Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for my first Brushless RTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM
stoya789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for my first Brushless RTR

ya, traxxas is the best, tell me somethin i don't know. another thing to keep in mind is the cost of spare parts. traxxas spare parts are inexpensive, unlike some other brands that rape your wallet with the jacked up prices of their spare parts. its highway robbery.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Chucksolo69

Besides brand bias, on what do you base your opinions? A lot of Slash owners would seriously dispute your claims. Give facts not biased opinions. BTW, I bashed my Nitro Rustler through a lot of grass, it did fine. Traxxas makes a fine RC cars as do AE, Losi, Tamiya, Kyosho, etc. I have had and have cars from Traxxas, OFNA, AE, Losi and I have found them all to be of superior quality. My advice, get what you can afford. Don't be scared of nitro either, that's just being silly. Nitro is no harder than electric, just takes more time to maintain and clean.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: stoya789

ya, traxxas is the best, tell me somethin i don't know. another thing to keep in mind is the cost of spare parts. traxxas spare parts are inexpensive, unlike some other brands that rape your wallet with the jacked up prices of their spare parts. its highway robbery.
the more you talk, the more you make it clear that you don't know very much
Old 06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
cumquat

if all the shops locally sell traxxas, traxxas & -insert brand here-, traxxas, traxxas and finally traxxas, go inline to shop.

any reason for BL rtr? just the simplicity, or the peace of mind knowing that the motor works with the kit?
if you want it for one of those reasons, go with any of the above suggestions. if you think its cheaper, think again. something like the electrix or duratrax vehicles will run you less than $150 rtr plus another $80-120 for the BL system.

you do have a few 4wd options in the price range. you wont have much, if any, local parts support but this looks promising http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAPPN&P=SM
if you're of with installing the BL system yourself, you could try the hpi trophy truck http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFDG**&P=0

if you're open to kits, let us know. that would give you several more options.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Speed917

Visited 2 of the local hobby shops today and basically both said Traxxas is the superior vehicle to own. They said the SC10 was not the best for off road use, more of less its a track vehicle and the Firestorm Flux was good but they don't carry many of the upgrade or replacement parts.
One shop was trying to push me into Nitro and the other im not sure what he was doing besides charging $370 for an Firestorm Flux. On one hand though i found that one of the shops has 2 indoor tracks in the back.

Now i was told the SC10 and the HPI BL and no where near as good as VXL ? The HPI come in for more parts that any of the Newer Traxxas vehicles, that concerned me. I think i may need to try another hobby store.
ThunderbirdJunkie worked for a hobby shop that didn't want to sell Savages because they don't sell as many parts for Savages as they do T-maxxes.

Yes, they had just as many parts on the shelf for them, but they did not SELL as many. Catch ThunderbirdJunkie's drift?

Anybody that tells you the Firestorm Flux's Castle brushless system is not as good as a VXL needs to be pee-tested before returning to work.

LOL
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJK51&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFDV7&P=7

Which one is cheaper?

Which one is more likely to break?

Here's a hint; it's not the one that you're going to claim is more likely to break[&:]
Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 AM
stoya789

we get it. you hate traxxas, you think they're overpriced. guess what, it only your opinion. and while you are pinching pennies i'll be out enjoying my traxxas. p.s. traxxas is the best.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
cumquat

and thats your opinion. it is a fact that the rustler cannot handle as well as a t4, xxxt, ext (rebranded xxt) or a firestorm. it is a fact the 4tec 3.3 is not faster than the shcumacher fusion .28. it is a fact that the revo is a truggy in a monster truck suit (well, more opinion than fact but you seem to think your opinion IS fact so...). it is also a fact that the t-maxx 3.3 costs more than the savage and mgt 4.6, less powerful than both and is weaker than both.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
sloppyG

we get it. you hate traxxas, you think they're overpriced. guess what, it only your opinion. and while you are pinching pennies i'll be out enjoying my traxxas.[img][/img] p.s. traxxas is the best.

everyone's entitled to an opinion, it's just that yours is wrong

if traxxas stuff isn't overpriced, why are their parts more expensive than AE parts, even though the design of the traxxas stuff is 10+ years older?

Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has the makings of a good thread....
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Chucksolo69

And Chevy is better than Ford, and Toyota is better than Nissan, and Harley Davidson is better than Honda.....blah, blah, blah,.............EVERYONE thinks that they have/own the BEST. Give me a break. If you have had good luck with Traxxas, stick with Traxxas (I have), but I have also had good luck with AE and Losi and OFNA. On the other hand, my one and only experience with HPI was that of a junk nitro car that melted clutch shoes like no tomorrow. Hence, I will not buy HPI, ever. But see that is just my experience. I'll bet HPI stuff is great these days. I don't see the point of arguing about what is "best" because EVERYONE always thinks they have bought what to them, is perceived "the best." Heck, Electrix makes a good product in its nitch, would I buy one? Probably not. But to somone just entering the hobby, the Electrix stuff is probably the "best" to them. It seems that in the RC arena, anyone with a car is an "EXPERT."
Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

Besides brand bias, on what do you base your opinions? A lot of Slash owners would seriously dispute your claims. Give facts not biased opinions. BTW, I bashed my Nitro Rustler through a lot of grass, it did fine. Traxxas makes a fine RC cars as do AE, Losi, Tamiya, Kyosho, etc. I have had and have cars from Traxxas, OFNA, AE, Losi and I have found them all to be of superior quality. My advice, get what you can afford. Don't be scared of nitro either, that's just being silly. Nitro is no harder than electric, just takes more time to maintain and clean.

I'm assuming you're speaking to me. I never said that traxxas is garbage and something else is 10x's better. What I said was I dispute a hobby shop that does just what you're claiming I did. A new person in RC will never see the difference between the AE brushless, the VXL, or the Flux system aside from the Flux system being a 5700KV motor (which in my opinion would be too much for a new person). My point about the nitro rustler is....WHY would you buy a truck that has only ONE use (backyard bashing) because there's no racing for it or anything else you can do with it. HELL I'd say if you're stuck on a Traxxas Rustler, get the VXL rustler.

Now on to the issue of what to buy. Let's look at stadium trucks. Rustler VXL vs. AE T4.1 brushless.
Both have 2.4 ghz, both are about equal in the brushless department (3500 vs 3300)
The t4.1 is a much better racer and an equal basher than the rustler.
The rustler can be made better with hop ups (to become equal (not really but for arguments sake) to the T4.1 in performance) but your talking dumping say $50 or more in parts.
The rustler is $320 and the T4.1 is $250. [:-]
I'm sorry, but I'll take the better performing vehicle for $70 less with everything else being equal. I can get a good lipo charger and 2 lipos for that $70 and be good to go for anything I want to do.

Is that enough facts for you.

PS on the nitro issue. "Nitro is no harder than electric, just takes more time to maintain and clean" WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO SOMEONE STARTING OUT?!?! Thanks for making my point. A new person needs to not spend their time tuning, but running their vehicle.

PS this isn't about Chevy vs. Ford. It's a KNOWN fact that T4.1 > Rustler for performance.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Scottgir

Traxxas is a great company that makes readily available and durable products that have brought MANY new RC'ers into this hobby. You have to give them props for that. They do a lot to give back in regards to sponsoring things etc. I hold Traxxas as a company in high regard. They are the modern day Tamiya.

Anyone who doesn't see the good that Traxxas brings to RC is an idiot....Now that said, PLEASE WOULD ALL THE TRAXXAS FANBOYS STOP THINKING TRAXXAS IS HIGH PERFORMANCE CUTTING EDGE DESIGNS.

People thinking the rustler is as good as the T4.1. REALLY?!?! If you say yes, then you're saying the Bandit is as good as the B4.1 and at that point there's NO POINT in having a discussion. (PS YOU ARE IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE 4 VEHICLES.)

PS, I know in a lot of my posts I come across as a fan to associated. That's not the case. I race a Blitz and if I were to consider myself a "fanboy" of anyone, it'd be Losi or Kyosho. I recommend AE to most people getting into the hobby because the SC10, T4.1 and B4.1 brushless RTR models are the best buys the RC industry has seen in a LONG TIME!!! Almost every LHS supports Associated and they have incredible customer service.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM
stoya789

i don't really give a crap about what anybody thinks or says. lets face it, we are talking about toy cars... thats what they are, just stupid toy cars. and some people here seem to be getting thier panties in a knot over a bunch of toys??? is just pathetic. what a sad life to live... a tragedy.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

i don't really give a crap about what anybody thinks or says. lets face it, we are talking about toy cars... thats what they are, just stupid toy cars. and some people here seem to be getting thier panties in a knot over a bunch of toys??? is just pathetic. what a sad life to live... a tragedy.
You got your panties in a bunch when facts were presented that proved you wrong. You also got your panties in a bunch when somebody slammed your beloved Traxxas.

ThunderbirdJunkie's RC10B2 was immeasurably better than a Bandit in 1996. Why would 2011 1/2 be any different?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 PM
stoya789

nope i hate traxxas, they can get stuffed. i'm donating all my r/c toys to the local childrens hospital.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Chucksolo69

Nitro isn't any harder than electric. I NEVER once had a problem tuning my nitros ten years ago and still don't. Those that do, DON'T READ THE MANUAL. Everytime I read "I race..........," well the fact is MOST of us in this hobby DO NOT race and that is a FACT. So to someone that DOES NOT race, the Bandit buggy is just fine. I have been in this hobby a long, long, time and do not consider myself an expert by any means and I try not to come off as such, I can't say the same for others. More often than not, there is brand bias in all of us and you can explain it away all you like, but yes, you do favor Associated. I have had Associated cars, most notably the TC3 when it first came out and loved it. It gets tiring when you guys constantly play the mine vs. theirs game. It's all good man, NONE of these companies is making a bad vehicle these days. And, if Traxxas was so bad, why are they so friggin' big??? Why, they make a great product that appeals to the masses, that's why. Economics 101 folks.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
cumquat

no, they are so big because you can find them next to the tyco's at toys'r'us and at pep boys. i wouldnt be surprised if you cold find them at walmart in a year or 2.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope i hate traxxas, they can get stuffed. i'm donating all my r/c toys to the local childrens hospital.
they don't want them

Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM
cumquat

i would seriously laugh if someone gave a kid in the hospital with a broken leg something like a stampede vxl and the kid was in there because he was hit stampede vxl. call me cruel but i would laugh me as off.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:54 AM
Chucksolo69

I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. Sounds like you're not using any useful part of your brain. Doesn't anyone on these forums know how to spell or create a sensible sentence?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 AM
BTNRCS
Banned

TRAXXAS
Parts everywhere, extremely durable IMO
Old 06-18-2011, 06:46 AM
DanMN

Any LHS will have Traxxas. They would be stupid not to. Traxxas sells and sells alot. They have great marketing and you can get parts anywhere. They make great beginner trucks and are considered to be the best choice for a first truck by most hobby shops I frequent due to the knowledge base that is out there. Everyone has owned one....... Do I agree with that, no. I think that TA vehicles are easier to work on and and are more adjustable and drive better. IMO, better value for your money. They also have great parts availability. I am sure that LHS's have to hit a certain volume of Traxxas vehicles to keep their discounting also, which would be a good reason the LHS push them.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 AM
DanMN

Oh yeah, you WILL end up doing upgrades at some point, so make sure whatever you get isn't some off brand. Stick with the RC's that have been mentioned earlier in this thread and you will be fine. Your $400 RC will soon be an $800 RC, trust me.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Chucksolo69

Well, somebody out there is saying: "Well, I think Team Losi vehicles are better than Team Associated vehicles because........blah, blah blah,." This is what I am talking about. I just don't see what everyone sees is so evil about Traxxas. Accept it, just as Wal-Mart is the 800 pound gorilla of the discount stores, Horizon Hobby and Tower Hobbies are the 800 lb. gorillas of the online hobby store world, Traxxas is the 800 lb. gorilla of the RC manufacturing world. Is that a good thing, I don't know, but what I do know is that prior to the Slash, there was hardly an RC SC truck phenomenon. Piss and moan all you want, but Traxxas is innovative and trend setting. Do I buy exclusively Traxxas? Heck no. My next car could be the AE SC10RS or the Losi XXX-SCB. Heck, I don't care much for HPI but I am even considering getting their new Mustang E10 Drift car. The bottom line is, choose what you think will best suit you and quit slamming other manufacturers to others, especially noobs who usually don't know as much as we do.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 AM
BKoz559

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

LOL
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJK51&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFDV7&P=7

Which one is cheaper?

Which one is more likely to break?

Here's a hint; it's not the one that you're going to claim is more likely to break[&:]

Valid point.

Ijust saw the SC10RS (about $300) in my newest issue of RC Car Action magazine. I'm not sure of the price but, I like how it has upgraded rear tires which should provide much better rear traction. Plus, it's race ready for spec class if you're so inclined. The T4.1 / B4.1 models run about $250 online.

Where to buy? I haven't tried RPP myself but Ihave made purchases from Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies and Tower Hobbies online. Tower doesn't always have the best deals im my opinion unless you pay for a membership.

As I was browsing I came across this HPI SC truck on promo at Amain: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...attery-Charger. It's not brushless but it seems like a cool truck to start with even though it comes with one of those bogus wall chargers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.