Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

rc car vs rc heli

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 AM
sportsstar298

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc car vs rc heli

i want to get another rc but i am torn between a traxxas slash 2wd and a 3d helicopter
which one do you think i should get.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: rc car vs rc heli

If you have other cars, get the heli.

3d Helicopters are fun, but require a lot of practice. If you have never flown before, you may want to start out with an axial rotor type heli, like a blade cx2.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM
stoya789

get a simulator first, i got realflight g3. I practiced on it for a couple months before I took my trex 450 out for its maiden flight. get an align heli, either trex 450 or 500. align has the best pilots, (szabo/krause) on their design team, so thier helis are top notch and 3D ready. trex 500 w/ the torque tube is my personal fav. there is a combo kit called "trex 500 esp" that includes a bunch of goodies, plus has a sweet looking canopy. if the 500 is out of your price range then get the 450. don't get the 250, its too much of a handful for beginners. tiny heli's are harder to fly thatn larger ones.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM
sportsstar298

alright thanks i think ill get the heli. i know this is the wrong forum but what is the difference between the honeybee v3 and the belt cp v2
Old 06-16-2011, 07:59 AM
stoya789

ORIGINAL: sportsstar298

alright thanks i think ill get the heli. i know this is the wrong forum but what is the difference between the honeybee v3 and the belt cp v2
to be honest, i have no clue, nor do i care.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Chucksolo69

It depends on how much time you want to devote to the heli. I find I can spend more time with the cars than the helicopter. I personally would go with the car. Helicopters are fun, but very difficult to get the hang of. Even a coaxial helicopter takes a little while to "learn." A fixed pitch takes even more time and a CP heli is more difficult yet. I have 2 fixed pitch helis and a CP heli and after flying the fixed pitch for 6 months now I still have not flown the CP. Get the car.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM
proanti1

Esky? They are junk, dont bother. Like stoya said, get an align if you are going to start out with a 3d.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Both of them are junk. Just get a Blade 400 RTF if you can't afford to go all out with a T-rex 450. Comes with a DX6i, or wait a few weeks for the Blade 450 that should be hitting stores soon.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
cheezer1222

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Esky? They are junk, dont bother. Like stoya said, get an align if you are going to start out with a 3d.
I don't know if I'd buy any of their 3d capable helicopters, but some of their beginner stuff isn't too bad. I have a Honey Bee FP. Parts are cheap, it's easy to repair, and I don't think I've ever had a part fail on it that wasn't caused by me crashing it. Esky might not be a bad place to begin, but after that I would start looking at more mianstream/name brand helis.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
trickle007

If you never flown a heli before go buy a Blade mcx2 coaxial heli. Do not buy a Collective Pitch (CP) heli if you never flown a chopper unless you going to get a good flight sim like phoenix flight or real flight and practise on that untill you can fly a CP on the sim. Helicopers are a blast but you have to put some serious time in to learn them espcially the 3D kind AKA as CP. Another side note is the Coaxial helicopters do not fly well outdoors it must be completly calm outside with no breeze. Thats why i suggested the Blade MCX2 it small and can be flown easily in your living room. If you looking to fly only outdoors I would suggest the blade 120SR or MSR both are fixed pitch helis and can tolerate alot more wind then a Coaxial can. Good Luck
Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM
gPlayer234

I was mainly a car guy and was looking for a new toy, so I purchased a heli. It's a mini chopper but is fully functional (except flying upside down) and I have had an absolute blast with it! $129 at my LHS, E-Flight Blade mSR. I didn't read the other posts so I may have missed something, but if you've never flown heli's before I wouldn't recommend starting with a 3D, heli's take awhile to learn how to fly. The one I got was pretty hard to learn on, but I would recommend it or a coaxial heli.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I'm a car guy who moved into helis a few months ago. Its alot of fun but as others have said they take alot of practice. I don't think that you need to start with a coaxial heli, though. I started with fixed pitch 120 SRand I crashed it alot. However, I only spent $30 in broken parts before I got the hang of it. A coaxial heli would have cost $100+ and I still may have crashed and broken the fixed pitch.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Blade MCX, and a bunch of different cars. (2WD, 4WD, onroad, offroad, etc.) Overall I think the cars are a little more fun, but on the other hand I didn't buy the most capable/interesting heli either.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM
sportsstar298

i am on a tight budget and i would hate to buy two heli's. how much harder will it be to control a 3d heli compared to a fixed pitch if i dont use the 3d right away
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: trickle007

If you never flown a heli before go buy a Blade mcx2 coaxial heli. Do not buy a Collective Pitch (CP) heli if you never flown a chopper unless you going to get a good flight sim like phoenix flight or real flight and practise on that untill you can fly a CP on the sim. Helicopers are a blast but you have to put some serious time in to learn them espcially the 3D kind AKA as CP. Another side note is the Coaxial helicopters do not fly well outdoors it must be completly calm outside with no breeze. Thats why i suggested the Blade MCX2 it small and can be flown easily in your living room. If you looking to fly only outdoors I would suggest the blade 120SR or MSR both are fixed pitch helis and can tolerate alot more wind then a Coaxial can. Good Luck
Stupid question, but how did people learn to fly helis before flight sims and fixed pitch and coaxial helicopters?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:26 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: trickle007

Stupid question, but how did people learn to fly helis before flight sims and fixed pitch and coaxial helicopters?
money.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Chucksolo69

Yep, start out with a CP heli and it will soon become a money pit. I guarantee even an FP helicopter will make you dig into you pocket. Not many people can take an FP heli and fly it without some kind of serious damage.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The point was that people learned how to fly a helicopter back when a .40 size collective pitch bird was the ONLY option.

Is there a steep learning curve? Absolutely. But there's still a steep learning curve even with a simulator.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Freezetron

I've attempted heli's twice last year but just gave up. If you have the patience and pocketbook, they are alot of fun. I have neither, so I stick with cars.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

I've attempted heli's twice last year but just gave up. If you have the patience and pocketbook, they are alot of fun. I have neither, so I stick with cars.
You couldn't handle an mSR?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Chucksolo69

To one who has never flown any type of RC heli, even an mSR can be daunting. I recently gave my mCX to my brother to try and get him interested in RC helis. I could not believe how intense he looked as he was trying to fly the little bird. To me, the mCX is dead easy and comes second nature, but to the uninitiated, it can still be a handful. I have graduated to and just about mastered the mSR and the 120 SR, but still have reservations about flying my Blade SR CP.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
KoRn24

I have 10 trucks and 2 heli's. Yea the trucks are great, but sometimes you just wanna do something else. I gotta say, flying the Heli's is awesome. I started out with a syma 107 micro infrared coax. It was good to practice with. Then i moved on to a Blade MCX2. That is one fun 4 chnl micro Heli. I love it. I have now moved up to a Blade CX2. It's also fun, but it can get away from you pretty quick. I would stay away from the 3d Heli's til you ge a lot of practice. They are very fast and usually brushless.Just my 2 cents...  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 AM
stoya789

i was just chatting over at the heli forums and the tarot 450 pro looks like a good heli (align clone) its got a torque tube and the kicker is its only 99 bones@! u will need motor/esc/gyro/radio/servos. i could probably put together a decent combo for ya for less than 400 bones. the best part is u can use standard align trex 450 replacement parts because its an align clone!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM
proanti1

Looks decent... any first hand experiences with it? I sold off all my helis a couple years ago, its time to get back into them.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Yep, start out with a CP heli and it will soon become a money pit. I guarantee even an FP helicopter will make you dig into you pocket. Not many people can take an FP heli and fly it without some kind of serious damage.
Nah, he will bust it to pieces, then it will go back into the box and sit in a closet for a couple years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.