Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

can you take rc car on plane?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
1speedracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you take rc car on plane?

Im going to Florida in a couple weeks and i want to take my rc car. will i be able to take it on the plane with me, and i dout it but will i be able to take my nitro fuel too? i really hope i can because i dont think theres any hobbie stores in the area to buy the fuel. so if anyone has done this before plz tell me what they did.thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: can you take rc car on plane?

Been to and from airports in FL with my cars on planes. Got hassled big time about my starter box, thought it was a bomb - but never with the cars themselves. Just make sure the engine and fuel tank have NO fuel in them. one drop, and they wont let it on.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:54 PM
ndeepoffroad

UPS your nitro to your destination and tell them to hold it for you when it arrives...(your hotel or condo or whatever) they should accept the package and hold it for you if you let them know that you are sending one. I wouldn't recommend UPSing your car though, I worked for UPS as an unloader on the Pre-load shift, and we beat those packages up trying to unload them so fast (the boss made us unload 1 truck/45 min...very hard to do)
Old 02-03-2005, 06:07 PM
1speedracer

so i can take it on the plane but with no fuel what so ever. that sucks.Maybe i could UPS my fuel and take the car with me on the plane.thanks for the reply
Old 02-03-2005, 06:37 PM
joey4420

Also keep in mind that all your tools for you vehicle will need to go on as regular baggage, don't try to take any tools as carry on.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:38 PM
cjennings

I Live3 in Floida and what area are you going to the too hobby shop closetes to where i live is (I live in miami) The closest one to me and by far the best is Crown Hobby on 7439 CORAL WAY
MIAMI, FL 33155. Also i have found the best way to find stuff is www.therealyellowpages.com
Old 02-03-2005, 08:39 PM
ncgrunt

UPS your nitro to your destination and tell them to hold it for you when it arrives...(your hotel or condo or whatever) they should accept the package and hold it for you if you let them know that you are sending one. I wouldn't recommend UPSing your car though, I worked for UPS as an unloader on the Pre-load shift, and we beat those packages up trying to unload them so fast (the boss made us unload 1 truck/45 min...very hard to do)
If you do ship it, you'll have to ship it in quarts and be sure it gets labeled ORM-D. Shipping by the gallon would require hazmat shipping papers, and UPS won't accept those from anyone but a contract shipper. I really wouldn't do that, though if at all possible. There's probably a hobby store somewhere nearby, if you just do some research.

Your car will make it through UPS ok, if you know how to package it. Get a box large enough to give space on all sides of it, and be sure it is completely surrounded by packing peanuts or some other material to absorb shocks. Then -important- tape the box VERY VERY well. Not just one swipe of tape down the seams- cover that sucker up.

Btw, I work the preload as well. If you think unloading is bad, you must have never gotten to load package cars.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
ndeepoffroad

PRELOAD BLOWS NUTS!!!! I almost got to work reload one day, but I got out of it... I just didn't like getting up at 2:50 and being at work at 3:15...that sucked...it was Xmas so we had like 5 or 6 trucks/morning for 2 people to unload....

Yeah, we beat those packages UP bad...you gotta put some reinforcement in the box if you are shipping some thing fragile. I would say make the box at least 2 times the size of the thing you are packing. TAPE TAPE TAPE TAPE TAPE TAPE

Did I mention use TAPE!
Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 PM
1speedracer

you guys are making me scared..... lol.i dont know if im going to take it now. damn that really sucks that you have to go though all that bs just to take a freakin toy with you to another state. OHHH WELL!!!!!!

ARRRRR
Old 02-04-2005, 03:07 AM
fhm101

Don't try to send fuel, just buy it locally.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
ncgrunt

PRELOAD BLOWS NUTS!!!! I almost got to work reload one day, but I got out of it... I just didn't like getting up at 2:50 and being at work at 3:15...that sucked...it was Xmas so we had like 5 or 6 trucks/morning for 2 people to unload....
Nah, if you were temp you just weren't there long enough to get used to it. I'd rather work it than reload. 3 trailers/person is really less than what our guys have.... this Christmas we peaked at about 15,000, which is 13-15 trailers, and we never have more than 4 guys unloading.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:02 AM
ndeepoffroad

yeah, about the time I left I was getting used to my back hurting like a **** and being tired all the time....LOL
Old 02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I did last year on a trip to Atlanta last year... I had my two trucks... MT and Rustler as carry-on... I was very upfront with the baggage/security as to what they were.... Make sure no fuel at all and don't even try to bring any.... They wanted to inspect my regular luggage to see if any fuel... I really don't blame them.... put all your tools in reg luggage and you will be set... One last thing... make sure your trucks are wrapped in smaller carry on bags.. if they don't fit into overhead.. they will toss them in belly of the plane without proper protection....
Don't put r/c cars in regular luggage... the electronics fromn the rx and esc could be mistaken for something else.. these should be with you at all times.... I had no major problems....
Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM
1speedracer

ok thanks for the info. ill do it
Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
owen221

I live in Utah and I'm going to New Jersey for the summer.  I want to bring my e-revo brushless with me and I checked the size it fits in the carryon overhead space.  I'm putting my tools in my regular luggage.  However, I'm not sure if I should carryon my Lipo batteries or put them in my regular luggage with my tools.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like a horror movie "Lipos on a plane".

What's in the metal box? "My batteries". Why do you have them in these funny little fiberglass bags in a metal box? "So if they spontaneously burst into flames the bags and box will contain the fire".

LOL Don't think the batteries will be going on the plane after that answer.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
Passengers may carry consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent
lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell
phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
o Passengers can also bring two (2) larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25
grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger
extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size.

http://safetravel.dot.gov/documents/..._batteries.pdf
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have flown with my cars a bunch of times. I have one of those OFNA car bags, I just bring my car as a carry on. The charger/batteries/parts just go in my checked bag. Never had a problem, not even once. I get a bunch of looks too as its running through the x-ray scanner.