Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Savage half tank EXTREME lean problem.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage half tank EXTREME lean problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage half tank EXTREME lean problem.

ORIGINAL: 378

It will be down on power, it will be making strange popping noises,
Noticeably down on power? I never noticeably lost power. And when it hits around 300 it makes a weird noise, but its not a popping noise, more like a REALLY leaned out noise that wasn't any louder than normal . Think I'm good?
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say it was on the edge of detonation, but it wasn't in full blown damaging the engine detonation. Nothing you need to worry about.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Sigma.40

I'd say it was on the edge of detonation, but it wasn't in full blown damaging the engine detonation. Nothing you need to worry about.
Awesome.

I got the fuel tank on and while I was at it changed all the fuel lines so hopefully that helps. Though, its raining right now so I can't go try it out. Bought some Ofna throttlelinkage that my friend has been bugging me to install on it so maybe I'll do that.

378, On a separate note,that GST 7.7 Iasked you aboutdidn't work out. I asked the guy 3 times how he broke it in. The 1st response was that he used Traxxas fuel. The 2nd response was that he just ran 20 tanks through it. And the 3rd time he just didn't respond, so oh well. I found a really nice, heavily upgraded Savage XL that made me lose sleep thinking about it, so I may just pick that up tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, there is a difference between detonation and preignition. Detonation happens when the plug element crushes and releases small bits of platinum into the cylinder, which stick to the head and piston. These small pieces of platinum react with the fuel (detonates), causing multiple small explosions each cycle. This is where the clicking sound comes from. It also causes pitting on the head and piston from the element banging around. There is really no "edge" of detonation, it either happens, or it doesn't. Sometimes it's intermittent though.

Now, preignition is different. It's usually caused by too much oil, improper timing/porting, too hot of a plug, and the wrong compression ratio. Preignition makes the engine sound raspy, lean, and a bit louder then usual. There really isn't a noticeable power loss, as it happens in the upper rpm bands. Preignition is hard on plugs, and can lead to detonation... which can be a real pain in the ass to figure out.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pre-ignition is the edge of detonation. It's not hard enough to damage the engine, but it's a sign the engine wants to start misfiring, and if it isn't checked and corrected it will soon go into full detonation, which will damage it.

Guess we're just using two separate terms to describe the same thing. [&:]
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Sigma.40

Had it running with the 2nd tank and theOfna linkage but 2 minutes into the run my spur gear stripped out (unrelated- its been needing to be replaced for some time now). Will have to try again on Monday.

-In those 2 minutes, though, it seemed to get enough fuel, but no telling if it will work until I can run a whole tank. How much will the 2nd tank affect my tune?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 AM
subbass
My Feedback: (13)

Have you tried a new tank?Does the engine lean out when the fuel level reaches the tank halfs it may have a tiny leak there.