Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Pull Starter issue

Old 08-11-2011, 03:23 AM
6stringer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Starter issue

Hey,

I have a Savage X SS with the k4.6 nitro motor in it. It has about 75% of a gallon of fuel through it. The pull starter appears to not be engaging the motor fully, so I can't get it started. Sometimes when I pull it it freely comes out with no resistance and the motor doesn't turn.Sometimes when I pull it will engage the motor between 25% and 50% of the pull partially turning the motor. However, I can't get the motor started as I can't get enough tension on the line, nor engage the motor enough to actually fire the engine.

I checked the glow plug and airlines, and I am fairly certain it's the pull starter.The last time Ihad her out it was running fine and Ihad a flameout and she died.WhenI tried to start it againI couldn't get the pull starter to budge at all. After yanking and yankingI was able to get it to move but the whole engine felt locked up. Slowly pulled out the cord three or four times and was able to loosen it up. My initial thought was, oh crap, I ruined my motor, as it sounded like a bunch of dirt was trying to travel through the cylinder, but after giving it a few hard tugs, the problem worked it's way through, and I was ultimately able to get it started.About a tank later it flamed out again (I am a newb and tuning and was experimenting with adjusting the dials - trust me,I usually run my engine pretty rich and never have gotten the temp much above 220 degrees) and now the pull starter won't fully engage.

Similar posts suggest it's the one way bearing, what do you guys think it is? I would prefer some pre diagnosis before I pull the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Ducat1

Default RE: Pull Starter issue

Happend to me to I just got a new one way bearing and a roto start (my pull starts kept breaking) but I'd take the motor out of the truck andtry to turn it by the flywheel I'f it doesn't take the head off and see I'f there's any dirt or anything in it also do that to the backplate to look at the crank.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:23 PM
DaveG55

I would tend to agree with those that have suggested the OWB is the problem.
But, there's usually no need to get a new one. All they usually require is a good cleaning. The bearings tend to accumulate oil and dirt and the rooler bearings in them quit moving freely and fail to grab the starter shaft. Cleaning will fix the issue for a while - til it gets dirty enough again...
As far as not wanting to tear it apart, get used to that, it's just a part of the hobby and nothing to be afraid of or even worried about. Like Nike says, Just do it!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM
beave928
My Feedback: (8)

Ya i would go fo the roto start kit save lots of time and money in thw long run
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 AM
6stringer

I tore it apart and cleaned it up.  It didn't have any dirt or anything like that, but the oil accumulation on the OWB was such that it it was slipping.  Fixed the problem.

However, it still slips a little bit which leads me to believe I didn't clean it enough.  Any tips for cleaning?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Ducat1

I usually just spray things off with carb cleaner then wipe it off good with a rag. Is there any roller bearings missing in the OWB I'f it is Rhys why it's slipping
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OWB in my engine got to that point at about 2.5 gallons or so. I soaked it in rubbing alcohol for about ten minutes, it worked for another quart, then acted up again. Soaked it again, got about ten more tanks out of it. Soaked it again, got one start before it started acting up. So I spent 32 bucks on a new one
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM
6stringer

I didn't really clean it that thoroughly, just sprayed it down with some nitro cleaner, than rubbed it down with a cloth.  Sprayed a little in the motor as well. 

Thanks guys.

Hey, does anyone have any advice on the best way to remount the motor to the car?  Man that is a pain in the butt.  I have the Nitro Savage X ss and the motor mounts are screwed in from the bottom of the car.  This is one of those jobs that would be a ton easier if the screws could be accessed from the top.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've got ball drivers on hand you should be able to remove the four bolts that attach to the ears on the crankcase and remove it that way. That's how I pull my engines, and it preserves gear mesh as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Golly Gee... the perfect opportunity to post my home-made GIF on how a OWB works.... LOL.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Ducat1

Lol nice diagram