Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rc car vs rc heli

Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 AM
stoya789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rc car vs rc heli

lol, i was reading on the freak that tarot is actually owned by align! which means that align sells clones of its own stuff!!?!?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 AM
stoya789

Looks decent... any first hand experiences with it?
no first hand experience, but from what i read it is definitely a keeper. it was actually released some tiime ago, its a sleeper hit, must of slipped under the radar.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: stoya789

i was just chatting over at the heli forums and the tarot 450 pro looks like a good heli (align clone) its got a torque tube and the kicker is its only 99 bones@![img][/img] u will need motor/esc/gyro/radio/servos. i could probably put together a decent combo for ya for less than 400 bones[img][/img]. the best part is u can use standard align trex 450 replacement parts because its an align clone![img][/img]
There are some spots where you can't use T-rex 450 parts.

And for $400 you can get a T-rex 450 combo with servos, gyro, everything, all you need is a transmitter and receiver.

lol, i was reading on the freak that tarot is actually owned by align! which means that align sells clones of its own stuff!!?!?[img][/img]
Align manufactures all of their stuff in-house in Taiwan. That Tarot 450 thing is just one of the HobbyKing T-rex clones and Align had nothing to do with it except get ripped off.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
stoya789

do you know off hand which parts, or just heard through the grapevine?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
tommygun32

Just a quick question....that rear plastic geared 'diff' or rear rotor 'transfer case' in stoya's pics.....is plastic better in a heli? Or is metal better?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
stoya789

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Just a quick question....that rear plastic geared 'diff' or rear rotor 'transfer case' in stoya's pics.....is plastic better in a heli? Or is metal better?
typically at least one set of the gears on a torque tube are plastic, they are considered to be a consumable. if the tail blades touch the ground the plastic gear will strip. something has to give when the blades hit the ground, a small plastic gear is ideal becaue it is inexpensive. metal isn't really used very much for heli gears, mainly because metal is heavy, and the strength of metal is not needed like with r/c cars. in fact, i have never seen metal being used on torque tube gears at all, even for the largest 700 size helis. pic related, its a trex 700 tail.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 AM
tommygun32

Ahhhh...ok, thanks stoya. Transfer of crash energy and all that, fair nuff... and good to now.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

do you know off hand which parts, or just heard through the grapevine?
A buddy has one of the HK 450s and he has confirmed this several times when at the LHS pulling Align parts off the wall. He pretty much has a belt drive 450 Pro now that he's visited the T-rex parts wall as much as he has, and has spent a significant amount more than he would've if he would have just bought the 450 Pro or SE from Align.

It's just like the Baja clones. Once you replace all the parts with real Baja parts, they're finally good cars[&:]
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Not many people can take an FP heli and fly it without some kind of serious damage.
I disagree. I started with a fixed pitch heli. While I crashed alot, the broken parts weren't that expensive. 1 landing skid ($4.99), 1 tail boom and motor ($16.99) and 2 tail rotors ($5.00). Thats it. $27.00 spent after 30+ crashes. Now I have the hang of it and haven't really crashed hard in awhile. I'd sooner spend $27.00 on broken parts than $100+ on a beginner heli and still maybe break parts when I switch to FP.

-FP helis are pretty tough as long as you drop the throttle before you hit the ground.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:06 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i leaned how to fly really well on a simulator, but i am happy as can be with my micro lama-2 CX.

its fast, and twitchy enough to make it fun, but it is built like a tank and cheap to buy.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Chucksolo69

I said MOST people. There are always exceptions. For every one person like you, there are 10 that couldn't get an FP heli off the ground to save their life. I've seen it. In the 2 years I had my Blade mCX I never broke a thing on it, AND in the 6 months I have had my Blade 120 SR, I haven't broken a thing on it yet either. Why? Because I learned the basics on a coaxial "beginner" heli. I flew the 120 SR successfullythe first time I picked up the transmitter. I didn't crash 30 times or have to spend $27.00. Oh, and I didn't have to spend 100 bucks on some video game in order to learn to fly a $150.00 heli model.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Sigma.40

I didn't crash 30 timesor have to spend $27.00. Oh, and I didn't have to spend 100 bucks on some video game in order to learn to fly a $150.00 heli model.
No, you didn't, but how much did you spend on the MCX? I'd bet it was more than $27. I will concede to you that some people may not be able to handle an FP heli at first but I think MOSTpeople can.

-And now that I'm thinking about it, most of those crashes and all the broken partswere due to heavywinds blowing it into a nearby tree, as I started in helis during the windiest time on the year here in Northern Michigan.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 AM
cheezer1222

Oh, and I didn't have to spend 100 bucks on some video game in order to learn to fly a $150.00 heli model.
Most people who spend the money to buy some "video game" to help them learn to fly heli models are paying that money to help them practice going from one model to another, so that they have a decent feel for what they're getting into with their new model. They also don't spend that money to teach themselves how to fly ultra micro and sub micro helis,
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Chucksolo69

That is debatable. Getting real airtime is IMHO a hell of a lot better than sitting in front of a PC trying to learn to fly a model heli. BTW, spent $99.00 on the mCX and was able to pass it down to my brother in pristine condition. Nothing compares to the real thing. That's just like trying to learn how to shoot a .45 automatic playing "Medal of Honor" or some other stupid video game. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Sigma.40

Nothing compares to the real thing. That's just like trying to learn how to shoot a .45 automaticplaying "Medal of Honor" or some other stupid video game. It ain't gonna happen.
Asimulator is VERYgood practice that will help you get the hang of flying without spending $100s on parts after crashing. I never would have been able to afford to fly my Raptor without the 20+ hours I spent on the sim before my 1st flight. A good simulator (while VERY overpriced) is not a video game and has physics prettyclose to the real thing. The heli on my screenacts the sameway that my Raptor does in real life.

I do agree that it is notAS good as real life, in that you don't have the same fear of crashing that you do with the real thing. But it will train you to fly, especially helpfulwith people like me who have no one to teach them. When I first got the Raptor, I didn't even know which stick was the throttle and now I can fly and hover it pretty well.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
cheezer1222

That is debatable. Getting real airtime is IMHO a hell of a lot better than sitting in front of a PC trying to learn to fly a model heli. BTW, spent $99.00 on the mCX and was able to pass it down to my brother in pristine condition. Nothing compares to the real thing. That's just like trying to learn how to shoot a .45 automatic playing ''Medal of Honor'' or some other stupid video game. It ain't gonna happen.
That's actually a pretty horrible analogy. A better analogy might be learning to shoot a .45 automatic by playing medal of honor with a .45 automatic controller, or maybe even the actual .45 you'll be shooting hooked straight into the system. Even that's not a very good analogy, because you wouldn't use a war "simulator" to help you learn to shoot a gun. In all likelihood, the simulator to help you shoot would just be a firing range, or shooting clay pigeons.

I agree with Sigma. It's not the same as real life, but it helps you get a feel for what you'll be up against.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:55 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

A better analogy would be learning how to hunt ducks while playing Duck Hunt.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

A better analogy would be learning how to hunt ducks while playing Duck Hunt.