RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Homemade Nitro fuel

Old 10-02-2011, 04:55 AM
PeeBeMe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Homemade Nitro fuel

Has anybody ever did this WITH pic's ?
Pro's & Con's to doing it for the first timers like myself.
Do you guys think its worth it & ONE more thing, Is there any video proof of making homemade fuel out there?
AND WHERE DO I GO TO GET EVERY THING I NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE FUEL
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Homemade Nitro fuel

ORIGINAL: PeeBeMe

Has anybody ever did this WITH pic's ?
Pro's & Con's to doing it for the first timers like myself.
Do you guys think its worth it & ONE more thing, Is there any video proof of making homemade fuel out there?
AND WHERE DO I GO TO GET EVERY THING I NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE FUEL
I've been burning homebrew fuel all year long in all of my RC glow engines. For the most part it is pretty easy, though it can get a little messy in the beginning. I'll explain in minute. All you really need to make up a gallon of fuel is knowing first off how much oil and nitro you want. Most if not all homebrewers will measure by volume. If you measure by weight, you will have to adjust your quantity of oil. 12% oil by volume is really like 9-10% by weight. (dont quote my numbers 100%, they're just examples)

Once you know how much oil and nitromethane, whats left is methanol. I use a 32oz Pyrex glass measuring cup and just measure out each ingredient I need, add to jug and once the jug is full give it a good shake. I use all castor oil which is thicker so it takes more shaking. Some oils have defoaming agents in them (like Klotz) and others do not. Castor by itself doesnt defoam well in fuel, in fact it can actually make the bubbles worse. I use what a lot of other guys use to defoam their fuel: Armorall Original. 2 quirts to a gallon is usually enough to keep bubbles at bay. A 3rd squirt wont hurt anything. (The armorall breaks the surface tension of the bubbles. )

So.. Glass measuring cup = get at just about any grocery store, super store, or maybe even a dollar store.
Methanol = get from a local Oil supplier or Automotive race track/Speed shop. I got mine from a company called Lubrication Technologies. 5-gallon Metal can was $32
Oil = I use Castor from SIG Manufacturing. $22 a gallon +shipping. Synthetics and Synthetic blends are more expensive than just castor. I am doing this on the cheap, so I use just Castor.
Nitromethane = Can be tricky. Its a very volatile fluid so Hazmat fees usually apply, and can be as high as $25-30. Torco fuels sells 100% pure nitro for around $45 but you might have shipping and hazmat fees on top of that. I got mine in a 80%/20% diluted mix (80% nitro 20% methanol) to avoid hazmat fees. It was $13.75 a quart. I got this from FHS Supply Co.

My metal can of methanol had no spout, just a metal cap. Using a spout of some sort or a really big funnel will help with the mess the alcohol makes. Methanol has a weird surface tension on metal. It will want to stick to the can so-to-speak so it will drip while pouring. Its nothing like pouring water.

Now for my disclaimer. Read Carefully Making your own fuel can be fun, and cheaper than buying fuel at the hobby shop. However - IT IS DANGEROUS. It should be made and mixed outside and away from flammable stuff. Alcohol fires can be started by static electricity and the flames are almost impossible to see. Nitromethane is as dangerous if not more than methanol. Have a fire extinguisher on-hand to combat alcohol fires just in case, wear gloves, and try not to sniff too much of the stuff. It can make you dizzy.

I would say this should be an 18 years old + activity. I'm serious. It wouldnt be all that hard to burn a house down with this stuff. This all sounds like a lot (or maybe it doesnt) but I cant stress enough the care that needs to be taken handling this stuff. Also - I dont take pictures when I mix fuel up. I do not want to chance a static spark.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:37 AM
PeeBeMe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks my friend ! your very helpful
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 AM
PeeBeMe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

will it be 20% nitro still or 30% nitro after this ?
I want to make up maybe a gallon of my own fuel: help if can
with your fuel do you think it runs better on performance or just on tuning & do you think your fuel is better then traxxas 20 % fuel ?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

will it be 20% nitro still or 30% nitro after this ?
I want to make up maybe a gallon of my own fuel: help if can
with your fuel do you think it runs better on performance or just on tuning & do you think your fuel is better then traxxas 20 % fuel ?
I make 20% nitro and 12% oil for car engines.
.20 x 128 = 25.6 ounces of nitro
12% oil = .12 x 128 = 15.36 ounces of oil
68% methanol = .68 x 128 = 87.04 ounces methanol
25.6 + 15.36 + 87.04 = 128oz

If you wanted to make 30% nitro 12% oil it would be:
.30 x 128 = 38.4oz nitro
.12 x 128 = 15.36oz oil
Since I added 10% nitro, I have to subtract 10% from the methanol so
.58 x 128 - 74.24oz methanol
38.4+15.36+74.24 = 128.

You will probably not be able to source methanol in a quantity less than 5 gallons. If you do, it will cost more most likely.

I have found my engines to perform better on my homemade fuel than off the shelf fuel. I have an LST2 with .26 engine that would wheelie on occasion with 20% shelf fuel, and more often with 25% nitro shelf fuel. I get as good of performance from my homebrew 20% nitro blend that I got with 25% nitro shelf fuel (byrons Gen2 to be exact) and it costs $15 less a gallon to make myself. (its $36 a gallon or so at the LHS, plus tax.)

ANY fuel is better than Traxxas top fuel IMO. The stuff is junk. Hard to tune with, Hotter temps, and so on. My engines run cooler, and get the same run-time vs. 20% shelf fuel. Castor based fuels are messier, so there's more cleaning involved but you can lean the ever loving snot out of an engine and it will not burn up compared to using most synthetics at optimum mixture settings.. You would not get the overlean protection with synthetics that you get with castor, Bar none. Its a matter of Science, that is when compared to whats commercially available here in the US. Europe has much better synthetics but I have never used any of them.

edit: Added link to info on oils
http://www.georgiacombat.com/CASTOR_OIL.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM
PeeBeMe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

U seem to know a lot about this stuff & I thank you for all this info my friend.
Do you have any videos on youtube.com ?
My brother wanted to know if he could make special drag racing fuel ?????

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

U seem to know a lot about this stuff & I thank you for all this info my friend.
Do you have any videos on youtube.com ?
My brother wanted to know if he could make special drag racing fuel ?????

I researched the whole home-brew idea before I started doing it. I mainly did it out of cost cutting measures, but also to know exactly whats in the fuel I'm using. No super secret special additives, or fancy labelling. All glow/nitro engines have a simple fuel recipe that any engine will run on. Methanol, Oil, and Nitro. Some dont even need nitro! It doesnt get much simpler than Methanol and Oil.

I have a pair of videos on YouTube doing a break-in on an Enya .30 2-stroke airplane engine running on my fuel. At the current point of break-in, it would probably sound real bad to some guys because its run so rich but its the way it needs to be broke in. (NOT an ABC design) This fuel is my break-in blend, 5% nitro, 25% castor, 70% methanol.
Part 1, Muffled exhaust into empty bucket for noise factor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYqRrlO1FA
Part 2, Same setup but with water in the bucket. quieter yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36bpBMQm70I
No videos of making the fuel. I will not do it.