Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which big block would you go with and why

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Dynamite Big Red
16.67%
LRP .30
25.00%
O.S. TM .21
25.00%
Picco Max .26
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Which big block would you go with and why

Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which big block would you go with and why

As ThunderbirdJunkie told you earlier...

Big Red - $150
Bumpstart conversion for said engine - $15 + dremel cutoff wheel (because it won't fit with the pullstart)
Starter box - $70-110
pipe - $60 or $80
engine mount kit - $60ish

RB TM523 (which includes an engine mount and pipe) - $300 at most retailers

It's obviously not a question of affording it, it's a question of saving a little money back here and there to do it instead of nickel and diming yourself to death.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...you could save 95-120 bucks and just leave the pull starter on. It saps an absolutely negligible amount of power and they generally don't screw up unless there's a user error on hand.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The upper left rear arm on a Revo will hit the pullstarter on a Big Red, hence the conversion to bumpstart.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

I think they should make the same engine to fit each truck, how sweet would that be?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The upper left rear arm on a Revo will hit the pullstarter on a Big Red, hence the conversion to bumpstart.

Ahh, didn't know something got in the way mounting it. Nevermind then. Though you can still save a few bucks and simply remove the starter itself while leaving the old start shaft and backplate attached.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The backplate also hits because of its size.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Huh...and here I want to stuff an FS-40CS-X into a Slayer...probably have to settle for the FS26 presuming I can find and/or concoct one.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You could modify an FS40's crank to accept standard threaded-shaft crank nuts and such. Ditto the FS30.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Most likely what I'll do is buy either an FS40 or FS30, replace the crank, back plate, carb, intake and camshaft with those from the car counterpart and bolt that in. FS30 would probably be the best choice, anyways, as I'm sure it will rev a bit higher. Bigger bore, same stroke, when compared to the FS26.

I'm still not entirely sold on bump boxes. I know they make it easier to crank them over and can often force another half-gallon out of worn glow plugs, but I have enough of a faff just bringing car, TX, HotShot and fuel bottle out there. Too much crap, not enough hands. I'd probably use one if I raced, though, it's not like a recoil start negates the possibility of using a bump box.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
xTHExSA1NTx

Ok so maybe the BB idea wasnt such a great idea, seems like its to much of a hassle and the picco 26 max sounds like a better idea to me. Do you think I can run the bigger wheels and tires from the Summit on my revo and still have plenty of power? And since I'm going with the picco 26 max, I want a bad a** exhaust, I"m open to suggestions, you guys have got me this far so dont let me down now
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Dude, take it from somebody that used to do EVERYTHING cheap.

You spend MORE money in the long run doing it the cheap way.

Also, you will frag lots of drivetrain components with those tires.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

I just went through the installation of the New Era BB conversion in my Revo....it did take some playing with it but its doable.  I did not use the throttle linkage that came with the kit, bought a GP pushrod with clevis to eliminate the slop at the mixer.  This is of course after I spent several days trying to get the included pushrod to work.  Also used a different servo arm setup that I saw on another forum and this forced me to shim up the guide that is included with the kit.  Aligning the CB with the spur can be a trip as well....I actually had to shim out my flywheel so I could get close to a perfect mate with the spur. 

I installed the k4.6 w/o any problems with the backplate or pullstart interfering with anything.....however I do have RPM arms which may or may not aid in that, and the k4.6 probably has different dimensions than the BigRed.  That is good to know because I plan on yanking the k4.6 for a BigRed or a Losi 454 so Ill have to do some research to see if Im gonna have problems there.

If you do use the New Era kit....make sure to remember to locktight the engine mount adjustment screws (the screws associated with placing the engine further for BB clutch, or closer for SB clutch).  I ran my revo for 15 minutes last weekend before I realized 2 of those screws worked their way out and my engine was wobbling.  Heres some pics of what I did with the throttle linkage...hope it can be of some assisitance when/if you tackle yours.