Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for my first Brushless RTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for my first Brushless RTR

great, spamming has infected one of the best mods on here.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol What spamming? I got turned on to the flux out of the blue about a month ago and just had to have one. Got one a few days ago and it's everything I expected and more. I guess I should read the thread before posting... bad mod
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Speed917

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I can't remember what your original budget was but, since you're leaning towards the SC10 take a look at the new SC10RS. It's 2WD brushless with upgraded JConcepts rear tires from the get go, water resistant electronics and a 2.4ghz radio system. My LHS had one and I was tempted to convert from my B4 to the SC10 since the rest of the world seems to stock SC parts instead of buggy parts. They were selling it for $300.
Weird you mentioned this since my SC10 is on backorder so i cancelled it, i waas looking into the SC10 RS but had no idea what the difference was. SO basically im paying $40 more for tires? Also im not interested in the SC10 body at all, what option do i have to change it ?
BTWthis thing will NEVERsee a track/shirt course

Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say then that you might want the traxxas stampede 4x4 rtr then. Don't get me wrong the short course trucks are great but any kind of dept to the grass or rough terraign will make having fun a lot less fun. Ground clearance on the other hand is what makes a monster great fun. Maybe they are not best handling but you will love the fun factor clearance adds. The other electric 4x4 monsters i know of are expensive. Have you looked at kyosho?

good luck
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Speed917

ORIGINAL: silverman1

I gotta say then that you might want the traxxas stampede 4x4 rtr then. Don't get me wrong the short course trucks are great but any kind of dept to the grass or rough terraign will make having fun a lot less fun. Ground clearance on the other hand is what makes a monster great fun. Maybe they are not best handling but you will love the fun factor clearance adds. The other electric 4x4 monsters i know of are expensive. Have you looked at kyosho?

good luck
Kyosho never heard of the brand, do they make quality products?how are there BL setups ?

I did look them up but i mean i cant tell a lot from pictures and i couldnt find much info on them, besides their nitro versions are great and their chain crive system from the 80's

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Freezetron

Kyosho products catter to the diehard racers, not beginners or bashers.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speed917

I can't remember what your original budget was but, since you're leaning towards the SC10 take a look at the new SC10RS. It's 2WD brushless with upgraded JConcepts rear tires from the get go, water resistant electronics and a 2.4ghz radio system. My LHS had one and I was tempted to convert from my B4 to the SC10 since the rest of the world seems to stock SC parts instead of buggy parts. They were selling it for $300.
Weird you mentioned this since my SC10 is on backorder so i cancelled it, i waas looking into the SC10 RS but had no idea what the difference was. SO basically im paying $40 more for tires? Also im not interested in the SC10 body at all, what option do i have to change it ?
BTWthis thing will NEVERsee a track/shirt course

Well, some noteable differences are not just the tires but, it uses hex mount wheels all around instead of B4 / T4 style wheels so you can use any standard SC wheel. It features Deans battery connections and the receiver resides inside of a sealed box to make it water resistant. Cool thing is that if your local track has a SC Spec class, this truck is a shoe in.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

Kyosho products catter to the diehard racers, not beginners or bashers.
Kyosho=Tamiya, as far as where they stand in the grand scheme of things with all things RC.
They make both hardcore race stuff AND basher cheap stuff and it's all nice.

Also it's spelled CATER.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:33 AM
cumquat

BTW this thing will NEVER see a track/shirt course

Well, some noteable differences are not just the tires but, it uses hex mount wheels all around instead of B4 / T4 style wheels so you can use any standard SC wheel. It features Deans battery connections and the receiver resides inside of a sealed box to make it water resistant. Cool thing is that if your local track has a SC Spec class, this truck is a shoe in.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

but, it uses hex mount wheels all around instead of B4 / T4 style wheels so you can use any standard SC wheel.
No such thing, there, chief.

Some use 0 offset wheels, some use a proprietary offset (Kyosho/Blitz, Slash rear/slash front, XXX SCT rear/front, etc). 0 offset is slowly becoming a standard, but it is by no means a standard.

And even when you get into the 0 offset stuff, you can't use SC10 4x4 wheels on a Losi Ten SCTE, and such, because the webbing on the SC10 4x4/ProLine ProTrac 0 offset wheels rub the arm on an SCTE.

So, no standard.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:34 PM
BKoz559

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me rephrase "standard" to "14mmhex" wheels. RC Car Action was my source of information.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Let me rephrase ''standard'' to ''14mm hex'' wheels. RC Car Action was my source of information.
As usual, RCCA is WRONG because they are 12mm hexes[&:]
Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Let me rephrase ''standard'' to ''14mm hex'' wheels. RC Car Action was my source of information.
As usual, RCCA is WRONG because they are 12mm hexes[&:]
thats the reason i stopped buying that expensive and painful toilet paper. they never get facts straight and they put a traxxas catalog in the middle.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 AM
alee

Hi you can try some of these cars from ********: rc-biler they are good beginner cars.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:21 PM
thehuntingterminator

well, you get better tires, BL system, aluminum heavy-duty shocks (something you will want for bashing), and several other nice upgrades you will want later down the road. its really just much nicer and a do-more version.

BTW this thing will NEVER see a track/shirt course

Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM
zaldabenld

suprised i havent seen anything about redcat on here. Most LHS's wont carry parts but they are cheap as dirt online. You may want to checkout redcatracing.com and check out their vehicles. I have a redcat caldera, traxxas emaxx and a hpi blitz. Any car you buy is going to break. I would go with redcat starting off just for the price of the original car.. or you can hit up E-bay. There are tons of rolling chassis's and cheaper out of the box cars than on the actual websites. the 1/8 scale redcats come with 2 lipos and a brushless system for under 360 and on ebay you can find them for around 250-300 easy. they are fairly durable and you get alot for the price as apposed to traxxas and hpi which have more expensive parts just for the name. (i love my caldera even though i destroyed it by putting a mamba monster with 4s lipo's in it =(,
Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are 2 beginner rc brands
Redcat and Traxxas
I can get a BL redcat 1/10 4wd buggy for $200 at my lhs
I can get a Traxxas VXL Bandit that is 2wd for $500 at my lhs
Both are beginner rc's band are as good as each other.
But one is $300 more.
Which I can get also another Redcat brushless touring, buggy, truck and a lipo charger and battery,
For less than the price of the Bandit.

So if I was looking for a beginner RC which way would I go?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Redcat and Traxxas
But one is $300 more.
Which I can get also another Redcat brushless touring, buggy, truck and a lipo charger and battery,

LOL a Bandit VXL for $500? They go for $250-265 at ThunderbirdJunkie's LHS...

The Bandit is a ripoff, but a Redcat for 200 dollars is an even BIGGER ripoff ITBJHO.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Redcat and Traxxas
But one is $300 more.
LOL a Bandit VXL for $500? They go for $250-265 at ThunderbirdJunkie's LHS...

The Bandit is a ripoff, but a Redcat for 200 dollars is an even BIGGER ripoff ITBJHO.
Traxxas are ripoff at my lhs, doesn't matter for me because I don't want to buy any of traxxaturds anyway. As for Redcats, I'd rather save up for something better.
The annoying thing is that both my lhs sell associated sc10 brushless for $395. I hear they go for $250 in the USA.

My favourite brands are Tamiya, Associated, Losi and HPI

Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Haddi Taha

double post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Being in Australia, ThunderbirdJunkie forgot that you lived down south.

That being said...$200 for a Redcat and $365for an AE brushless is INSANE, because the AE car and the Redcat in the US are NOT that far off on prices.

If you want some killer American prices, ThunderbirdJunkie will be happy to help you out if you want him to, just send him a PM and he'll get you taken care of. No profit will be added on his end. Well, maybe $10 US, just to add to the Tekin RS Pro fund for his 1/10 2w buggy[&:]
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TBJ your pm box is full. I'll delete this message when you've seen it.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Haddi Taha

Being in Australia, ThunderbirdJunkie forgot that you lived down south.

That being said...$200 for a Redcat and $365for an AE brushless is INSANE, because the AE car and the Redcat in the US are NOT that far off on prices.

If you want some killer American prices, ThunderbirdJunkie will be happy to help you out if you want him to, just send him a PM and he'll get you taken care of. No profit will be added on his end. Well, maybe $10 US, just to add to the Tekin RS Pro fund for his 1/10 2w buggy[&:]
Haddi Taha will love to contribute and extra $10 for TBJ's Tekin RS Pro if you help him get a AE cheap if he needs one in the future

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

K...the shipping may be the killer...but the offer is there regardless[8D]
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Im at work, so didnt have time to read the whole thread, but anyways...

If you are in grass and wooded area's any amount of time running, you do NOT want a short course truck, and a stadium truck is only going to be decent with some larger, meatier tires. For some reason most guys love SC trucks these days and like to reccomend them even for offroad bashing. My father in law's blitz would get stuck in the yard and i would come behind with my stampede, push him out, and then drive through the same place.

Short course trucks IMO are not good bashers unless you are on smooth dirt, parking lots, etc... No ground clearance, and a small tire are not what you want for being offroad.

A stadium truck with some ride height, and good tires would do ok depending on how rough your bashing spots are. I have owned several 2wd stampedes, and with good tires, they go really well for 2wd, but thick grass will still slow them down some.

For your price range, id say a 4x4 stampede would be the best bang for the buck. They are 4wd with good ground clearance, and they are supposed to handle fairly well. The stampede really doesent flip that easy as long as you dont get too excited and try doing a U-Turn at 40mph.

Most will dog traxxas, but for a RTR brushless, they are one of the toughest you can buy. I really like associated, but a T4.1 isnt going to be as strong as a rustler. It is a much nicer truck that will be very strong with some RPM arms though. Same with Losi. My father in law has a speed T and that thing is garbage IMO. The differential sucks, the A-Arms are weak, etc.... My stampede will take 3x the beating that thing will. HPI is the the best of both worlds for a basher IMO. They are built nice with some race truck features, but they are also extremely tough. A firestorm flux would be pretty good off road and on with some meaty tires and raised ride height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.