.

San Diego but living in Dubai, UNITED ARAB EMIRATE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have no idea stoya, I've looked all over for a link or answer and I haven't found one that gives you all the actual info on how tires are made. It's probably more of a trade secret and won't be posted on the net for everyone to see. [:-]

ORIGINAL: stoya789

Looking for any links or articles demonstrating how they are made. From machining the molds to rubber compound injection.
    The rest of your life starts now. Go Live It!

Team Terribles

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would imagine they are made by an injection molding process, seeing as how they make X amount of the same tire day in and day out they probably just used a fixed automation process and keep fillin' the molds!
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

I would imagine they are made by an injection molding process, seeing as how they make X amount of the same tire day in and day out they probably just used a fixed automation process and keep fillin' the molds!
    that would be my guess seeing they all look identical too, and have nothing special in them to hold them together like automotive tires do

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RC tires are not injection molded. Simply put, the process is like this:
    The mold is sprayed with mold release. The rubber is weighed and placed into the press mold. The shape and size of the rubber doesn't matter as long as the piece or pieces will fit inside the mold - only the weight/volume just has to be correct. The molding machine slowly presses the mold halves together while heating the rubber (to liquify it) and it flows into the mold cavity. Then the heat is turned off and the rubber is cooled so it solidifies again. Cycle time is anywhere from 3-6 minutes depending on the size/volume of the tire. Typically a mold has several cavities in it so you can make several tires per cycle. Typical is 2-4 tires per cycle.

Rubber molding is a stinky, dirty process and I suspect it's not terribly good for your health but I've never seen the machine operators wear breathing protection or protective outerwear ...in China at least, where most RC tires are made.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Close enough, dude.....

ORIGINAL: Noff

The mold is sprayed with mold release. The rubber is weighed and placed into the press mold. The shape and size of the rubber doesn't matter as long as the piece or pieces will fit inside the mold - only the weight/volume just has to be correct. The molding machine slowly presses the mold halves together while heating the rubber (to liquify it) and it flows into the mold cavity. Then the heat is turned off and the rubber is cooled so it solidifies again. Cycle time is anywhere from 3-6 minutes depending on the size/volume of the tire. Typically a mold has several cavities in it so you can make several tires per cycle. Typical is 2-4 tires per cycle.

Rubber molding is a stinky, dirty process and I suspect it's not terribly good for your health but I've never seen the machine operators wear breathing protection or protective outerwear ...in China at least, where most RC tires are made.
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Noff

I always thought the tires were injection molded. Isn't what you just described basically injection molding? You mention liquifying rubber and having it flow into the mold cavity... Anyways, on one of my Team Associated RC10 buggy tires you can see 2 marks, one on each opposite end of the tire, I assumed these 2 marks were a "gate" and a "vent" which are typically used in injection molding. By the way, where did you get your information from?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

must be made from 30% gold because they are very expensive.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's interesting how full size tireas are made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K474RYse9P8&NR=1

that would be my guess seeing they all look identical too, and have nothing special in them to hold them together like automotive tires do
    Actually I have seen some tires that are belted. I don't think any have beads, though.
    http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/103337/
    God bless America

The described process, which sounds correct, is the same as injection molding.

On slicks you can see the parting line running down the center of the tread surface.

MIT 2011 // HPI
    Super F1, Proceed, Super Nitro, Pro-D, RS4 Rally, Savage X SS, RS4 3 Evo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

It's interesting how full size tireas are made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K474RYse9P8&NR=1

Actually I have seen some tires that are belted. I don't think any have beads, though.
    http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/103337/
    yea after I made that post I thought about the belted ones
    I'm guessing those are made more like automotive tires

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/9055...og=minisite_CI Yuyao Inheritance Plastic Industry Co., Ltd.
    contact these guys, and ask them. Tell them its for a school project or something and ask the how they make it. They also make rims and lipo batts., This is just a sample of what they can make....