Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Aftershock 8e * Stock Tires Are Horrible On The Track *

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Aftershock 8e * Stock Tires Are Horrible On The Track *

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Gabet95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftershock 8e * Stock Tires Are Horrible On The Track *

Well I've had my Redcat "Aftershock 8e" for about 3 weeks now and I must say.... I'm very impressed.!.!.

I've been using it mostly on paved surfaces (streets and parking lots)... I've bashed it at a local golf coarse (after hours ) and the truck handles pretty good and is blistering fast out of the box. The only issues with it so far are the shocks.... Redcat Racing has already replaced the 2 rear shocks last week due to defects (not holding fluid). Now the fronts are blown out too. Customer Support was very easy to work with and had new parts at my door within 3 days.. I'll keep you guys posted on how Redcat handles the issue with the front shocks.

Anyhow, back to the reason for this post....
I decided to take my Aftershock 8e to the local outdoor 1/8th dirt track (very smooth hard pack) to see how capable it was... What a disappointment.!.!
This thing was all over the place. I mean, I could not get it to hookup at all....on the straight away, going in to turns, powering out of turns. Even at 1/8th of the throttle the truck seemed completely out of it's element. On a few occassions it barely made it over some very steep table top jumps....Ok let me explain this a bit. On the way up the table top jump the car would spin out of control and stall out half way up the jump. Then after I gained controll it had a hard time just rolling over the the jump. The truck would start drifting horizontally across the face of the jump, kinda felt like it didn't have enough traction up front.

I'm thinking the tires are just crap and the major reason for the poor handling, but even the servo wont center the front wheels back to a nuetral position, which causes you to fight to straighten the truck out of turns and landings.

I did manage a few gnarly jumps and even some NOT so good landings....NO broken parts, this truck is ROCK solid (well except for the shocks).

I'm thinking about buying a set of 17mm AKA PRO-5 wheels with JConcepts Double Dees or Goose BumpsTruck tires to see if that makes any difference in the trucks overall handling. I really want a wide tire that will provide a lot of ground contact, but that wont balloon too much.

Please feel free to provide me with any feedback as to what I might be able to do to improve the Trucks handling.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 PM
jackstraw72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aftershock 8e * Stock Tires Are Horrible On The Track *

I also have the same issue with shocks i had to replace the rear differential due to bad bearing after opening the case it looked like minimum of grease im new to cars this is my first so not sure just learning .

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftershock 8e * Stock Tires Are Horrible On The Track *

If you have been bashing the car with those tires on paved surfaces for 3 weeks, of course its going to handle crap on the track (especially since the stock tires are not the best)
Ask some guys what tires they are using at your local track. Then get a set or 2 depending on your budget. Save those tires only for the track and use the stockers for bashing.

EDIT: You will also need to do abit of tuning on your suspension (camber, droop, toe, caster, wheelbase, ride height, shock positions, roll centers ect)