Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Selling on Ebay. Leave it whole or part it out?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Selling on Ebay. Leave it whole or part it out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling on Ebay. Leave it whole or part it out?

I have a vintage Losi JRX-T. Parts have not been made for this forever. Would I be better off selling this on ebay as a roller (it only needs an esc) or should I part it out.

This will be my first auction on Ebay so I'd love opinions from people who have done it before.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:38 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Selling on Ebay. Leave it whole or part it out?

If you just want to get rid of it sell whole. If you want to make money part it out.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

You can sell a motorcycle for $500. The same bike parted out will reap $2,000
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

You can sell a motorcycle for $500. The same bike parted out will reap $2,000
Potentially, yes. However, does the OP wish to spend the time disassembling the vehicle and creating listings for all the different items?

Remember too, Ebay will charge a final value fee of about 9% on top of the listing fee (if any) plus a shipping fee. I've yet to figure what this charge is for but it's roughtly 1% of the final price. Also, PayPal takes about 3-5% cut for transferring the money from the buyer to you. In the end you loose about $15 or so on a $100 sale. Be sure to accurately weigh and measure the size of the package before you list the item so the shipping charges will be accurate. There's nothing worse than charging the customer one amount then getting to FedEx or the Post Office and find out the actual cost is significantly higher.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 AM
fasterrcs

plus not all parts are in high demand it could take sufficiently longer to sell one part then another
Old 06-24-2011, 05:07 AM
DaveG55

And, since it's an older vehicle, parts demand may not be as high so it may take quite a while to sell everything that is going to sell. And you may still end up with parts no one wants.
The potential may be there to make more parting it out but the time and work load will increase greatly as well. And don't forget, unless you have access to pick-up service, there may be fuel costs taking stuff to the shipper.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Scottgir

If the truck is in very good shape. You're looking at $50-$75 for the truck.

If you sell the parts individually, you could potentially go higher than that, but keep in mind, if it's your first selling on EBAY, you don't have any rating and people aren't going to give you premium $$ because of that. Also, if you're selling the parts separately, they need to be in good shape.

The shocks, tranny and chassis by themselves (if in very good shape) will sell for the same as the vehicle itself. BUT condition is everything.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

All are very good points and I listed it whole with a starting bid at $20. If I have to drop that I'm good with that too. Ultimately, I need to get rid of it (and other stuff) as I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and am being taken over by RC cars, trucks helicopters and other "toys."