Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Velineon for Revo

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velineon for Revo

Is the Traxxas Velineon motor and esc enough power for a Revo? Not looking for land speed records but I"m fed up with nitro! Dont know crap about electric rc, all my knowledge is in nitro.

I was looking at the Tekno conversion kit on Tower Hobbies for the Revo, looks like it would be all that hard to swithc from nitro to electric on my Revo, after looking at some pictures though, can I still use my same transmission with this conversion?

I just dont want a slow Revo and the Traxxas brushless system isnt all that expensive?

Any input from all you experts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

XTHExSA1NT

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Velineon for Revo

It's going to be dog slow, you're better off selling your current Revo and picking up a brushless E-Revo, or a used E-revo roller and dropping a Tekin or Castle setup.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

Really? Is it just the way that the chassi is setup? Buying a while new erevo and dropping in a tekin costs some coin...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The chassis and all that stuff is not cheap to install on a nitro Revo. If you want to tackle the conversion, by all means, do it, but ebay has aton of rollers available.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

The conversion kit from Tekno looks like it just bolts on, its $140.0 kit.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
BKoz559

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Tekno is a bolt on conversion, however, you still need a source of motivation after that. So, $140 for the conversion plus a brushless system, some batteries and a charger; assuming you dont' already have LiPos and a charger.

From my experiences with Ebay, a good condition used Nitro Revo can fetch $200-$300 depending on the condition, which generation it is and what is included with it. Used E-Revos or E-Savages have dipped as low as $140 plus shipping, and that includes a couple of bogus NiMh batteries. I ditched a very beat up Revo with a partial Tekno conversion for $125 plus shipping about 4 months ago because I was in a similar situation to you. I wanted a big truck but nitro power is too loud for the neighbors and it doesn't really appeal to me anymore. In the end Ilucked out BIGTIME because after patiently waiting for a deal to pop up, one eventually did. Iscored a Savage Flux HP on Craigslist for $300 with EVERYTHING and then some! It is well used but, he gave me enough spare suspension and chassis parts to damn near build a second one. All I've done so far is clean out all the ball bearings and wash the chassis. Eventually I will change the connections to Deans plugs.

Enough about my story; I think TBJ's advice of building up a rolling chassis or even just looking for a good deal on a used one is probably the best bet in the long run. Consider selling your Revo on Craigslist or Ebay and use that money to put towards another electric truck. If you have your heart set on brushless Revo's / Savages, then expect to dish out a minimum of $350 for one in decent condition.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57324.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	552.0 KB
ID:	1617115  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

May sound stupid but I"m looking forward to converting a nitro to electric, think I might try the Tekno kit and a velinean brushless kit for now and see how it turns out, then might upgrade to a Tekin brushless kit, I already stripped my revo down last night and cleaned it all up and got it ready for the build....

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
sloppyG

tekno conversion $140
motor and ESC $250

you're at $400 already... just sell it and buy an electric one
I converted a nitro revo to electric, I know it's expensive and you end up with a worse product than a purpose built electric
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

If I get the Velinean brushless kit from Traxxas then it wont be that much, I have an old traxxas 4tec that I can take the motor and esc of and trade it in towards the velinean, about 130 bucks, not a bad price for the bang.....
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: xTHExSA1NTx

If I get the Velinean brushless kit from Traxxas then it wont be that much, I have an old traxxas 4tec that I can take the motor and esc of and trade it in towards the velinean, about 130 bucks, not a bad price for the bang.....
That power system is for smaller vehicles...

There is no way it will power a revo.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM
sloppyG

just so you know, you can get a better brushless system than the VXL for less than even the "trade in" price from traxxas..

and if you put a VXL system or any small 1/10 setup in a revo.. it'll die a hot smokey death very quickly

if you're going to spend any money, buy the right stuff the first time.. don't do some weird thing where you're trying to be cheap. (and the VXL setup is not cheap for what it is)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

So you're going to run a system meant for 4.5 lb cars in a 10-12 pound car?

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

I"ve been watching videos with people running them in revos and emaxx's, I think it would suit me just fine....I could be wrong though, only way for a person to learn right? With a 3s lipo, just a little backyard bashing, should do just fine right
?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

Let me ask you this, what Castle Creations kit should I go with then?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
The Hedgehog

I''ve been watching videos with people running them in revos and emaxx's, I think it would suit me just fine....I could be wrong though, only way for a person to learn right? With a 3s lipo, just a little backyard bashing, should do just fine right
?
No it won't last, it is for smaller vehicles.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 PM
sloppyG

I''ve been watching videos with people running them in revos and emaxx's, I think it would suit me just fine....I could be wrong though, only way for a person to learn right? With a 3s lipo, just a little backyard bashing, should do just fine right
?
just because you see a video, that doesn't mean that RC actually has that combo in it... people lie...

also note how short the videos are... running something for 2 minutes does not mean it will last for a whole battery pack

just buy an e-revo.. by the time you buy a conversion and an ESC/motor combo you're almost there anyways
(you'd want the castle mamba monster combo, which is stock in the brushless erevo)

also, good luck trying to run it on 3s, that's not enough voltage and you'll be pulling a ton of amps and running VERY hot no matter what 3s setup you go with.. you need 4s at a minimum to make it work right.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

3S, 3500 VXL setup, speed control already known for pooping out when used well below its limits, plus a 10+ pound truck...

DO IT, BUT MAKE SURE YOU VIDEO EVERY MOMENT OF ITS RUNTIMES SO ThunderbirdJunkie CAN REVEL IN THE FLAMES!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

Well thanks for not criticizing me to much...Since I dont know I'm going to ask, explain lipos to me, what does the 3s 4s and amps and all that mean cause I'm lost, I thought a 3s was plenty...Like I said, have no clue what i"m getting to....
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well thanks for not criticizing me to much...Since I dont know I'm going to ask, explain lipos to me, what does the 3s 4s and amps and all that mean cause I'm lost, I thought a 3s was plenty...Like I said, have no clue what i''m getting to....
S is how many cells are in it
2S for example is 7.4V
3S is 11.1v, and 4S is 14.8v's
in the 1/8th system they are saying the reason you go for 4S is cause the motor KV rating is generally lower, and needs more voltage to increase its RPM's. The VXL on 3S is about 38800RPM where the 1/8th scale 2200kv setup does 32560RPM on 4S But the VXL on 3S will pretty much burn up, where as the 2200kv setup on 4S probably will barely get warm

C- rating is discharge rating. It is used to figure out the maximum constant current draw(Amps) from the battery. There are PLENTY of threads in the past 2 weeks dealing with this
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

Ok, I"ll do some thread searching, what lipo should I run with the Mamba Monster brushless kit? Also, I was looking at Hitec X4 Quad DC Multi-Charger, seems like it would be a good charger to start out with...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
BKoz559

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, I"ll do some thread searching, what lipo should I run with the Mamba Monster brushless kit? Also, I was looking atHitec X4 Quad DC Multi-Charger, seems like it would be a good charger to start out with...

For starters I encourage you to visit this link: http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tosand review the "Lipo Basics" section. It'll answer any and all questions you may have.

The charger you mentioned is a neat idea but, 2 respectable LiPo balance chargers are probably all you need; even if you have 4 battery packs. 2 in the truck, 2 on the charger and keep rotating them. Maybe a pair of these, perhaps? https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC0604. Heck, Omnimodels (on Ebay) is selling Checkpoint TC-1030's for $69.99 plus $8 shipping. I think I'll get another one myself for that price! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Mamba Monster is a good system to use and is the same one that is used in the factory version of the Brushless E-Revo. The HPI Blur system is similar and costs about $300+. Basically you need a brushless system designed for 1/8 scale or monster trucks specifically. Typically they will accomodate up to 22.2v or 6s LiPo power. 4S / 14.8v power is still highly potent. My Flux can do backflips with 4S; I couldn't imagine trying to drive a 6S powered vehicle with any degree of control. If you are looking for a better price then you can checkout the system Hobbyking offers. I don't have first-hand experience with it so maybe other users can offer their experiences.

By the way, your Revo is clean enough to eat off of. What did you use to clean it?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:29 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

For starters I encourage you to visit this link: http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...arging-how-tos and review the "Lipo Basics" section.  It'll answer any and all questions you may have.

The charger you mentioned is a neat idea but, 2 respectable LiPo balance chargers are probably all you need; even if you have 4 battery packs.  2 in the truck, 2 on the charger and keep rotating them.  Maybe a pair of these, perhaps?  https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC0604.  Heck, Omnimodels (on Ebay) is selling Checkpoint TC-1030's for $69.99 plus $8 shipping.  I think I'll get another one myself for that price! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Mamba Monster is a good system to use and is the same one that is used in the factory version of the Brushless E-Revo.  The HPI Blur system is similar and costs about $300+.  Basically you need a brushless system designed for 1/8 scale or monster trucks specifically.  Typically they will accomodate up to 22.2v or 6s LiPo power.  4S / 14.8v power is still highly potent.  My Flux can do backflips with 4S; I couldn't imagine trying to drive a 6S powered vehicle with any degree of control.  If you are looking for a better price then you can checkout the system Hobbyking offers.  I don't have first-hand experience with it so maybe other users can offer their experiences.

By the way, your Revo is clean enough to eat off of.  What did you use to clean it? 

Everyone told me just to buy the e-revo, I would rather take my revo that I was running nitro on and build it up, I think I would enjoy it more, as far as the charger, if I"m going brushless, its going to cost some coin so why not go all out right?  I think I've made up my mind on the mamba monster, I have the Tekno kit on order now as we type lol...wI have some industrial de-greaser at my work and a very powerful air compressor, then I'll hit it up with some simple green and another once over with the compressor.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
xTHExSA1NTx

Got the Tekno kit today, getting ready to install it here in a bit, I"ll keep pictures posted up and keep the build informed if anyone is interested...
Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man.. a lot of people in this thread trying to discourage the guy. Maybe he doesn't want to trade for an e-revo. I wouldn't put a velineon in it... but a decent 1/8 scale brushless system would do fine.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Man.. a lot of people in this thread trying to discourage the guy. Maybe he doesn't want to trade for an e-revo. I wouldn't put a velineon in it... but a decent 1/8 scale brushless system would do fine.
meh if he wants to do it its upto him
I took a Savage .21 and converted it to electric. Its now got more flux parts (still gotta replaced my diffs) than .21 parts on it now
In retrospect I probably would have been cheaper off just buying a 2350, or buying a used flux roller, BUT where is the fun in that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.